Can Poser help me with this?

• So, I have a basic understanding of Poser, and I'm needing to do a simple, top down view of a person walking, but I need to add a few more props to it, like I would like to add a weapon(s), be it a gun, knife, rpg, etc and have the weapon be locked to the hands, like you were doing it in real life?

I can't seem to find any tutorials online, YouTube or otherwise.

I want to end up with a small top down render of a model walking, that I'm able to import into a programming project I'm doing.

Is it possible?

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes, it's possible.

By "top down view", do you mean from precisely above, looking straight down ("top" orthogonal camera can do that)? Or an aerial view? Or do you mean the camera shot looks first at the face, then pans down?

Is this a single image of a person walking, or is it to be an animated sequence?

For the weapon, you can load a universal prop, position in the hand, and then parent the prop to the hand. Once parented, the prop will follow the hand.
    If you load a smart prop, it will position and parent itself.

You could render the doll as a PNG on a transparent background and import that. If an animation, I would render a series of PNGs.
    If you want the doll as a 3D mesh imported, then the destination program would have to be able to interpret the mesh, materials, and rigging. FBX format would suit most game engines.

What version of Poser do you have?

• Yeah, looking straight down, from the top of the head, and always at that position.

[ref google image search -
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Uhky1v0MJh4/TqcAQZV88qI/AAAAAAAAAPs/Jna3km2rzOc/s1600/blackfriday.PNG
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/5c/7d/a7/5c7da787f10ebbc2d7b7984173e47292.jpg]

I would be an animated sequence, but also a single image if they are not moving, but I'd like to have a animation for when I walk forwards, etc

Are you able to point me in the direction to locate these 'universal props' or 'smart props', are there any that are weapons?

I'd be happy to just output the PNG's and import them into my project, I'm not doing anything as advanced as to need mesh or FBX formats.

I'm running on 10.0.5.28925 for the version.

• Poser Ambassadors

I don't see any weapons in the included P10/Pro2014 content (except a belt-fed; hard to hold that in hand - although hand-carried belt feds do exist). There are a lot of weapons available in the stores (Content Paradise, et al), and there are a lot of freebies out there (ShareCG, et al).
    You'd need to note which doll(s) you're using and get smart props targeting that particular doll, if you want a smart prop. Otherwise, get any suitable weapon prop and fit it to the doll's hand, then parent the weapon to the doll's hand.

Funny; in real life I do a lot of gunsmithing, mostly exotic/experimental stuff, but the only weapons I've modeled for Poser are an elven sword and two light sabres.

Walk sequences can be made with Poser's walk desginer. You might also find pre-made walk sequences (they would be pose files PZ2 or maybe universal BVH). How well they fit depends on what dolls you use.

What doll bases did you intend to use? What type of weapon did you have in mind?

• Poser Ambassadors

• Yes, it's extremely easy. Load a default figure, parent a gun to the hand, choose one of the predefined walk cycles for the animation or create your own, choose a top camera or navigate there using one of the other cams (or create a custom one). Few test renders using the preview render, then the long wait whilst the quality renderer does its work.

• @seachnasaigh said in Can Poser help me with this?:

I don't see any weapons in the included P10/Pro2014 content (except a belt-fed; hard to hold that in hand - although hand-carried belt feds do exist). There are a lot of weapons available in the stores (Content Paradise, et al), and there are a lot of freebies out there (ShareCG, et al).
    You'd need to note which doll(s) you're using and get smart props targeting that particular doll, if you want a smart prop. Otherwise, get any suitable weapon prop and fit it to the doll's hand, then parent the weapon to the doll's hand.

Funny; in real life I do a lot of gunsmithing, mostly exotic/experimental stuff, but the only weapons I've modeled for Poser are an elven sword and two light sabres.

Walk sequences can be made with Poser's walk desginer. You might also find pre-made walk sequences (they would be pose files PZ2 or maybe universal BVH). How well they fit depends on what dolls you use.

What doll bases did you intend to use? What type of weapon did you have in mind?

Doll base, I hadn't decided on to be honest, I didn't want to 'deep delve' with it, to then find it didn't allow me to do it.. But, now I'll decide on the model, probably a free one, as I don't want to be spending money on something yet, I want these as 'prototype' graphics so to speak, but I want them to be mine, not pinched from google.

As for the weapons, I was going to have various weapons, I will expand as I go along, again, just starting out, I want to walk before I can run (or even crawl), so I'll start with a pistol and was thinking a rocket propelled grenade, later on, more advanced/funky weapons, even things like grenades, which will be great in Poser to animate, few key frames, have the grenade in the hand to the launch position, then remove the grenade from Poser, and continue the animation. :)

Thanks for the link in the next/previous post, I have found a few there, and I'll also check the other sites you mentioned to see if I can get anything suitable. I tried last night, found a OBJ AK47, and imported it, and a bit of scaling and position it was ok, but I wasn't at the 'parenting' stage, got to late, went to bed.

I'll have another play tonight when I get in from work (sheeeesh, full time life, and full time work always get in the way of my indie dreams)

Appreciate your help with this though.

• @matb said in Can Poser help me with this?:

Yes, it's extremely easy. Load a default figure, parent a gun to the hand, choose one of the predefined walk cycles for the animation or create your own, choose a top camera or navigate there using one of the other cams (or create a custom one). Few test renders using the preview render, then the long wait whilst the quality renderer does its work.

Sounds soooooooo easy... :) I'll have to do the research (help files, etc) on the 'parent a gun to the hand' part though.. :)

• @peejaygee said in Can Poser help me with this?:

Sounds soooooooo easy... :) I'll have to do the research (help files, etc) on the 'parent a gun to the hand' part though.. :)

Have you tried to right-clilck on the object and in the contextual menu, to choose parent '....' to ->
    You'll find the complete list of items of your scene.

• @Y-Phil said in Can Poser help me with this?:

@peejaygee said in Can Poser help me with this?:

Have you tried to right-clilck on the object and in the contextual menu, to choose parent '....' to ->
    You'll find the complete list of items of your scene.

Nope, that I haven't, like I said, I wanted to find out if the software could achieve what I was wanting before I deep delved, now I've found out it can, and how I can go about it, I will RTFM so I can see how it's done. :)

But, that being said, I now have one step less I need to look for, as you've been so gracious in telling me were to look... thank you.

• Poser Ambassadors

Poser comes with some dolls already included. What version of Poser do you have?

edit: Oh, I just remembered another weapon model - Ghostbuster proton packs. : D

• @seachnasaigh said in Can Poser help me with this?:

Poser comes with some dolls already included. What version of Poser do you have?

edit: Oh, I just remembered another weapon model - Ghostbuster proton packs. : D

P10 is the version I'm using.

• So, I'm getting there, so I imported a gun, parented it to the right hand, run it through the walk designer, have a naked body with hair (as I can't seem to get the clothes to match, even if they are under the same name [James]) looking from the top down, walking, swinging a gun.. :)

Now I need to make the arm stay locked, so it would be like you are pointing the gun, while walking, etc.. and also get the clothes to go over the top correctly... very weird.

• @peejaygee Apply the walk cycle first then open the animation pallete, pose the aiming arm in the first frame, and blank the rest of the frames for the arm in the animation palette.

Making clothes fit properly during animation can be a problem. I assume you have conformed them to start? Increasing their scale (or just the scale of offending parts - shoulders or feet) by 1 or 2% (in all or just certain axes) may help them to fit without body parts poking through.