Pixellated houndstooth, not circles in tone layers

• I see others' examples of tone layers here, and they look like the circle/moire pattern I'm used to seeing in print. Whenever I try to use this feature in Clip Studio Paint, though, all I get is a chunky 1-bit mess.

I've played with the settings in every conceivable way, but am obviously missing something. What might that be?

Here's what I get when I try to use a tone layer:
    0_1483920172857_Sketch.png

Thanks!

• If your resolution is too low, there won't be enough pixels to make the circle of the halftone dot. Pixels are square; if you have a half tone screen made up of just 9 pixels (for example) a 50% half tone dot will be made up of 4 pixels and it will be a square.

0_1483921791962_tone.jpg

Here are three canvases with different resolutions and the same 50% screen tone. One canvas is 600ppi, one is 300ppi, and one is 144ppi. You can probably guess which is which.

• @garlam Thanks for the tip! I regularly work at 350dpi, but I did find that cranking the "number of screen frequency" way down produces the result I wanted.

(Your mention of the low value "9" gave me the idea; I'd only been trying densities in the default ranges, like 40, 50, 60.)

Yay!

0_1483925365729_Sketch.png

• @hamishmacdonald said in Pixellated houndstooth, not circles in tone layers:

@garlam ...but I did find that cranking the "number of screen frequency" way down produces the result I wanted.

Right. The Number of Screen Frequency is an odd way of saying Lines Per Inch or LPI. Lowering the LPI, much like in print, will give you more pixels (or printer dots) to make the half tone dots (but the dots become large).

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.