How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.

• @eclark1849 Ooh that's a terrific piece of advice Earl. Thank you so much!

• Okay, so I've been a bit distracted for the last few days. My day job, mainly, and... well, not getting enough sleep to do it properly. Anyway, so now that I've determined that the cloth presets are not working properly in Poser 11, who do I report that problem to. PhilC and hope that he will rewrite the Python script to get it working again, or Smith Micro and hope that they will fix whatever broke the script in the first place?

I'm starting to feel another WISHLIST thread coming on for Poser 12. We need some improvements in the Cloth Room, and one of them would be a way to not only import cloth presets , but a way to save any custom presets you come up with in the Cloth room and to store them, preferably in the Cloth itself. As a Content Creator, if I go through all the trouble of finding the right and proper settings so that the cloth is acting exactly as I want it to, I should have someway to store that info and pass it on to the customer.

• Another tip for everyone. One I had suspected for a while, to be honest. When setting collision offset in the Cloth room, make sure to increase this value a bit more than what you actually want. Because Poser's calculations take a little time to actually do, the cloth object may already be past the offset point by the time it's finished. Increasing the offset distance that Poser needs to detect the cloth object may keep the cloth object from poking through.

• @eclark1849 When you say that they take a little time to do, do you mean in terms of tthe animation, or in real time? Are you suggesting that the sim actually drags a little behind the motiyn of the collision object? If so, this would surely have dire implications for fast or large moving objects. Is this a Poser 11 thing or all versions?

• @matb According to the manual, it refers to the animation. By the way, the manual also suggests increasing slightly the collision depth. to avoid "accidental collisions." But remember, we're talking about distances of .1 to 10 centimeters.

• @eclark1849
    It does set the distance at which a vertex is expected to be touching the collision surface of the figure, so where the collision mechanisms begin to kick in. In fact you make the simulation think the figure is larger. The clothing will eventually be at some distance from the figure skin.
    If your simulation involves vertices move at high speed towards the figure you may need higher settings than the default 1.0 but with the version we have now I have not had situations where I needed to do that. The default 1.0 is fine for outer clothing, say a coat under which one expect a shirt or sweater. For visibly 'close to the skin', say a T-shirt, I found value 0.2 a good starting point balancing between poke-thru of the final result and shirt floating in the air above the figure.
    Another solution can be to increase the number of steps per frame. Smaller time step gives less distace for the vertices to travel in a time step so less chance the vertex shoots through the skin.

• Poser Ambassadors

Splendid thread.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee Glad you like it. I get sidetracked from time to time so it may take longer to finish this than I first intended. My hard drive is littered with a minefield of unfinished projects, most of which just require UV mapping, texturing and packaging to be finished. Assuming I ever get around to it. Did I mention I get sidetracked from time to--- ooh, shiny.

• A couple of years back I came across a really simple way to create necklaces for the cloth room and I wrote it down here - http://www.sharecg.com/v/78380/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/DIY-Poser-Dynamic-Jewellery . Just started playing with the idea again today.
    0_1485872765334_ClothRoomNecklaces.jpg
    Currently trying to work out how to get dangly bits (pendants and such) to work, but they seem to end up sticking out at odd gravitationally unlikely angles.

• Poser Ambassadors

@3dcheapskate said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

A couple of years back I came across a really simple way to create necklaces for the cloth room and I wrote it down here - http://www.sharecg.com/v/78380/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/DIY-Poser-Dynamic-Jewellery . Just started playing with the idea again today.
    Currently trying to work out how to get dangly bits (pendants and such) to work, but they seem to end up sticking out at odd gravitationally unlikely angles.

That really looks wonderful!
    I think for pendants I personally would go with a separate prop, with a well chosen pivotpoint.

• @Biscuits said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

I think for pendants I personally would go with a separate prop, with a well chosen pivotpoint.

As Biscuits says, set the joint center to the point where the pendant attaches to the necklace. You can then simulate gravity easily by using 'Point At' directed towards a prop which is positioned at the centre of the Earth - or the most negative yTran you can be bothered to dial in.

• @3dcheapskate Just downloaded, and will have to give it a try. I would never have thought of doing jewelry dynamically.

• Somebody... somewhere... asked how to make clothes cling to the skin in Poser as if wet.. Honestly don't know yet. I know that 3DS max has a Cling setting (I'm told), but apparently Poser doesn't and I haven't found a way to simulate one yet. Still looking.

• Poser Ambassadors

There is an old trick for that.

Build your clothes 10% UNDERSIZE.

Then start a simm with your figure 15% UNDERSIZE.

Then run a Simm to "grow" the figure to its FULL size.

The figure will push the clothing outside to fit perfectly over the figure.

Long time ago, I had a tutorial on renderosity for that trick.
    I"ll have to take a look.

Then, add a slight grey map the area's you want "wet", and a noise to add spec.

• Poser Ambassadors

Found it : Written in december 2006. LOL.
    Dynamic clothing tutorial

This "push the clothing outwards" was pretty popular at the time to get "fitted" clothing.

Oh, boy, I see that "at the time" , I still used anim8or.... Well,, yeah, :-)
    Ha-ha-, that demo is more then 10 years old.... LOL.
    Hey??? AmbientShade is already in there too. .....

These days I would use a controlled fitting room session. There are a ton of tools in that room to "glue" clothing onto skin.

Or? Alter a dynamic cloth session, use the morph brush to "glue" the cloth back to the skin of the figure.

Always more then one way to skin a cat. LOL.
    Have a nice day. Tony

• Bits of your dynamic headwear seeming to stick to the original position of V4's head ?
    Check this thread at Renderosity "Odd Problem With Dynamic Headwear And V4 eyeBrow In Poser 8+". Not sure if a later version of Poser fixed it.
    The conclusion was that it seemed to be something to do with the invisible 'Eyebrow' body part and Poser 8+ doing something wrong, and there were several workarounds.

• Also check out aRtBee's Missing Manuals - the Cloth Room one's here [http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/book-poser/cloth-room/](link url)

• @3dcheapskate
    This manual by aRtBee is really worth-while.

As for the technical side of things:
    A publication that could well be the tutorial by P S Karthikeyan aRtBee refers to in the mean while is on line [in English]

Those interested in the state of the art may find lead on ResearchGate. This 2014 publication could be a starting point for the journey.
    The idea of mesh refinement of course is something kin to the subdivision we just see coming.
    But yes, I am dreaming. This thread is about the Poser Cloth room; appproach same since Poser 5, so based somewhere around the millennium.

• @F_Verbaas said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

@3dcheapskate
    This manual by aRtBee is really worth-while.

As for the technical side of things:
    A publication that could well be the tutorial by P S Karthikeyan aRtBee refers to in the mean while is on line [in English]

Those interested in the state of the art may find lead on ResearchGate. This 2014 publication could be a starting point for the journey.
    The idea of mesh refinement of course is something kin to the subdivision we just see coming.
    But yes, I am dreaming. This thread is about the Poser Cloth room; appproach same since Poser 5, so based somewhere around the millennium.

Hey, you want to start a thread to discuss how SM can improve Poser's Cloth Room I'm right there with you.