Why do the developers sometimes ignore the users?

• Ok, I see I probably haven't phrased that well.
    I didn't mean to say that Poser's rigging tools are difficult, I said they were awkward. By that I mean impractical and time-consuming. For rigging there will never be a "do it all for you" solution, I think. But a lot of things could be more streamlined, for example not having to switch tools for reversing the effect but just holding down a modifier key, like in ZBrush. Or being able to temporarily hide parts of the geometry when you're working with a layered mesh without having to resort to tricks to do that. Or a feature for smoothing an entire selection of polys in one go, without having to go over everything with the smoothing brush. Or editing the dials for multiple body parts all in one go (have you ever needed to rename all the rotations and set limits for them on 30+ body parts?). And so on.

Poser's rigging tools are ok as long as you don't compare them to other software. And I have been told that my favourite software for rigging sucks when you compare it to Maya's rigging features (and I totally believe that).
    I can rig in Poser, I just don't enjoy the process. I prefer another software that allows me to get a better result more quickly, and if that software should see further improvements in some future version I'll be happy about it.

I don't think keeping things convoluted and impractical so we can be proud of having a specialized skill set is going to do the software a favor. That's one of the reasons why people who create content for a living are moving elsewhere.

But I don't want to argue. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and anyway, that decision isn't ours but the development team's. Besides, we're derailing the thread. ;)
    I just mentioned these feature requests as an example for things that are important to me and that haven't been addressed yet, although some of them have been sitting in Mantis for about a year now, some even longer.

• @esha The point is not to "argue" but to say that what is important to one person is not necessarily true for others.

Frankly, I don't find Poser's rigging tools convoluted, nor difficult to use. Is it difficult to learn? Yes, it is. But so is rigging in anything that isn't so automated as to lose any skill involved.

I hope to see this forum become more about sharing HOW to use Poser rigging tools than one complaining about Poser rigging tools.

• @esha

I just mentioned these feature requests as an example for things that are important to me and that haven't been addressed yet, although some of them have been sitting in Mantis for about a year now, some even longer.

Important to others too, not just you. There was no derailment on your part, you gave only what you were asked for.

(The library works really well for me, but I have no reasonable counter opinion for all the good people who would like it to work better for them).

• Obviously, both Glitterati and Esha are waaaay better riggers than I, so yeah, if you can get Poser to do it all for me, shoot for the moon, baby!:smiley:

• I think this thread answers the question perfectly. You were probably after one fix or change in particular. Some agreed, others felt something else should take priority. Then others had a different ideas or complaint again. So many different voices, so many different uses for Poser and so many different ways we use Poser. Smith Micro do what they can with what they have and hope to hit some kind of middle ground making as many of us as happy as they can. You're not being ignored, just one of many of us all hoping what we really want or need will be in the next Poser update.

• @Cobra said in Why do the developers sometimes ignore the users?:

I think this thread answers the question perfectly. You were probably after one fix or change in particular. Some agreed, others felt something else should take priority. Then others had a different ideas or complaint again.

Actually, no, I wasn't after anything in particular. I was just noting that the same requests for fixes, features and enhancements kept coming up year after year.

• @esha said in Why do the developers sometimes ignore the users?:

Without a proper reverse deformation feature it's not possible to create high-quality content

That's a good example of something that is very important, and also not easy to get right. Now that it is shipping in 11.0.4, does it address your needs?

• @Uli-Klumpp Uli I'm just wondering if there are any plans to implement instancing in Poser anytime soon? We are discussing trees over in one of the threads and my suggestion was that while it's worthwhile to make more realistic trees for Poser, you can't load that many without bogging down your computer.

• As someone that's getting into using Poser 11 for content creation purposes I found this thread.

HEY, SM... why not just allow for users to create a list, vote on the list (like top 10) and those will make it into the next update or version (if they are extreme add ons). Just makes sense to keep the users happy, they are your bread and butter at the end of the day.

PS. Like Poser 11 allot. Great release!