Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?

• @Miss-B
    I'll need his rigging for transfert. This is Poser... :rolling_eyes:

• I use large rigging with standard joint rotation orders. :laughing:

• @rg5a said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

This been said, saying the success of Daz's figures is due to marketing is counterproductive, for it leaves the illusion that if they repeat often enough that Pauline is better than Genesis, everyone will eventually come to believe it.

It's not just in the amount of marketing they do, it's in the quality in their advertised images that DAZ shows off that makes their products look so good. I've never used DAZ Studio, never bothered with V4 even though I have the free base, but I've got to admit that the quality of any official DAZ products promo images are leaps and bounds above any SM rendered promo shots I've seen. This doubles for marketplace images, I've probably passed on thousands of Poser products simply because the promo images are horrendous, but it's not at all like that at the DAZ marketplace. Everything there really looks well rendered and makes the products shine.

It seems like DAZ has some very stringent guidelines for promo images, SM/CP should really take that and put that towards future content in the Poser marketplace so people don't just pass on everything because a vendor doesn't know how to properly use lighting.

• shvrdavid, rg5a and johndoe641, thanks for your insights! I agree with your comments wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately for Poser and the Poser community, Smith Micro has never cared much about content (no matter what they claim). They don't develop much content in-house, so they don't see the need to implement better content creation tools. I don't think they have a team of several people who work exclusively on content creation, or a team of render artists for showing off their products. They still keep Contentparadise open, but they don't maintain it very well. When I uploaded my last product to CP (a while ago, I admit) there was no quality control whatsoever. What comes across to me as a user is "This is what we have. Make do with it." This is not very attractive to me as a customer.

I really think it's time that all these things are improved. I still have hopes.

• I'm definitely in the "just want to make pictures" band. I use Poser so I can take advantage to the artistic abilities of the many talented vendors to replace my own lack of the same.
    While the experience of shopping at the various brokerages can vary from brilliant (Hivewire) to aargh, how many times to have I have to click to tell this **** site I don't want to buy extended download service, I sure I don't have to name the site, it is all irrelevant if the content isn't being produced for me to buy.
    In the case of Pauline for example while there have been a reasonable number of character and texture sets, morphs etc. there has been very little in the way of clothing. Now some of you will say why not convert clothing. I don't want to spend my limited hobby time doing that, I rather buy products from vendors, who could produce original products.
    Vendors or course want to spend there time producing products that sell well, I fully understand this, but it has produced the cycle of all the content is produced for v4, therefore other figures don't get used, so anything made for them sells poorly.
    The last native figures that seem to have been supported by SM (or whoever owned Poser at that time) were the g2. If Paul and Pauline got the same level of support from SM could that be the way for them to become to go to Poser figures, and start drawing in other content creators?

• @j.naylor73

I have several freebies I have made for Pauline, but I am waiting on shrvdavid's re-rig to include before I release.

0_1462206846513_BlackWhite.jpg

0_1462206882086_PaulineSciFi2.jpg

• And then there's the matter of which rigging do you support? Pauline's original SM rig, or Shvrdavid's or Vilters' re-rig. One one of the several other's floating around out there?

• @eclark1849 said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

And then there's the matter of which rigging do you support? Pauline's original SM rig, or Shvrdavid's or Vilters' re-rig. One one of the several other's floating around out there?

I think it's pretty clear that few intend to support the original SM rigging. Besides, why not just support them all? The re-rigs are typically morphs and fairly easy to support.

I have no idea what shrvdavid will put out, but I plan to support all that I can.

I just have no intention of releasing anything with the current rigging because it's just too bad.

• @eclark1849 said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

And then there's the matter of which rigging do you support? Pauline's original SM rig, or Shvrdavid's or Vilters' re-rig. One one of the several other's floating around out there?

I kind of agree with eclark though. From the perspective of an end user that just wants to click and render, how am I supposed to know which version of Pauline is supported by your product? It's probably not an issue if your product supports all of them, but what if that does not happen? What if people keep making re-rigs of Pauline and we end up with 20 versions?

• @mr_phoenyxx So what if we DO end up with 20 versions? How is that different from the multitudes of Genesises offered by DAZ?

You supposedly need X version of V7 to use some characters and Y version to use others.

Not so sure I get your point?

• We may end up with 20 versions, that is one of the downfalls. The difference is which one people chose to support.

I did everything I could think of to make my version as user friendly as possible, and still be able to tie her into a knot without the joints blowing up.. I have also included more than a few morphs, so has Erogenesis and Vilters.

• @shvrdavid ....and 3Dream and Tempesta3D and Darkseal and SAV and Biscuits............

• I was referring to morphs that will be included in my re rig, not other ones.

• Poser Ambassadors

There are always more ways to skin a cat. :-)
    PoserPro end users have : "Copy Morphs from" and "Copy Joints from". Those handy tools can get you a long way.

Unfortunately number 1 ; Native Poser figures never see the support they deserve.
    Unfortunately number 2 : Sorry guys, too busy testing to build and release "whatever".
    There are some things in the pipeline, but really sorry. All my time goes in testing Poser right now.

• @shvrdavid I know. I was just saying there are already multiple "versions" of Pauline.

• @Glitterati3D said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@mr_phoenyxx So what if we DO end up with 20 versions? How is that different from the multitudes of Genesises offered by DAZ?

You supposedly need X version of V7 to use some characters and Y version to use others.

That is the first I've ever heard that? There is only one version of V7 is there not? Either way, Daz tends to make things very clear - this works with this and that only works with that. The Genesis line can get a little confusing with G1, G2, and G3, but I find they mostly make it pretty clear on their site.

But even if you find Genesis muddies the waters and makes it unclear, or that the various models based off of different generations of Geneis are confusing, that's still only a handful of variations. And those variations have pretty clear names - V7 is not Genesis is not Genesis 2 is not Michael 8 or whatever. All the different versions of Pauline are still Pauline. I guess we can call them SHVR Pauline or Vilters Pauline. But how do I know where to get one or the other? How do I know which store supports one or the other?

Which is somewhat another issue with Poser. With Genesis I know clearly on any store exactly which products are for Genesis 3 or another generation. With Poser stuff? Not so much.

Anyway, I'm talking about something that hasn't happened yet - tons of versions of Pauline. Really I was just pointing out that your solution is only reasonable in a small sample base. It would become unwieldy if there were lots of versions... but there aren't. :)

• @johndoe641 said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

It's not just in the amount of marketing they do, it's in the quality in their advertised images that DAZ shows off that makes their products look so good.

True, but they are very picky on quality overall too. Getting a product through quality control might take a month and several iterations... One of the reasons Daz products are "better" is that they don't accept substandard products.

Now it's true nobody was born a master, and newbie content creators need a shop which is more forgiving, lest they quit and never progress. But still, the Poser users do need products of this level of quality. There is no Stonemason in our Poser world... :-(

Why? What is it that Daz does right and other stores don't? I don't know. I only see the results. But a brokerage wanting to compete (not just tag along) might want to ponder this.

• I'm happy you're clear on all those G variations. They confuse the hell out of me. Then you need morphs for each different one. There are a dozen characters or more for each ... all seemingly with different hair, clothes, etc ... and skins. Can all the skins for V7 based G3 characters work on every other one? I have no idea.

@mr_phoenyxx said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@Glitterati3D said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@mr_phoenyxx So what if we DO end up with 20 versions? How is that different from the multitudes of Genesises offered by DAZ?

That is the first I've ever heard that? There is only one version of V7 is there not? Either way, Daz tends to make things very clear - this works with this and that only works with that. The Genesis line can get a little confusing with G1, G2, and G3, but I find they mostly make it pretty clear on their site.

But even if you find Genesis muddies the waters and makes it unclear, or that the various models based off of different generations of Geneis are confusing, that's still only a handful of variations. And those variations have pretty clear names - V7 is not Genesis is not Genesis 2 is not Michael 8 or whatever. All the different versions of Pauline are still Pauline. I guess we can call them SHVR Pauline or Vilters Pauline. But how do I know where to get one or the other? How do I know which store supports one or the other?

Which is somewhat another issue with Poser. With Genesis I know clearly on any store exactly which products are for Genesis 3 or another generation. With Poser stuff? Not so much.

Anyway, I'm talking about something that hasn't happened yet - tons of versions of Pauline. Really I was just pointing out that your solution is only reasonable in a small sample base. It would become unwieldy if there were lots of versions... but there aren't. :)

• @rg5a In case you didn't notice this is a POSER forum.

And, I beg to differ with you. Dreamland models are EVERY BIT as good as Stonemason models.

But, the bigger issue is this conversation belongs on the DAZ forums, not the POSER forum please.

• @mr_phoenyxx You probably need to look a bit closer at the Required Products area of DAZ character products. The first one I encountered on the store just now required Genesis 3 Male, Lee 7 AND Michael 7.

That's pretty standard at DAZ.