Blending with texture?

• Hi there

Lets say you painted two overlapping colors with a brush with a nice texture.

Now you want to blend the two colors.

Then I would think: I just make a blender with the same texture as the brush and then I can make a nice blend.

But no matter what, the blend takes away the texture and leave a blurry area very visible because there is no texture in that area.

What am I missing with blenders and texture?

(I know I can make the texture as an overlay, but that is not the question)

Thanks

Merry Christmas
    Michael

• On the Texture tab for that blender you will get a visible texture if the setting "Method to apply texture is set to multiply , or subtract or Compare.... the problem then however is that the blend is not very strong. You can get some interesting blend Textures by not using texture but by using a rough shape ( e.g. some random leaf shapes) as you blender brush shape..... but then it won't match the texture of the non blended areas..... Bolder more contrasty textures will work with normal blender settings... so an alternative may be to copy your texture and make a very contrasty ( nearly pure black and Transparent version of it) and that may work for you.

Personally If I want a consistent and reliable texture then you know the answer..... I use it as a texture layer using either Overlay or the "texture Combine " setting.

• Thanks for the reply 888

I will try with a high contrast texture.

On a sidenote I did not know about Texture Combine.

Overlays seams to accentuate/favor darker colors more and have little effect on lighter colors. Texture combine affect all tones of colors more evenly it seams.

Mic

• @888toto how is the texture layer done?

• @RareWill In the Layer Property Palette there's a Texture Combine effect button. Place the texture layer at the top of the layer order and apply the effect.

• @garlam Love it!, is that new to this version?

• @RareWill No, its been there for ages... and note that you can then still give the layer a blending mode to further change the effect somewhat. The thing I notice now that I didn't notice before is that when set to "texture combine" it reveals a control for " strength " of the effect... not sure if that is new or just me missing it before.

• @888toto awesome, once again, thanks

• @888toto Do you know what the Area Color is for when the Texture Combine is active? It's always grayed out for me.

• @garlam said in Blending with texture?:

@888toto Do you know what the Area Color is for when the Texture Combine is active? It's always grayed out for me.
    Good question... to ungray it you go to menu View >show tone area and set it to "Show all tone areas" and "Include Image materials"... and the material shows up in the image in the selected color of the area Color setting. .... but then when you set it to " texture Combine" Area Color is now ungray and active .... but CSP ignores it anyway. So as far as I can tell it has no use whatsoever !

• @888toto Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have thought to look at Show Tone Area. I checked the manual. It says that with Texture Combine turned on this feature does nothing. I guess it's only available because the texture is an image material and area color works with image materials and tones but combine nullifies it.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.