Some uses of the new Color Blend mode

• The main use for Color blend mode is to color over a grayscale image ( I say "over" because the color layer has to be on top ) ... and it is a great and much requested feature.... but I find several other uses for it ... here are a couple that you may want to try...

1. Posterizing with the actual image colors : If , like me, you avoided using Posterization because it badly distorted the image colors ( true equally in both Photoshop and CSP) . Now if you put a copy of your original image on top in color blend mode then posterize the image below.... You get posterization without color distortion.

2. Create a copy of your image and set it to Color blend mode .... then immediately below the color layer insert a Contrast/Brightness correction layer. Slide the contrast and brightness massively in either direction ( usually opposite directions) for a range of strong effects. Again the color blend mode stops these extreme effects from corrupting the color space of the image... which makes the final effect much more usable. For an added range of effects you can set the blend mode of the Contrast correction layer to "Divide".

Anyone found interesting uses for the new blend modes ?

• I guess I'm missing something, what is Color Blend mode? I thought it was the options in the drop-down like "Pin Light, Color, Hard Mix, etc". I'm kind of interested in coloring over greyscale.

• You need to have the latest version of Clip Studio Paint installed (it is a free update if you have an existing license to CSP or Manga Studio 5)

Here the developers added various blend modes which are mostly present in Photoshop but was missing from CSP. Many users requested it for coloring over grayscale value illustrations.

• @treed Color blend mode is indeed a blend mode selected alongside Pin , Hard Mix etc. It was the blend mode that many people requested that was missing originally ...but in the latest version they have added it and many more. With it the color of the layers below ( if there is any) is disregarded and replaced with the color ( if there is any) in the Color Layer. At the same time the Darkness/lightness of the color layer is disregarded and replaced with the cumulative darkness/lightness of the layers below. So while it is usually used to apply solid color over a grayscale layer it still works if the color layer is a fully toned image or the lower layers are colored.

• @888toto I always thought of posterization as useless (for the most part. I like it for some of the Line and Tone actions). The way the colors over saturated and shifted was nothing short of ugly unless that's what you were going for. But this combination with the Color mode is pretty good. Some time ago I found a plugin floating around some forum somewhere that made an anime cutout coloring style from an image with gradients. It didn't work too well because the colors shifted a little (usually towards the ugly end) but this Color Mode/posterization combination does what that plugin should have done.

• Another one to note is Brightness blending mode. This is the same mode as Luminance blending mode in Photoshop. It can be used for a greyscale layer above a coloring layer ( with the Coloring being in Normal mode ) In theory this is the same as having a Color blend mode layer above a grayscale image....... but watch out.... In CSP you often use a white paper layer at the bottom ( and it stays at the bottom) . Commonly your grayscale layer may contain transparent and semi-transparent areas where white is delivered by the Paper layer. This will not work as a "Brightness grayscale layer. The grayscale layer must be completely opaque using white instead of transparency. So if you want to use Brightness over Normal color I suggest you create your grayscale layer by Layer> Create copy of displayed layer.... which will give you a version that does not rely on the paper white. With this then Brightness can give you the direct equivalent of using the Color blend mode technique.

• @888toto Or you could create a folder with a white color fill layer and your greyscale layer, set both layers to normal blending mode, but set the folder to brightness. I believe this is the same effect, but non destructively. (please correct me if I am wrong)

• @postma said in Some uses of the new Color Blend mode:

@888toto Or you could create a folder with a white color fill layer and your greyscale layer, set both layers to normal blending mode, but set the folder to brightness. I believe this is the same effect, but non destructively. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Yes, or you can just create a white fill layer between your gray layer and your color... set the fill layer to Brightness and se your gray to being pinned to the fill. Just don't expect Brightness over Color to work unless you are replacing transparency with white (by some method).

• The New DIVIDE blend mode : Some may recall that before Clip Studio/MS5 added the ability to convert an image to a line drawing , I published instructions on how to do it using a particular series of reverse gradients, glow dodge and blurs. Even today I find that gives better results than the line conversion that Clip studio eventually supplied ( in most cases). Now it gets simpler with DIVIDE mode to produce a range of line drawing effects from a Photo.

above your original Photo layer create a copy of that photo layer and set its blend mode to DIVIDE . The picture goes plain white. Now various forms of very small changes to these layers will cause faint line drawings to appear. Above the layers you add a BINERIZATION Correction layer set to somewhere around 230 to make it a black and white line drawing. Any one of the below or combinations of the below will give different types of line drawing....

1. small Gaussian blur to the Photo layer
    2. sharp Strong Filter applied to the DIVIDE layer
    3. Move the photo layer one , two , or three pixels in any direction
    4. put a tonal correction layer between the Photo and DIVIDE layer and make small subtle changes.
      To make line drawings that have different strengths ( line widths) in different areas of the picture you can do either..
    5. use a subtle blur brush on areas of the Photo layer ...or
    6. apply the mesh filter to the photo layer and make tiny shifts in different areas of the image.

Remember to fine tune the BINERIZATION layer at the end to get the optimum result. And note that all the techniques above ( except for number 5) can be recorded as an action.

Its worth trying.

• This post is deleted!

• Here's a trick I only noticed recently ( apologies to any who have already been doing this for ages ;-) ).. You CAN quickly scroll through the blending modes seeing instantly what each mode will do...... just hover your cursor on the blending mode box at the top of the layer panel and roll the wheel on your mouse.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.