I've got the most dislikes in forum history...

• Poser Ambassadors

Because that's not how the real world works. Everyone thinks they should be treated like snowflakes these days.

It's not about fighting. It's about open discussion and owning the consequences of your actions. Or in this case, statements - and understanding that everyone is not required to agree with you and shouldn't be expected to remain silent when they don't.

• @AmbientShade Where in the real world can you downvote people? Downvoting is an artificial convention on some sites online, and nothing more.

If you've got something to say, say it. Downvoting is meaningless—it's the online version of a grunt.

• Poser Ambassadors

True, but then so is upvoting, but I don't see anyone asking for that to be removed.

• @AmbientShade In the real world there are police who go after people who break the law in their jurisdiction. I consider the admins to be those police in cyberspace. Second, I certainly didn't entrap anyone. I woke up one morning and found someone had downvoted me for no more apparent reason than it was Friday. And they did it some 80 odd times. I have to admit though, that kind of crazy takes dedication.

• @eclark1849 and probably a LOT of Alcohol.

• @AmbientShade I gave you an upvote just to improve your day. :)

There's a huge difference between upvoting and downvoting. They're both vague, but upvoting is "thank you!" and "that's great!" while downvoting is "Ick!" and "You suck!"

• Poser Ambassadors

It's the same sort of mentality that only allows positive comments in the galleries. If you dare to say something is crap then you risk being reprimanded by the thought police. aka mods.

• @AmbientShade said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

True, but then so is upvoting, but I don't see anyone asking for that to be removed.

I'll be perfectly honest. I don't really care that much about the downvoting other than it's given me both amusement and bewilderment. I would like to know who I ticked off and why but otherwise... eh, no effect on my life so far.

• @eclark1849 Wait... does this go on my permanent record? :)

• And for the record, yes, I do believe that both the downvote AND the upvote have the potential for being abused but I haven't asked for either to be disabled.

• @AmbientShade My favorite advice for how to behave is Malcolm X's: "Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." No one can put a hand on anyone online, so there's no excuse for not treating people online with respect.

Yes, it's hard to do. I fail sometimes too.

But mods are under no obligation to make life easy for trolls. If you just want to downvote people, reddit is there for you.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

@AmbientShade In the real world there are police who go after people who break the law in their jurisdiction. I consider the admins to be those police in cyberspace. Second, I certainly didn't entrap anyone.

Using a feature of the forum is not breaking the law. and I said that having a feature there and then penalizing users for using that feature is entrapment. Didn't say that you were doing any entrapment. Admin was talking about issuing a warning or temp ban on the user(s) responsible, which I don't agree with because the forum allows it. Or did. That's basically punishing the user for the short-comings of the forum design. Implementing a limitation is a more logical approach. Not gettign butt-hurt over people disliking posts is also a logical approach.

• @AmbientShade I gave you another plus because I agree the mods shouldn't do a temp ban on anyone who was downvoting. Rules should never be retroactive.

• @AmbientShade Again, I know the Admin spoke of what type of punishment to dole out. I don't think he was specific or even said what he decided. In either case, I didn't ask for any punishment. Disabling the downvote as i understand it was merely an attempt to stop the abuse of the system until a better fix could be found. Personally, I think the upvote is being overused now, but I also understand why the Admin left it in place.

• @AmbientShade Rather interesting point of view coming from someone who used to be a mod.

• @AmbientShade said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

It's the same sort of mentality that only allows positive comments in the galleries. If you dare to say something is crap then you risk being reprimanded by the thought police. aka mods.

I agree with this. I think the downvoting should be reinstated but I have two requisites.

1: The names of the downvoters should be listed.

2: Downvotes require a reason and can be viewed at any time by the effected user.

• @eclark1849 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

@AmbientShade Again, I know the Admin spoke of what type of punishment to dole out. I don't think he was specific or even said what he decided. In either case, I didn't ask for any punishment. Disabling the downvote as i understand it was merely an attempt to stop the abuse of the system until a better fix could be found. Personally, I think the upvote is being overused now, but I also understand why the Admin left it in place.
    Just for that you get another +1 from me. >:[]

• We are looking into what to do about the whole voting system.

Disabling down voting was done to stop someone from intentionally abusing the system, that's it.
    The way the system is set up, you can't vote at all until you have a certain amount of rep.
    Abusing the system allows someone to remove a regular posters voting privileges, even if they did nothing wrong.
    I think that most of us can agree that that should not be apart of the system in its previous form.

As for what else was done, that was discussed and dealt with in a way that might surprise you.

I do appreciate everyone ideas on it, simply because we want this to be a place for everyone.

With that said,

Happy New Year everyone.

• Poser Ambassadors

IMHO

A vote should only be possible with a motivation.

• Motivate why you like something.
    • Motivate why you do not like something.

Voting, if done properly, can be very constructive.

Best regards all, and have a fine 2017.

• @johndoe641 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

@AmbientShade said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

2: Downvotes require a reason and can be viewed at any time by the effected user.

Disagree. I would LIKE downvoters to express their reasoning but I don't think they should be enforced. This is all getting a bit totalitarian for my liking, and I agree 100% with ambient shade. You can't provide a feature then get butt hurt that that feature was used in a way that was never prohibited.
    On one hand, I can see why shivr would want to stop the forum descending into rude anarchy, and on the other, how old are we for goodness sakes?!