Fur shaders in Superfly

• @redphantom @Glitterati3D @Boni

Saw some interesting posts in the superfly render thread about poser dynamic hair/fur in Superfly and would like to get input from folks about what they are doing for this. I have something simple that I'm making some test render of to make sure it looks good in all lighting situations. Anybody have any good shaders that work in Superfly should post them here with examples so we can collectively wrap out minds around this.

• I can't get anything that looks better than using normal maps. I experimented for quite a while, but that was as about as good as I could get.

I gave up on the Cycles hair and just used EzSkin3 on the fur on the cape.
    0_1482614240573_FurShaderSuperfly.jpg

• As I understand it, there's no "micro polygon displacement" in SuperFly either, so it's kind of a problem just with displacement maps. Correct?

I am reworking Samedi's textures, well touching them up overall, and there's no displacement in Superfly so I've had to make adjustments elsewhere.

• This is what I came up with. Works well for any lighting and any fur color although the fur is monochromatic.
    0_1482620860816_Fur Shader.jpg 0_1482620877728_Fur Black IDL.jpg 0_1482620889354_Fur Brown IDL+Sun.jpg 0_1482620897118_Fur White Studio.jpg

• my simple shader renders pretty fast on my crap i5.

I'll take a look at @redphantom shader that he/she posted in the other thread.

• @Netherworks You're correct. Superfly will require bump or normal maps as it doesn't do microdisplacement unless the topology is very dense.

• Those look really good. I'm really trying wiht Superfly but I'm by no means expert. I'm putting some of the glassier type materials for Samedi on the Physical root for Superfly and seems to be adequate and far better than they looked before at any rate :)

• @Netherworks said in Fur shaders in Superfly:

As I understand it, there's no "micro polygon displacement" in SuperFly either, so it's kind of a problem just with displacement maps. Correct?

All you have to do is change the skinning method to unimesh in the figure menu then increase the subdivision to 2 or 3 then microdisplacement works just fine in Superfly PROVIDED YOU DO NOT USE GPU RENDERING!

• @matb I think there is some confusion. The thread is about making usable shaders for dynamic hair/fur for use in Superfly. Using displacement to make an item furry is counter productive and won't look near as good as dynamic fur.

• OK! I checked out @redphantom fur shaders. I got great results with the more simple shader. The more complicated shader did not look good to me in any of my test renders so I wont post any here.
    His/Her simple shader looks more velvety than my simple shader and only takes a little longer to render. Here is that shader from redphantom:
    0_1482641441617_RPFur.jpg
    and some examples (ignore the arms in the one render because I forgot to load the new shader on them.)
    0_1482641506498_Fur Redfantom Ind_sun.jpg
    0_1482641519927_Fur Redfantomsimple.jpg

• here is the IDL lit render with redphantom's shader. Looks good in any lighting. I haven't tried changing the colors yet but that should not be a problem

0_1482641751799_Fur Redfantom IDL.jpg

• @ghostship said in Fur shaders in Superfly:

@matb I think there is some confusion. The thread is about making usable shaders for dynamic hair/fur for use in Superfly. Using displacement to make an item furry is counter productive and won't look near as good as dynamic fur.

Nope, no confusion. I was responding to gliteratti's comment - second in the thread, in which he said that using normal maps produced a better result than poser hair, and netherworks' response 3rd in the chain, in which he bemoaned the lack of superfly micro displacement

• Yeah, I was more asking for verification as I am not as experienced with Superfly as all of you are, with really great results, I might add :)

For a fur coat or stoal or whatnot, bump/displacement likely wouldn't add anything to it. But for short fur, I don't think it's necessarily counter productive to use those features. I'm not trying to take away from the gist of the thread though, if so I'll bow out, no worries :)

• @Netherworks I think I sounded like a dick back there and that wasn't my intention. Carry on folks!

• Oh, no worries from me. I'm really interested in learning from all of you and I think everyone's pov is valid :)

• @ghostship said in Fur shaders in Superfly:

@Netherworks I think I sounded like a dick back there and that wasn't my intention. Carry on folks!

If you're referring to your comment to me, I appreciated the tactful way you worded it, and you have provided far too much valuable help for me to spit the dummy over that one comment. Happy holidays!

• Poser Ambassadors

These are amazing!!! I love these. Good work all of you. I didn't realize this was possible.

• Sorry for being the last horse to finish the race.

Do you add these shaders onto any surface? I've been looking for a mink stole and jacket and coat. I've only found the jacket and want to make my own like the examples from above.

• @maestro The examples are using Poser's dynamic hair on clothing models to simulate the fur. here is a decent tute on putting hair on anything:

• Again, I'm still the slowest horse...

The video starts off with tileable hair textures which I haven't found anywhere. I understand the rest is that you generate the hair in the hairroom using the available parameters listed in the video. It sounds like I could take a simple jacket, remove all the textures in the material room and then generate hair (with or without hair tiles) until I get the thickness I want for the mink coat.

My models want a mink coat. I have a two long coats that I could remove the textures and take into the hair room. Before I spend a couple of hours trying to get it right, I would like to deepen my roots. Is my first paragraph correct?

Is that what was done by the guru ghostship?

@ghostship what coat did you use for your example?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.