Masks revisited: Lips and eyeshadow ... How?

• Poser Ambassadors

The subtle soft edges blending to the base skin map from a transparency mapped "overlay" of lip or eyeshadow texture. Surely this can be refined. Ideas?

• As "true" layer options are, AFAIK, only available using the Superfly materials/renderer, there may be some edge-padding features available there to apply certain blending/fading effects to the inside/outside borders delineated by a mask. I wouldn't know, but that's where you would look for such operators. :) (I don't know Superfly material nodes very well. Firefly nodes can duplicate some "layer" effects using things like a Blend node and transparency mask options, but I think it's limited to using masks and blends to sort of "fake" a layer effect/utility.)

For use in Firefly, you'd likely first want to work directly with the transparency mask image, itself. Softer (Lighter) transparency edges there would result in more of the base image showing through. Most trans masks that people post seem to be very hard-edged for organic texture changes, anyway, in my opinion.

There are "node wizards" here who would eschew Photoshop or GIMP in favor of complex shader nodes that weigh eighty pounds, but yield awesome results a node-novice like me could never duplicate. Perhaps one will come to your rescue? :) If not, altering the mask image, itself, to allow for smoother blending with the base texture is what I would normally start with.

Which renderer engine are you intending to use? That will determine the substance of any material node-based solution.

• @Boni I made a lip mask a few months ago for someone, was it you? I'll see if I can find it and post it.

• @Boni I could not find that mask so I made a new one. I'm leaving it sharp so you can decide how soft the edge is. Take this into your image editor and run a blur filter on it in the amount you want the edges soft. You will probably want to make a duplicate of this and invert the colors so you will have two masks from one.
    0_1483774988302_V4 Lip Mask Sharp.jpg

• EZSkin3 does have a facility to make overlays of different shaders. You will need a mask of course.
    This works with both Firefly and Superfly

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship said in Masks revisited: Lips and eyeshadow ... How?:

This is a great mask ... and yes it was me ... my issue is with making a mask that has the soft edges to blend into the base face map. Ideally as with the masked clothing I was working on several months ago, I would like to have this as a "add-on" module that doesn't have to have the original texture plugged in at the get go, but can plug into a root node already set up with a .mt6 for a figure. that way all I have to do is switch out lip maps and the mask will blend them softly into the lip already there. soft edges is my primary concern here along with switching out lip map colors (or shaders). Now to extend this I would like to apply this theory and process to eye-shadow. This could be in a perfect Poser world be a compound node ready to go. Possible? If so How?

NOTE: I do have several lip masks (black with white lip area and white with black lip area with varying degrees of soft edges) It's HOW to set it up that I'm still confused with. AND obviously I need to look over the EZskin solution ... which seems to be a good direction to go in.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship by the way, I really appreciate that you made another mask for me ... I will probably use it to start over ... as I've smudged up my other ones trying to get the effect I was looking for. Thank you.

• Poser Ambassadors

@morkonan I am fairly proficient in PS and have done this there a lot. I just think that with the more compact nature of Superfly/Cycles, this can be done on the Poser level and the lip/shadow maps can be switched out easier with a mask set-up. Of course this would not be for character development since that would make vendor customized maps irrelevant ... this is just for me. And those who want to do this "trick" instead of depending on the vendor premade maps. Simplified, it's our node wizards I'm asking to help me through this. However I am "not getting" it from several other similar threads by other people as well as myself. Hopefully something will "click" this time.

• @Boni said in Masks revisited: Lips and eyeshadow ... How?:

@morkonan I am fairly proficient in PS and have done this there a lot. I just think that with the more compact nature of Superfly/Cycles, this can be done on the Poser level and the lip/shadow maps can be switched out easier with a mask set-up. Of course this would not be for character development since that would make vendor customized maps irrelevant ... this is just for me. And those who want to do this "trick" instead of depending on the vendor premade maps. Simplified, it's our node wizards I'm asking to help me through this. However I am "not getting" it from several other similar threads by other people as well as myself. Hopefully something will "click" this time.

Oh, I certainly agree with you! When I first read that Poser could now use layer effects and these layers would be properly displayed in the Preview window, I was ecstatic! Then, I realized it was all for Superfly and that Firefly did not have the capability to use true layer effects... I was very sad. :(

There is a thread(s) with some in-depth discussion of using layers for effects in Superfly around here, somewhere. It's pretty informative, too, with all sorts of "neat stuffs." But, I haven't really graduated to being familiar with Superfly, yet, so I'm pretty useless, there.

(PS - I suck at PS. I admit it, freely. I can beat on it hard enough to get what I want from it, but that's about it. :) )

• Poser Ambassadors

@morkonan I only advocate for these Poser features because I have taken the time to learn it, and love Superfly. SM's webinar on the physical surface root node will get you started with the least effort, especially if you match it with Snarlygribbly's EZskin3 for Superfly when dealing with skin and hair. The results IMHO, are worth it all.

• @morkonan You might take a look at my free shader if you haven't already got it yet. I have a nice P11 light bundle there too.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/86231/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Poser-11-Superfly-Uber-Shader-1

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship I was going to refer morkanon to your shaders as well, glad you came in and directed him there. @morkonan With these great add-ons ... you can do some great renders as you are learning the program. Superfly does things that Firefly has to "fake" to accomplish and it looks so much more natural.

• @ghostship said in Masks revisited: Lips and eyeshadow ... How?:

@morkonan You might take a look at my free shader if you haven't already got it yet. I have a nice P11 light bundle there too.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/86231/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Poser-11-Superfly-Uber-Shader-1

Thanks, I'll take a look at it! I confess, I don't do anything with Superfly except the occasional experimentation. I should probably work a bit more with it. Upgrading my main comp, soon, so that will certainly help with render times.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.