Rigging problems

• Two really.
    1- Is there a way I can save whilst in the setup room and not have it go back to the pose room automatically? I keep saving half-way through rigging, and the model goes all weird and I have to start over.

2-Sometimes I'm editing a standard skeleton (the Andy P11 one for example) whilst using it on another model. I've been working on one part and I look over at another part and all the bones are in a weird place. For example, just now, I had been working on the right hand, and the left one, all the bones for each finger were stacked on top of one another, and some bones I added to act as hair had all rotated in one direction. This could have been something I did by accident at some other point. Can anyone help?

• Poser Ambassadors

@pip.jr said in Rigging problems:

Two really.
    1- Is there a way I can save whilst in the setup room and not have it go back to the pose room automatically? I keep saving half-way through rigging, and the model goes all weird and I have to start over.

Unfortunately no. It's best to do all your setup room work in one session in order to avoid problems.

2-Sometimes I'm editing a standard skeleton (the Andy P11 one for example) whilst using it on another model. I've been working on one part and I look over at another part and all the bones are in a weird place. For example, just now, I had been working on the right hand, and the left one, all the bones for each finger were stacked on top of one another, and some bones I added to act as hair had all rotated in one direction. This could have been something I did by accident at some other point. Can anyone help?

Assuming you are using Poser 11 you can go to the figure menu, under rig symmetry and choose left to right or right to left and this will mirror your joint zones from one side of the figure to the other side, provided you are using left and right naming conventions (rHand to lHand, etc). In previous versions of Poser it is just the symmetry function.

• Poser Ambassadors

As AmbientShade writes:

• Rigging a figure is done in a single session. Going back and forward between the setup room and the pose room during rigging is asking for trouble. Not only for the rig but also for the obj file.

• When you see "strange things happening" it is best to close Poser and start over on a day you can do the complete rigging in a single session.

• Also look at my Video4 in the Poser2Blender2Poser series on YouTube. After you are done with the rigging, and saved to library, always replace the Poser saved obj file with a properly grouped and welded obj file. => Because Poser cuts up the obj file into single and unwelded groups when it saves an obj file.

What you write in your first post happens when you go from Pose room to setup room to pose room to setup room and so on.
    => Always rig in a single session, and replace the obj file with a good one after you are done and saved to library.

Check Video 1 to 4 in my YouTube channel. (Poser2Blender2Poser)

All other "bone" work can be done with the Joint editor.
    Best regards, Tony