Fitting Room - Creating morphs within clothing?

• Is it possible to use the Fitting Room to create a morph in an existing piece of clothing/cr2?

Yes, it can create new clothing items, but can it create a morph within the existing conformed clothing item? For instance, if I have a custom morphed figure, like custom-morphed weird alien, and I want to easily get a morph into a piece of conforming clothing (So I can later extract that created morph, after I fine-tune it, and then create a redistributable injection from it) using the Fitting Room doesn't actually do very much for me.

Yes, I know, I can use the resulting object's geometry, but I'd rather the morph/channel already be created in the conformed cloth by the Fitting Room stage, if that's possible, so I can cut out a number of steps.

Note: Using the standard Create Morph'ish features appears to only create blank channels, as such options would if there were no deltas present/detected.

Or, is it simply not possible for the Fitting Room to create such a channel and transfer the morph info to a loaded cr2 in that way? If it is currently in this state, it might be nice for it to be able to create a morph within the conformed clothing as well as its other options.

• Poser Ambassadors

Have you tried the 'Copy morphs from' command in the figure menu? Select the clothing, then copy morphs from and select the morphs from the figure that you want transferred to the clothing - assuming you're using Poser 11 pro.

As for the fitting room, it might be possible to do if you uncheck the options for creating groups and then export the resulting mesh and re-import it onto the original clothing as a morph target. If you let the fitting room create groups then it will change the vert order and the resulting mesh will not be welded. Unchecking them should result in using the original groups and not break the mesh. Haven't tried doing this yet though, it's just a guess.

• @AmbientShade said in Fitting Room - Creating morphs within clothing?:

Have you tried the 'Copy morphs from' command in the figure menu? Select the clothing, then copy morphs from and select the morphs from the figure that you want transferred to the clothing - assuming you're using Poser 11 pro.

Yes, P11 Pro. I have experimented with the Copy Morphs feature, but it's a sort of approximation and doesn't do well with multiple morphs used to make a figure. I could try combining all morphs into one FBM to see if it does better, but I don't think it would be as accurate/desirable as what the Fitting Room, with some manual tweaks, can do. (It has no apparent adjustable parameters/samples.)

As for the fitting room, it might be possible to do if you uncheck the options for creating groups and then export the resulting mesh and re-import it onto the original clothing as a morph target. If you let the fitting room create groups then it will change the vert order and the resulting mesh will not be welded. Unchecking them should result in using the original groups and not break the mesh. Haven't tried doing this yet though, it's just a guess.

Yes, that's easily doable. But, I'm looking to cut out such "extra" steps and, instead, embed the morph within the existing clothing from within the Fitting Room, itself, instead of having to create a new object/cr2. (ie: Creating channels and all that, which is what might be what kept them from doing that with the Fitting Room.) The object displayed in the Fitting Room, once the process is complete, seems to be either only a "logical object" or geometry that is isolated, only existing in the Fitting Room module, until the command/choice is made to create the new object, which creates it in the general workspace of Poser.

It's something I can do manually, of course. It just seems like such a logical option to have included in the Fitting Room dialogue choices that I'm wondering why it's not there or why I can't figure it out if it actually is there, somewhere. :) I don't have to use the Fitting Room for this, but it would be nice to use to get a gross morph made that I could tweak, entirely from within Poser.

PS - Tks for the reply. Will muck around with the "Copy Morphs" and will resign myself to adding a couple of stages to the workflow, if necessary.

• Poser Ambassadors

I agree, that's how the fitting room should work, but currently it does not. There are no morph creation options to be found within it, other than transferring existing morphs (which does not actually work - I thought that was fixed in a recent SR, but nope. Just tested it and it's still broken so you still have to transfer via the copy morphs from feature in the figure menu).

I think the primary purpose of the fitting room was to convert clothing from one figure to another figure that may or may not have the same body part names, for personal use and not intended for redistribution. So if you want to fit V4 clothing to Roxie for your own renders then you're good to go, but for distributing custom morphs, etc., it doesn't produce viable end results. Part of that is because the fitting room breaks the mesh into body part groups just like Poser does when saving out a new figure or piece of clothing and you have to replace that geometry with a properly welded mesh.

It does have other perks however. It's good for quickly creating test clothing and corresponding cr2s, saving you the time of creating and naming groups. You just have to clean up the resulting clothing geometry afterwards and redirect the cr2 to the clean obj. but you can do that in the setup room too, so....

• @AmbientShade ... Part of that is because the fitting room breaks the mesh into body part groups just like Poser does when saving out a new figure or piece of clothing and you have to replace that geometry with a properly welded mesh.

Just a note: This isn't exactly true in terms of thinking that this method is "wrong." (At least, as I interpret your meaning/intent.) Poser's old method of splitting groups at their border verts works just fine for most purposes in Poser. The issue comes when attempting to morph a non-contiguous mesh in an external application. Of course, it's easier to do such a thing with a fully contiguous mesh where it should be contiguous across groups. But, that is also achievable by exporting the mesh with Poser, telling it to weld groups and unchecking all other features. Poser will not bork up the weld or the UVmap/mats. It also doesn't bork up the vertice order unmanageably. HOWEVER, many 3D applications will have issues with vertice order and often reorder verts upon export. (I know Blender has a "preserve vertice order" option, but I don't know how reliable it is.) But, all is not lost. Reapplying the UVmap/groups using UVMapper (.uvs file from original object) and then reordering the groups individually (a pain, but necessary, since groups must be reordered individually) using the fixhexmt.py script (can be executed within or outside Poser, can link it if you want it) is possible. This will yield MTs for individual groups which can be applied, individually, from within Poser and a FBM manually created.

There is also another process using a standalone javascript program that was developed for this exact purpose a number of years ago. (I have a copy of it on another computer. Originally done by Japanese fan, IIRC. It works very well to preserve vertice order, but requires a bit of initial setup for each object you wish to work with.) This will reduce the number of export steps and bypasses the need to manually transfer groups/uvs.

In short - As far as Poser is concerned, with the legacy group/unwelded/group-bone options, it's not doing anything "wrong." It just makes it troublesome for modelers to create morphs across groups. But, it's not terribly difficult to do so, just time-consuming. I'm not speaking to the issue with Poser locking down verts at the seams of split groups, which could be an issue in some specific cases when morphing or fine-tuning rig deformers.

Note: Poser doesn't like welding figures for export with tris and overlapping or intersecting geometry. In these case, a group-welded export can get borked up with certain verts getting welded. However, using the original object file and another program that can weld it reliably for the rest of the workflow is still possible.

It does have other perks however. It's good for quickly creating test clothing and corresponding cr2s, saving you the time of creating and naming groups. You just have to clean up the resulting clothing geometry afterwards and redirect the cr2 to the clean obj. but you can do that in the setup room too, so....

Basically, all I want to do with it is to create an initial fit morph so that I can then tweak it quickly while staying within Poser. IOW - Cutting out a tedious series of steps I'd normally use for custom-morphing conforming clothing/stuffs. (See bloviating section, above. :) ) If I can get a decent morph for simple clothing geometry from within Poser and can reliably do some fine-tuning using the Morph Tool, which I'm starting to fall in love with, then I can refrain from having to jump to external 3D apps for figures with just simple geometry that need a basic fit. I basically stick to M4/V4, but if I moved to another figure, I would certainly convert some items. Even then, I'd probably use external apps for that instead of "autogroup" within the Fit Room, which I don't really trust that much, yet... :)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.