Request concerning additional function of Geometric Edge Lines

• The new function Geometric Edge Lines added from Poser11 is a cool function.
    However, this function doesn't cooperate in FireFly and SuperFly.
    This is very regrettable.

Even if it is Comic art, the PhotoReal method is important.
    The Geometric Edge Lines should be able to be used even by FireFly and SuperFly.

The Geometric Edge Lines supports only uniformity and the line thickness. (It is possible to change the thickness of each material. )I want to often add strength to the line intentionally.
    Therefore, the improvement is expected.
    Function to control line thickness by texture map (or Weight Map).
    It is hoped for.
    If it can control with Weight-Brush of poser, it is very great.
    0_1481863867611_poser.jpg The image is an image of the function.

My English might be poor. sorry.

• @yasyz The are two controls, I believe, in the material room. At the bottom of the main root panel (my terminology may be incorrect). You can adjust the line weight for each material zone from there. See Brian Haberlin's YouTube webinar for good explanation of how to use the Edge Lines function.

• Thank you. Your instruction to me.
    modification in line width of each material. I know it to be possible.

(It is possible to change the thickness of each material. )

In that sense, the description did.
    However, it might not been understood easily. (My English : because it is poor)
    It apologizes to you for it.

Function that I hope.
    The line width vary into a gradation or smoothly, bold and thinly.
    The artist freely must control and can the vary.
    By the texture map and weight map.
    This seems to be impossible in the current poser.

• Which render mode are you using ?

There are several ways in Poser to get cel-shaded appearance:

1. Suitable lighting plus Geometric Edge Line and Comic Book Colour Preview, then click Antialias render.
    2. Use cel-shaded JPG textures or shader materials, suitable lighting, and FireFly render.
    3. Use Non-PhotoRealistic (NPR) shaders, and suitable lighting, and SuperFly render.

I think method 3 may be able to give more control over variability to the key line or geometric edge line.

• I might not understand the intention of question.
    However, the answer is tried.

If it is only rendering of poser, it is Toon & Firefly or PreviewRender.
    There is a simple, high effect.
    If the target is an expression that it seems to be ANIME and to be MANGA, it is desirable. I think so.

However, when he postprocesses it with Photoshop etc.
    If it is it, SupurFly might be good.
    Light the shadow of it is rich, and it is accurate and information is rich.
    In this case, the edge line is separately rendering. necessity might exist.

• OK, I understand your point.

Perhaps Poser render result is not sufficient for complete look of certain anime or manga style. In that case, of course, it is the choice of artist to use other software to enhance the render. I think it is OK to do that.

May I share with you my own experiment with cel-shaded scene ? I am making my own figure for Poser. This is purely the geometric Edge Line and Comic Book Colour preview only.

• Thank you for the work ibr_remote
    I also adduce the sample (Poser prototype and experiment).

I am a character of the rigg and the polygon geometry of making by oneself.

I am using Blender MODO 3DsMax.
    However, they character & pose is management & custom is not so strong.
    The Character is breakable though CAT of 3DsMax high performance.
    And, the character is disposable in it (basic assumption).
    Moreover, they are very expensive.
    And, they are complex.

Study and the cost to maintain the skill are large loads to me.
    I am doing a big expectation to poser in the future.
    Thank you.

• @yasyz

I like your work ! Very cool.

Oh, there is one important point I found out about Poser Pro 11:-
    The internal name of the rig bone must be the same as Poser rules. For example, rHand bone bust be rHand in the SetUp Room. If the hnad is RH or RightHand or something like that, you cannot do animation when the rig is finished. Static pose is possible, but not animation. This is the same trouble when importing the FBX into Poser Pro 11. I cannot use animation because the internal bones name are different from Poser rules.

My software : Shade 3D, Blender 3D, MakeHuman, DesignDoll, PoserPro11.

• Modification of internal name rHand -> rHand01234.
    Poser does it by the import in FBX. It is the same also in the material name.

I do not understand why it is. This makes the user embarrassed.

The symmetry of pose and rig is not can because of this.
    To mend these, it save once (To cr2 etc.).
    And, PolyGroup-name of obj and the part name of cr2 are only corrected.

This is large trouble.
    It is necessary to fix this problem by Poser.

• Yes. I agree.

• Poser Ambassadors

The first letter of the bone name needs to be a lower case letter. It doesn't matter what the name of the bone is. If you want symmetry to work then left and right body parts need to be labeled l and r internally. Poser doesn't really have specific names you have to use (other than hip as the root of the figure), it just needs to follow specific naming conventions in order for everything to work correctly.

And weight maps have nothing to do with material settings. Weight maps are entirely for rigging, to make body parts bend smoothly. They should not be confused with line weights like in a 2D painting package.

If you skip to about 1 hour, in the webinar video posted above, you can see some tricks that help compliment the comic edge lines of figures, by painting texture maps with different lines and colors to be used with the comic settings in Poser.

• @AmbientShade
    I say remark. (Please forgive me)
    Your opinion is a mistake.
    Working of weight map (vertex map) is not only that.
    Actually, the control can various parameters in other 3D tools.
    It is specula and a transparency ‥ very many kinds of parameters can the control.
    In this method, it is an advantage not to use 2D tool.
    It is different there from the texture map.
    The control is interactively can with 3D tool.
    The image is an example of Modo to control the line width by weight map.

• Poser Ambassadors

@yasyz I don't know anything about Modo. I'm referring to Poser's weight maps. For specular and transparency in Poser (and most other 3D software) you use maps to control where it goes.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade - this link gives more info on what I believe @yasyz is referring to. Weight maps are a type of vertex map & can have a lot of different uses.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.