I've got the most dislikes in forum history...

• @AmbientShade Again, I know the Admin spoke of what type of punishment to dole out. I don't think he was specific or even said what he decided. In either case, I didn't ask for any punishment. Disabling the downvote as i understand it was merely an attempt to stop the abuse of the system until a better fix could be found. Personally, I think the upvote is being overused now, but I also understand why the Admin left it in place.

• @AmbientShade Rather interesting point of view coming from someone who used to be a mod.

• @AmbientShade said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

It's the same sort of mentality that only allows positive comments in the galleries. If you dare to say something is crap then you risk being reprimanded by the thought police. aka mods.

I agree with this. I think the downvoting should be reinstated but I have two requisites.

1: The names of the downvoters should be listed.

2: Downvotes require a reason and can be viewed at any time by the effected user.

• @eclark1849 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

@AmbientShade Again, I know the Admin spoke of what type of punishment to dole out. I don't think he was specific or even said what he decided. In either case, I didn't ask for any punishment. Disabling the downvote as i understand it was merely an attempt to stop the abuse of the system until a better fix could be found. Personally, I think the upvote is being overused now, but I also understand why the Admin left it in place.
    Just for that you get another +1 from me. >:[]

• Poser Ambassadors

We are looking into what to do about the whole voting system.

Disabling down voting was done to stop someone from intentionally abusing the system, that's it.
    The way the system is set up, you can't vote at all until you have a certain amount of rep.
    Abusing the system allows someone to remove a regular posters voting privileges, even if they did nothing wrong.
    I think that most of us can agree that that should not be apart of the system in its previous form.

As for what else was done, that was discussed and dealt with in a way that might surprise you.

I do appreciate everyone ideas on it, simply because we want this to be a place for everyone.

With that said,

Happy New Year everyone.

• Poser Ambassadors

IMHO

A vote should only be possible with a motivation.

• Motivate why you like something.
    • Motivate why you do not like something.

Voting, if done properly, can be very constructive.

Best regards all, and have a fine 2017.

• @johndoe641 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

@AmbientShade said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

2: Downvotes require a reason and can be viewed at any time by the effected user.

Disagree. I would LIKE downvoters to express their reasoning but I don't think they should be enforced. This is all getting a bit totalitarian for my liking, and I agree 100% with ambient shade. You can't provide a feature then get butt hurt that that feature was used in a way that was never prohibited.
    On one hand, I can see why shivr would want to stop the forum descending into rude anarchy, and on the other, how old are we for goodness sakes?!

• @admin said:

@matb
    I didn't find the last sentence in that post to be funny at all.
    I hope you don't mind me deleting the post, it certainly is not constructive in any way.

I wasn't aware I had to get the approval of your sense of humour? That was the one part that was absolutely serious. And frankly it irritates that YOU have now made yourself the arbiter of what is or is not constructive. I was genuinely urging a bit of deeper thought on the issue as to WHY the downvoter did what he did. Maybe his wife really DID die over christmas, or left him, or his kid got hit by a car. I was urging you to take the compassionate route but apparently it's not just the users who overreact. Language and tone policing is for school children not adults, and I resent you abusing your moderation powers in this way.

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb

No one over reacted
    No one abused their power.
    We even went as far to ask what all of you think about it as well.

Things were discussed, the points returned, the downvoting disabled, etc

On the arbitration part, every forum has the right to do whatever they feel is best.
    A lot goes on in the background, that the general users never see.
    And the compassionate part you mentioned, we did exactly that.
    It was partly your idea...

Seriously thou, we are not out to be the bad guys, but at the same time we do have a job to do.

• @shvrdavid said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

We are looking into what to do about the whole voting system.

Disabling down voting was done to stop someone from intentionally abusing the system, that's it.

With that said,

Happy New Year everyone.

I'm just getting around to catching up on this thread, and I'm happy to see you've disabled down voting.

There are times I like to use a Like (or on this forum an Up vote), but this is the first forum I have come across (and I'm a member on lots of forums) where there has been the ability to down vote a post, so disabling that option is definitely fine with me.

The suggestion to limit how many votes can be made per day, that's fine by me as well. I'm sure I'll be in favor of whatever the admins/moderators here finally decide, but leaving the down voting disabled would be a plus in my book.

To quote Scott, with that said, Happy New Year folks. I only have 1 hour and 52 minutes before celebrating, and I'm looking forward to 2017, and what "good" it will bring. ~wink~

• Poser Ambassadors

There are a lot of forums that allow down voting, especially news forums. And if a post gets enough down votes it gets hidden from view and you have to click the post to read it. Even youtube did that - not sure if they still do. Sometimes voting on a post is enough for people to express their opinion and it avoids their desire to actually reply, which can lead to arguments.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

@AmbientShade Rather interesting point of view coming from someone who used to be a mod.

Yeah, key word being 'used to'. Never again.

• @shvrdavid I wasn't talking to or about you shvr, I was referring to the other admin's deleting of my very innocuous but sincerely meant comment about evaluating the downvoter's comment in light of a possible holiday trauma. S/he deleted my comment AND said it was in bad taste. Even if it WAS in bad taste, (which it wasn't), provided there was no personal attack or profanity, it was heavy handed tone policing to delete it. This goes outside the job you are there to do.
    I DO believe that YOU have the best interests of the COMMUNITY at heart, if not its indivual users. I haven't seen enough of the other admin's behaviour to have an opinion. This action doesn't inspire confidence but I'll put it down to him/her simply being overzealous.

As for the up/down voting thing, I appreciate your dilemma and whilst I am generally in favour of freedom of expression, as I have already said, I appreciate that it's a two-sided situation, and you do what you feel you want to for the overall good of the community. I kind of think that infantalising everybody creates infants who need safe spaces, but like I say, anarchy may destroy what is a valuable space for us all.

Seriously thou, we are not out to be the bad guys, but at the same time we do have a job to do.

And I don't WANT to be that guy that's always causing trouble or complaining, but nor will I be that guy that people just push around. I'm sure that you can empathise with that?

With that said, a very Happy New Year to you and everybody. Let's wipe the slate and move onto a creative and satisfying year ahead.

• My two coppers:

Post "ratings" in small to small"ish" forum communities is generally rife with issues and can cause more trouble than utility. (My experience, both as mod/admin and user, since the interwebz was invented... and before. ;) )

My personal recommendation on this topic in such communities is an "upvote only" sort of system or a "star ranking" sort of system or, preferably, none at all. This avoids the personal conflicts and consternation that can occur when there's some sort of ruckus or shenanigans going on...

• Happy New Year everybody!

• @eclark1849 not for another three hours, dude!

• Time travel.

• Happy New Year's, guys. (A few minutes left for me. ;) )

• I'm on the east coast of US, so we're six minutes in.

• @eclark1849 said in I've got the most dislikes in forum history...:

I'm on the east coast of US, so we're six minutes in.

3 diff darn clocks in front of me, all with different times... all supposedly "synched" to... something. :/ Oh well, everything considered, maybe it's best if I don't really know when it's coming. :)

Better go old-tech and turn on the T.V.!