Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?

• For my own part, Traci, I don't do anything with Baby Luna, so no need to even own her. But, I did thank you for helping me with the weightmapping tutorial over at RDNA, and for helping me with learning how to rig shoes. I also do recognize that you're quite a remarkable content creator. So from me to you, Thank you for being so helpful.

• @eclark1849 You're welcome, Earl. You can't imagine how much that lifted my spirits today. (Well, maybe you can since you're done your own mountain of freebies!)

• @Glitterati3D said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@xen No, they are not updates, just MORE downloads. What would I like? Perhaps, if just ONE of those downloaders took the time to write a "thank you" email? Or, maybe, even better, while you're there downloading the freebies, lounge in the store for a minute and BUY something?

I've never had ONE sale on the site hosting those downloads. Not one.

Nor one thank you email.
    If I download a freebie I make sure the say thank you, my name is littered all over sharecg and if you look around rendo's free section, I've spammed "thank you for this!" on anything I've downloaded. I'm at the point where I feel like if people see me say that enough it wouldn't read as genuine.

• Poser Ambassadors

@xen said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

Don't be bitter. Be patient.

lol. Why don't bill collectors like hearing that?

• Poser Ambassadors

When you develop a reputation as a freebie provider, it can put a damper on your potential to sell things down the road. I've seen this happen a lot. Those top vendors out there don't have a very large freebie catalog, if any at all, while those with long freebie lists tend to complain about never making sales. Personally I think the huge catalog of freebies goes a long way in hurting sales for vendors across the board anyway, which is another reason why I don't make freebies, except for the occasional friend here and there that needs something simple done quickly.

• @AmbientShade There may be a simpler explanation. I started giving out freebies as I was learning to model. As a result, some of the models probably weren't that good. In fact, one of the reasons I took my freebies down from Rendo was partially for that very reason. The other part was that I was royally pissed off at Rendo at the time, and pretty much abandoned the place. Anyway, what i was going to say was that while some people might not mind using a not very good freebie, they're not inclined to spend money on what they probably perceive to be the same quality model for sale.

• @AmbientShade That's not something I had really considered before, but I think it is possible.

I don't maintain a huge catalog of free models, but we have a number of very visible ones - most significantly, our Chunk character - but that's because he is the base for Toon Santa, which is a commercial product. And most of our catalog are in buildings and vehicles. So there isn't a huge overlap between what we give away and what we sell (our total catalog is about 800 or so).

• Well, I do freebies to help product lines get off the ground (like Baby Luna). And, my freebies are not only tested privately by professional testers, they are also tested by the stores which host them.

I put as much skill into a freebie as I do a commercial product.

For example, I don't do commercial products for Baby Luna. Her Poser rigging needs some attention and until that is repaired, I won't ask a customer to PAY for what I consider an inferior product.

Everyone screams that a figure isn't viable without addon products. But, some of us can do addons and GIVE THEM AWAY and the users just take, take, take without ever giving back.

• @Glitterati3D

our society is pretty much like that.

It is not a good thing. Some manners need to be taught.

Well, I do freebies to help product lines get off the ground (like Baby Luna). And, my freebies are not only tested privately by professional testers, they are also tested by the stores which host them.

I put as much skill into a freebie as I do a commercial product.

For example, I don't do commercial products for Baby Luna. Her Poser rigging needs some attention and until that is repaired, I won't ask a customer to PAY for what I consider an inferior product.

Everyone screams that a figure isn't viable without addon products. But, some of us can do addons and GIVE THEM AWAY and the users just take, take, take without ever giving back.

I don't believe I've ever downloaded one of your freebies. But if I have, and I neglected to say thanks afterwards, then, Thank you for your freebies.

But I can't believe that anyone who has any interaction on the internet is at all surprised that people are selfish and take freebies without thanks.

@daveso is right: it's pretty much just how society is. It's how most of the world is. It's how humans are.

Let's face it... For a lot of people, the internet is just a giant Freebie Zone, full of hot and cold running Free Stuff (even if it's not actually free, like music and movies and software).

It would be nice if the entire Poser universe was truly a nice little community and governed itself respectfully and politely like a nice little community and everyone said please and thank you... some parts of it do... but "Poserdom" is much larger than the handful of people who regularly participate in forums like these.

I'm sorry you feel slighted by the selfish people out there. That does suck. I can't imagine putting out so many commercial quality products for free, and not even being recognized for it with even a single thank you. The fact that you give out freebies that are commercial quality says to me that you take pride in your work and would rather not give away something that you would consider less than your best. Fair enough. But it is unlikely you will ever get the recognition you want from the Faceless Internet Hordes, for the freebies you so generously make.

Anyway, I get your frustration.

• @James_in_3D I don't feel slighted. I feel abused. That's just the truth.

And, if anyone wants to know why vendors are leaving in droves, there it is.

There's a handful of people who give it their all to support this software, the industry and the figures. Eventually, they reach their limit and behave just like the customers - what's in it FOR ME?

When the answer is "nothing," they just move on to something else.

• Poser Ambassadors

Vendors are leaving for a number of reasons. I don't think the attitudes on the internet have a whole lot to do with it really, but it definitely doesn't help. The attitudes aren't really any different now than they were 10 years ago, but along with them there are now many more avenues for vendors to make money and be compensated higher for their efforts, than there were 10 years ago. Compensation is always the primary driving factor behind what any vendor does, in any market.

@James_in_3D I don't feel slighted. I feel abused. That's just the truth.

And, if anyone wants to know why vendors are leaving in droves, there it is.

There's a handful of people who give it their all to support this software, the industry and the figures. Eventually, they reach their limit and behave just like the customers - what's in it FOR ME?

When the answer is "nothing," they just move on to something else.

That's how business works, though. "What's in it for me?"

Businesses that don't ask that question and don't seek to get something tangible in return for their product aren't doing business...that's charity.

But customers will always ask that question, because it's what humans do. Especially if they have to pay for something. By "they" I mean "WE" because we're all someone's customer at some point, and I'm pretty sure most of us want value or performance in exchange for our hard earned cash.

Sell your freebies...er, so to speak. :) You work hard to make them, and you have the right value them accordingly. Perhaps you are not only putting yourself in a position where you're going to be taken advantage of by the selfish freebie seekers by giving so much away, but maybe you're also undervaluing your work!

• I bought my first Meshbox model recently, the Elf Inn, and just so you developers know, the free and paid stuff is much appreciated whether we ever get the opportunity to tell you personally. So anyhow, thank you. Poser wouldn't be much without content.

• @James_in_3D Like I said, my last ever freebie went into testing yesterday. So, whatever the reason, I'm done.

In fact, I have a sale starting at the end of the week and if m products do as badly as they have, I'm done with Poser.

• Poser Ambassadors

Maybe the figures you're selling content for just aren't that popular. That could definitely have an impact on sales, as well as what store you sell through. I don't know what name you sell under, or even what store. so I'm not familiar with your content. Also how much self promotion do you do on social media, etc? Relying on the store to do the promotion is never a good idea (not saying that's what you're doing but a lot of vendors don't promote their own content outside of the store and ignore social media, which is virtually suicide these days). Have you tried shifting to props and environments to see if you get better results? Could be an option.

• @AmbientShade Nah, I'm just done. Next week is my last shot.

Then, all the negative nellies can go on complaining about how no one supports Poser anymore. They'll have a new notch in their belt.

• Glitterati, where are your products sold?

• @eternityblue I'm sorry, but I don't think the policy on external links has been approved. Wouldn't want to break any rules.

• @Glitterati3D Ok. Well, I searched for your stuff on Google under Glitterati3D and I didn't find much.