How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.

• Bits of your dynamic headwear seeming to stick to the original position of V4's head ?
    Check this thread at Renderosity "Odd Problem With Dynamic Headwear And V4 eyeBrow In Poser 8+". Not sure if a later version of Poser fixed it.
    The conclusion was that it seemed to be something to do with the invisible 'Eyebrow' body part and Poser 8+ doing something wrong, and there were several workarounds.

• Also check out aRtBee's Missing Manuals - the Cloth Room one's here [http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/book-poser/cloth-room/](link url)

• @3dcheapskate
    This manual by aRtBee is really worth-while.

As for the technical side of things:
    A publication that could well be the tutorial by P S Karthikeyan aRtBee refers to in the mean while is on line [in English]

Those interested in the state of the art may find lead on ResearchGate. This 2014 publication could be a starting point for the journey.
    The idea of mesh refinement of course is something kin to the subdivision we just see coming.
    But yes, I am dreaming. This thread is about the Poser Cloth room; appproach same since Poser 5, so based somewhere around the millennium.

• @F_Verbaas said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

@3dcheapskate
    This manual by aRtBee is really worth-while.

As for the technical side of things:
    A publication that could well be the tutorial by P S Karthikeyan aRtBee refers to in the mean while is on line [in English]

Those interested in the state of the art may find lead on ResearchGate. This 2014 publication could be a starting point for the journey.
    The idea of mesh refinement of course is something kin to the subdivision we just see coming.
    But yes, I am dreaming. This thread is about the Poser Cloth room; appproach same since Poser 5, so based somewhere around the millennium.

Hey, you want to start a thread to discuss how SM can improve Poser's Cloth Room I'm right there with you.

• A few tips, especially for beginners. Everyone wants to do a masterpiece and the more you practice, the sooner and faster you'll get there. But don't be in TOO big of a hurry.
    1.If you're just starting out in the Cloth room start with small poses, like sitting down, lying down or walking.
    2.Fit your clothes to the figure in the default or zero pose position. If nothing else, it's just easier.

• Weighing in late here :)

1 If you set up a prop for a simulation and then save the prop the settings are written into the prop file so you can ship preset settings including multiple dynamic groups (they even save the friction values correctly in P11)

2 There are some parameters the cloth sim can use that aren't exposed in the interface.
    ClothClothFore (0-1000) increasing this from the default of 10 to say 980 reduces cloth cloth poke through. This is also aided by the (I believe haven't got access to my script) UbendRate or what ever (I'll edit later) this sets a limit on the angle cloth can bend around the edge between 2 verts. These 2 params can only be set via python (If anyone is interested I can post the script)

3 You don't need to keep exporting an obj to set a partial sim. Say you want to pre darpe a wide circle skirt. It will probably be draped in 30 frames, but by the 30th the velocity of the hem will be high and probably force through other parts of the cloth. So I let it go to say frame 15, then Spawn a morph target, got to frame 1 and set the new morph to one and the last frame to zero then re-run the sim, this then effectively starts the sim with cloth, static in the position it was in at frame 15 ie without the accumulated velocity.

For tips:-

I always check all three collision types in the sim settings tab and quite often up the steps from the default of 2

A simulation can contain more than one dynamic object (I always create just one sim for both my constrained stockings.)

Whenever I pose, say v4 in frame 30, I run a script that copies the body / hip translations / rotations to frame 1 so that there is minimal movement.

If I want V4 sitting on a chair wearing a nice dress I set the pose in f30 run my script so her hip is at the height it will be when sitting in frame 1, then move the chair back and down (making sure it is keyframed at 30 so it returns to its posed position) then sim and the chair moves forward under the model, rather than having the model move to the chair, generating velocity and air resistance.

Amanda

• One more thing I learned today:
    When loading a prop from a .obj file with the intention of making it a dynamic clothing piece, be sure you check 'weld identical vertices'.
    I had the cloth room simulation 'stopping at frame 1' when simulating a garment, for no obvious reason.
    I then found there were some isolated vertices in the mesh, that lines up very closely with 'legal' vertices.
    When I re-inported the mesh with 'weld identical vertices' checked, the sim ran as it should.

• @F_Verbaas Yes, it's always a good idea to remove unwanted geometry before exporting your obj from your modelling software, a few times I've duplicated something and forgotten about it and it does screw up any sim. Whenever I get a failure, at least that early I always go and look at the obj in blender to remove dupes and check for non-manifold areas other than edges.

Amanda

• Poser Ambassadors

Non manifold edges I used many times without troubles with dynamics.

But it's always good to optimize the mesh.

• @Biscuits Yes, I wasn't saying that non-manifold would break the sim as doubles do, simply that it is a thing to look for, as are polys with more than 4 verts, again it doesn't seem to break a sim it is just nice to get everything in either quads or tris.

• This sort of stagnation of the sim happens to me sometimes, and this time it helped to import with welding vertices.

I had raised a support ticket on the issue. Closed this later wit h recommendation to let Poser itself do this sort of checks when making the copy for the simulation mesh.

And yes, will also raise a ticket with Marvelous Designer about providing meshes with free vertices.

• Well, Poser's cloth room works for me 0 of the time. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've followed some tutes on YT and I just get to frame 29 of any sim and the window blinks and the cloth ends up back in the starting position and the figure is posed the way it was supposed to be at frame 30.

• Poser Ambassadors

This post is deleted!

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

Well, Poser's cloth room works for me 0 of the time. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've followed some tutes on YT and I just get to frame 29 of any sim and the window blinks and the cloth ends up back in the starting position and the figure is posed the way it was supposed to be at frame 30.

You need to save first (have a scene with a filename) before you simulate. The sim creates simulation files with the scenes name (and if not saved, it does not have one).
    So save first, then run the sim.

• @wimvdb said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

Well, Poser's cloth room works for me 0 of the time. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've followed some tutes on YT and I just get to frame 29 of any sim and the window blinks and the cloth ends up back in the starting position and the figure is posed the way it was supposed to be at frame 30.

You need to save first (have a scene with a filename) before you simulate. The sim creates simulation files with the scenes name (and if not saved, it does not have one).

You can sim without saving, it just stores the .abc files in the poser temp folder along with the preferred scene

• @wimvdb said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

That did the trick. So strange.

• @ghostship said in How to make Poser's Cloth Room work for you every time.:

That did the trick. So strange.

A lot of functionality would be served well if Poser automatically saved the 'untitled' scene as a temporary file. For example autosave also works only if the scene has been saved with a name.

• I haven't been feeling well for the last three or four weeks lately, which is why you may have seen a couple of renders of James looking like he was dead. So anyway, I'm feeling better now and getting back to work on that Cloth Room tutorial.

• @eclark1849 Hope all is well with you!