Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?

• Poser Ambassadors

Maybe the figures you're selling content for just aren't that popular. That could definitely have an impact on sales, as well as what store you sell through. I don't know what name you sell under, or even what store. so I'm not familiar with your content. Also how much self promotion do you do on social media, etc? Relying on the store to do the promotion is never a good idea (not saying that's what you're doing but a lot of vendors don't promote their own content outside of the store and ignore social media, which is virtually suicide these days). Have you tried shifting to props and environments to see if you get better results? Could be an option.

• @AmbientShade Nah, I'm just done. Next week is my last shot.

Then, all the negative nellies can go on complaining about how no one supports Poser anymore. They'll have a new notch in their belt.

• Glitterati, where are your products sold?

• @eternityblue I'm sorry, but I don't think the policy on external links has been approved. Wouldn't want to break any rules.

• @Glitterati3D Ok. Well, I searched for your stuff on Google under Glitterati3D and I didn't find much.

• Glitterati3D has been making content for a long time now. I know that simply because I tested some of it.

Content for a lot of different figures as well.

She was also on more than a few teams of people that gave freely to the community as well.

• @shvrdavid Yeah, I wasn't doubting her credentials, just wondering about marketing. You can make a great car but if it isn't in showrooms you'll get few sales. Part of Poser's issue maybe is the scattered mess that is content distribution. I understand some of the the reasons for it, but probably more than anything the marketing of Poser stuff leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't know about Meshbox for example without having visited this thread and clicked meshbox's link in his sig. Sometimes we don't spend money because we don't know even where to shop.

• @eternityblue For you, perhaps, eternityblue. But, clearly, the downloaders of all those freebies had no trouble finding the store they were in.

After all, they HAD to go to the store, register and "purchase" the freebies..........

• @Glitterati3D said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

For example, I don't do commercial products for Baby Luna. Her Poser rigging needs some attention and until that is repaired, I won't ask a customer to PAY for what I consider an inferior product.

Perhaps you can email me with the areas that you feel are inferior with the rigging. I'd like to know. We've created a solid product with Baby Luna and the rigging by Paul and the maps by Virtual World are unsurpassed by any other baby in this market. I'd like to know if these short coming, then we can address them, so that others can share positively about this product, and you in turn can feel better about the many products you've created for her.

• @eternityblue I am glad you like it! Elven Village Inn of Elven Village Volume 1 has been a very popular one (8 models per volume, 3 volumes released) for us, and motivated us to introduce the other 'village' series.

• @eternityblue said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?: I wouldn't know about Meshbox for example without having visited this thread and clicked meshbox's link in his sig. Sometimes we don't spend money because we don't know even where to shop.

I am a 'she' but i am not the only one at Meshbox :-)

I think that is s legitimate concern. What I have noticed is that the downside to big brokerages is that they've eaten up everyone's attention and, slowly pinched off any support for independents - this results in the inability of the indies to grow much. That's not something I have seen with the Poser team so much because they have always been focused more on the software - whereas DAZ makes software which is the delivery system for content that they sell.

I promote my products on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, our own websites and through direct marketing. Also, I set up Content Creator's Guild a few years ago to act as a sort of indie place for vendors to promote, but very, very few bothered, and nobody helps out either. Instead, many rely solely on the marketing that big brokerages do (and for which they extract a significant percentage), and that only goes to serve the brokerage, and not the vendor. If you are indie, you have to do the work. If you are exclusive only, you are a supplier and give away such a large percentage to the brokerage that you can't grow up much larger than they allow you.

One venue I am exploring now also is OneRender. Right now, there isn't a third party content store, but the concept is interesting and useful, it produces nice output, and there's a possibility that it could be a third party platform, too.

• @meshbox said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@eternityblue I am glad you like it! Elven Village Inn of Elven Village Volume 1 has been a very popular one (8 models per volume, 3 volumes released) for us, and motivated us to introduce the other 'village' series.

Yeah, I would like to give you feedback, what I really like: that there is a continuity between all the different models in the series, I know where I'm getting my Hobbit stuff from definitely, and I really appreciate the interiors, lots of models are out there with exteriors but far fewer that give you a whole group of staging options. I really like that. If I could give what I don't like: some textures don't appear correctly in Preview renders, which I pretty much rely on. There is one at the base of one of the balconies that is just jacked, it looks fine in Firefly though. I just put greenery in front so it isn't a huge deal, and I'll work around anything more I find, but regarding marketing, I think you at meshbox do a good job, I'll be buying more models in the near future. I wish my budget was bigger so I could get sets at a time, alas I will be buying ala carte.

• @eternityblue said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@shvrdavid Yeah, I wasn't doubting her credentials, just wondering about marketing. You can make a great car but if it isn't in showrooms you'll get few sales. Part of Poser's issue maybe is the scattered mess that is content distribution. I understand some of the the reasons for it, but probably more than anything the marketing of Poser stuff leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't know about Meshbox for example without having visited this thread and clicked meshbox's link in his sig. Sometimes we don't spend money because we don't know even where to shop.

this is for sure. I have been using Poser since V1 ... I knew of a few places to buy and get free stuff.... but I also know there are a ton of other places I've never heard of and tons of vendors as well. Once RDNA folded, some of those came into light.

There still needs to be one huge clearinghouse sort of place that shows all things Poser. Even Smith Micro would be better off listing all of them. It is in SM and our best interest if they want to keep Poser going for much longer.

Somehow gather all the creators of POSER content together and get marketing their wares. Also without the fees and stuff that stop people from getting involved as far as marketing goes.

• @HiveWireChris said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@Glitterati3D said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

For example, I don't do commercial products for Baby Luna. Her Poser rigging needs some attention and until that is repaired, I won't ask a customer to PAY for what I consider an inferior product.

Perhaps you can email me with the areas that you feel are inferior with the rigging. I'd like to know. We've created a solid product with Baby Luna and the rigging by Paul and the maps by Virtual World are unsurpassed by any other baby in this market. I'd like to know if these short coming, then we can address them, so that others can share positively about this product, and you in turn can feel better about the many products you've created for her.

You know, Chris, if I hadn't already reported the issues I would take the time to write it all out AGAIN for you. But, I have and, now, I won't again. Besides, you'll just ignore it a second time.

• Poser Ambassadors

The problem is time and period.
    The LAST Poser figures worth the name "at the time" were Posette and Dork.
    At the time (Poser4) ! ! A TON of content was build until their limitations got the better of them.

That is the period that DAZ marketing machine got up to speed and started the "V" series.

Poser continued to improve as an app, but the figures got less and less attention.
    Unfortunately, for all of us : The figures are what it is all about.
    The DAZ marketing machine saw the gap and jumped into it.

Then to complicate things further, Poser never released an error- or bug free figure.
    All have serious to blocking issues, and none of them make you fall in love either.

So? Die hard Poser users are left with the last of the breed : The V4/M4 series of figures.

Money walks, and money talks.
    DAZ moved on improving the "V" series and left Poser compatibility completely.
    End users want to be productive, follow the trend, follow the "figures technology".
    They follow DAZ in MASS.

Until SM discovers that the future of Poser lays in the figures hands? We will be left with V4/M4.

• @vilters SM should simply STOP creating new figures. Instead, go back to their popular figures and FIX what is wrong with them (what users have been reporting for YEARS) incorporate new rigging methods and market the heck out of what they ALREADY have.

You know, like Blackhearted did with Alyson.

Make the existing figures viable!!!!!!!!!!

Where is it written that we have to re-invent the wheel with every new version?

@HiveWireChris said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

@Glitterati3D said in Why does nobody in Poserland want my money?:

You know, Chris, if I hadn't already reported the issues I would take the time to write it all out AGAIN for you. But, I have and, now, I won't again. Besides, you'll just ignore it a second time.

Ahh, come on Traci, give Chris another chance to engage. Frankly, I don't use Luna, myself, but I'd still like to know what your opinion of her is. And I wouldn't ask if i didn't respect your opinion.

• Poser Ambassadors

I absolutely agree Tracy.

And Poser has the tools to do it now.

Just yesterday, I was able to fix a figure that comes with an unwelded head.
    Normally, you can fix that in Blender, but you loose all morphs.
    Not so with Blender and Poser11Pro any more.

I also fixed the Alyson Lo Res that way. Her head is partially unwelded from the neck. => Fixed, and all morphs working.

Poser11Pro is a great software. But all included figures need repair jobs.

@vilters SM should simply STOP creating new figures. Instead, go back to their popular figures and FIX what is wrong with them (what users have been reporting for YEARS) incorporate new rigging methods and market the heck out of what they ALREADY have.

You know, like Blackhearted did with Alyson.

Make the existing figures viable!!!!!!!!!!

Where is it written that we have to re-invent the wheel with every new version?

Personally, I totally agree. I even said as much last time when we were talking about Teyon creating a new figure for Poser 11. I would have been happier if they had simply improved Roxie and fixed her problems. Instead they brought out Pauline. My best idea at this point is to go back to the beginning and engage a third party to create a new figure for Poser if you have to ship one with the new version. That's why I honestly hope that SM and Hivewire can get together again with Dawn 2.0. I'd rather SM and the Poser development team spend their time fixing the features they already have and implementing new ones than to waste time and effort on a figure that not that many people will even use.

• @eclark1849 Well, SM throws figures out there and just abandons them.

Why would vendors even consider working with a figure that will be abandoned by the creator? They won't.

If you want figure support, you have to support the figures first and then, the content creators who sign on.