A Cr2 by any other name

• ...should still render sweet.

I was looking for a Cr2. The Library search couldn't find it by the many terms I tried. I did remember roughly where I put the PZ3 that I used the item in. I found the PZ3. I found the Cr2.

The Scene called it PortableDataUnit. One word. It is listed as such on the Parameters of the Cr2.

This means the Cr2 is in my runtime. I have a large runtime. A very large runtime. Poser Pro 11 couldn't find anything by the name of Portable Data Unit. It can find items with the word Portable, Data or Unit but not PortableDataUnit. None of the items found by search were the Cr2 I was looking for.

I saved the Cr2 again. But I want to know how can the Cr2 and all of the geometries and textures not be found by Poser?

How can I find the original Cr2?

Here is the Cr2. It is rather old. It is rather dated. I think it's very cool.

0_1484171194836_Portable Data Unit.jpg

• The search function doesn't do deep file-content searches, it can only search for file names. Otherwise, it would have to actually open every CR2/File in order to discover the object/group name assigned to specific groups/bones. ie: Internal name/nma in the Object's Properties window.

The Preview Window relies on the "Name" of the object for organizing. For good reason, this can be different than the CR2 name and especially group/bone name. That is what you saw displayed. This name can be changed by the user, depending on preference, to help them organize their scene, give sensible names, etc, all without changing things in the CR2 that must be hardcoded.

There is, however, an "Information" bubble with every CR2/Prop/etc in the Library pane. It's the little sphere with the "i" on it. In your Search Options, you can choose to search for "Tags." I imagine that items that have a properly filled out information list (likely only newer items, since none of my really old items have data in theirs) can be searched by their Tag, as shown in the search options. However, I don't know if that searches just the "Tag" info or if it can be made to search the entire Info data set for all items. It'd be great if it could be customized to do the latter, since you could search by all sorts of nifty keywords.

IOW - The user-defined Name data appears to only be loaded when the file is loaded and it isn't accessible by the Search engine.

PS - By clicking on the CR2, you can add information in the Info data for that CR2. You could, for instance, add "PDA" in the "Tag" portion and then search for that term if you forget the actual CR2 name. (Nifty item/model, btw!)

• @morkonan Thank you for replying.

I think I will start adding tags to all of my items as they come into use. If you purchase content as I have, sometimes you store it away for another day or just use it and then store it later. Mine is the latter. I have used the item but still for the life of me can not figure out where it's located. I've done the resave but is there no where I can find the Cr2 name rather than the internal name which must be different.

Why would they make the names different? Can Poser handle spaces in it's internal naming? I always thought it could and has.

By the way, I clicked on the saved Cr2 and no where does it list a place for tags. Could you show me where I should look?

• Poser Ambassadors

If you have set file compression to ON in General preferences, you might want to search for a crz.

Pp2, cr2, hr2, obj and all can also be ppz, crz and hrz and obz => if file compression is ON in General Preferences.

• Poser Ambassadors

@maestro - the pz3 scene file is ASCII text; try opening it in a good editor like Notepad++ (Win) & searching for that name? Might give you a path to the geometry or texture files location.

• I'll give it a try. The actual scene was first on an old external drive where I kept my runtimes and scenes. It lost one file during a corruption event. A file called runtime. I was able to retrieve almost everything except for the PMD files. Unfortunately, the chk disk file decided it needed an owner and I can't take ownership of the file to retrieve the PMD.

Luckily that cool comsat PDA thing doesn't have a PMD. I'll put your suggestion to the test and see how the file looks with notepad ++. Why hasn't Microsoft improved to a better text editor? Anyway, the textures certainly work so I'm already ahead.

Thank you for help Vilters and Caisson.

Q

• Examining the PZ3 file, I found that the Portable Data Unit (PDU) was from a site called Props Club which unfortunately is no longer online. I also found the PDU on my D Drive of which I'm trying to take ownership of. Still it's strange the Cr2 is available now that I saved it to my figures runtime. Until I did the save, that Cr2 was no where to be found but was available on the PZ3 in which I found it.

I hope that makes sense.

• I am a developer. And my main tools are WinSCP and PSPad, which are free, portable Win applications.
    When I have to find something in one of Poser's numerous text files, I use PSPad's "search in files" function. Even if it doesn't use an index, I know that I can rely on it to find something, as Windows' search function doesn always find what I'm looking for.

• @maestro said in A Cr2 by any other name:

Examining the PZ3 file, I found that the Portable Data Unit (PDU) was from a site called Props Club which unfortunately is no longer online.

As long as you've found it, this little tidbit won't matter much, but the old Props Club goodies were from Traveler at RDNA. Don't know whether he's moved any of those oldies to his DAZ store.

• If you can open the pz3 and get the object to show in preview, Poser must be able to find the .obj and textures. Export as an .obj then bring it back in and save to library. That will save you having to 'unlock' a hard drive to move the data.
    If it's a character you'll need to export the components and regroup them when you import them. It's not hard, just tedious.
    After that the old data will not be needed.

• @piersfy I was able to save the Portable Data Unit (PDU) as a Cr2. While it seems more like a prop it does have the ability to roll the screen up and down. So I must and do have the OBJ and Textures in my runtime. The original is locked away on the aforementioned hard drive file which can't be opened even though I'm the owner of the file. The Cr2 works fine but I'd like to know how it works so well. I'm just fortunate that I was crazy enough about backups that I did backup PZ3 files when I have the space.

@Y-Phil I use Ultrasearch for most of my searching but I didn't have anything that actually looked inside files. Those are amazing finds!

@Miss-B I just checked Travelers site at DAZ. Some of the stuff I purchased was there. But NOT this PDU. I did find the readme which oddly (grrrr) contained NO file names but this little blurb. Let me know if any of the names sound familiar. I've searched the web and can't find them. Here is the blurb.

"By downloading this Zip File and using the files contained within, you have royalty free rights
    to all of the props in this Zip File, created by Eric VanDycke. You may use the files for any
    public, private, or commercial project. However the files may not be given away or distributed
    to others. .pp2 files can be distributed containing new morphs, etc. that you make, but do not
    distribute the .obj geometry , texture files, or .cr2 files contained in the Zip FIle. If you are
    unsure about reposting anything, please get in contact with me at: morphman@nycap.rr.com...."

@caisson Thanks for your opening the PZ3 with notepad ++ idea. While I can't get the original file at least I know where I got the file. I'm wondering if Eric is Traveler and if that is his email address. I know it's an older file, perhaps 10 years, and thus may get the dreaded "It's old. I don't support it anymore" answer I got from one Vendor when I had problems with an V4 product that they still sold at Rendo. I do feel if you sell it, you should support it but that's a separate issue. After all, this item is nowhere to be found on the Net. I did find Portable Data Unit when I googled it. It was the picture I put up on this thread.

That is scary.

@piersfy I was able to save the Portable Data Unit (PDU) as a Cr2. While it seems more like a prop it does have the ability to roll the screen up and down. So I must and do have the OBJ and Textures in my runtime. The original is locked away on the aforementioned hard drive file which can't be opened even though I'm the owner of the file.

My suggestion is that by exporting the .obj to another folder you regain access to the obj. You can even reconstruct the original file structure with geometry, prop/character files and a texture file. If you do this, you will no longer need access to the locked HDD.

Why would they make the names different? Can Poser handle spaces in it's internal naming? I always thought it could and has.

I don't know if the internal name can accept spaces, since all the ones I have seen eligible use hardspaces. The "name" field is user-selectable and doesn't care, since it isn't called by anything other than the preview/work-window. The internal name, however, must match exactly to whatever is calling for it, like a bone in a rig for Poser's default rigging.

By the way, I clicked on the saved Cr2 and no where does it list a place for tags. Could you show me where I should look?

In the Library pane, you'll see a list of figures/objects. For instance, in your Library Pane, open up the Figure library list. There, you'll see folders and Figures (CR2 files, generally rigged figures/objects). Navigate to one of those which is displayed by a thumbnail image. Click once on that image. If you have "Enable Extended Details" in your Options selection (click the three-dot thingie at the bottom of the UI area to get to the "Options" for displaying the pane) for the Library Pane display, you will see an Extended Details pane with things listed like not only the physical location of the file, but a bunch of entries for things like Tags, Format, Title, etc... To edit this to include something like a Tag you can search for, using Poser's internal search, click the smallish "Edit" button on that list.

PS - I had to hunt for it, since I didn't even notice the "Edit" button, to know how to do it. :) It's on page 188 of the Poser II manual. (Help->Poser Reference Manual (.pdf file will open)

I didn't figure out that you were still actively looking for the location of this object/file in your library structure. Sorry. So, here's how to do that:

With the Extended Details pane enabled in your Library Pane, you can find the physical location of the file for this item. It will be the first entry with a file-loc string. That will tell you where to look in your Poser Library for the file. ie: c:xxxxx/xxxxx/runtime/libraries/character/awesomestuffs/pda.cr2 would be telling you to look in your Figure Library pane under the directory of awesomestuffs for the pda.cr2 file to load.

This is for Poser 11, of course. I don't know if Poser 10 has the same sort of Extended Details display option. P2012 didn't, IIRC.

There is hope, however, if you don't have such a details pane. I use a very old, free, copy of P3DO Explorer to hunt for renegade files/materials/stuffs in a very easy/quick way so I know everything that a particular file will call/contain at a glance. It used to be a free download on Renderosity. I don't know if it still is or if the current, pay, version has bumped it off in favor of a freebie "limited use" version. Either way, if you can't easily find the item and do not wish to open the entire scene file, which may be very large, with a text editor, this is the way to go and I'm sure there's at least a free trial version of P3DO you can use for a bit to find what you need. Otherwise, open the scene file with a good, lightweight, text editor. I recommend Notepad++. Search for .cr2 and other Poser item filetypes as necessary.

• @ morkonan
    Thanks! I've had dealings with the creator of P3D0. I found him to be very helpful and understanding. I'm still not crazy about the Poser 11 search functions. Anything that helps me find content faster is helpful and needed until I finish my reorganization of this massive runtime. It's a shame when I have to open up Ultrasearch to find a texture on one of these Scene files. Then again, Ultrasearch doesn't use tags and I intend on tagging EVERYTHING as I use it.

I do have Poser 11. I understand why I missed what you meant. My default workspace is The Main Window, Library Pane and the Parameters Pane. That's it. I adjust lighting and anything else after I run a test render unless I'm doing Superfly Conversions. I never Enable Extended Details but I will now.

I think a plug for a plug-in that is only for Poser is allowed. Always beware when not on this forum is a fair warning, no?

http://www.senosoft.com/

@Miss-B I just checked Travelers site at DAZ. Some of the stuff I purchased was there. But NOT this PDU. I did find the readme which oddly (grrrr) contained NO file names but this little blurb. Let me know if any of the names sound familiar. I've searched the web and can't find them. Here is the blurb.

"By downloading this Zip File and using the files contained within, you have royalty free rights
    to all of the props in this Zip File, created by Eric VanDycke. You may use the files for any
    public, private, or commercial project. However the files may not be given away or distributed
    to others. .pp2 files can be distributed containing new morphs, etc. that you make, but do not
    distribute the .obj geometry , texture files, or .cr2 files contained in the Zip FIle. If you are
    unsure about reposting anything, please get in contact with me at: morphman@nycap.rr.com...."

Well, Traveler IS Eric VanDycke, and RDNA is/was physically located here in upstate New York, so that email address (from RoadRunner) is/was probably his. Whether it's still a viable email address, I couldn't even hazard a guess.

• Thanks Miss B. I know he went to DAZ but I think he also has some stuff over at Hivewire. I'll try sending him a PM and see if he is willing to redistribute the freebie. I'll also check over at ShareCG. You know Hornet3d over at the Hive as been wondering about alphabets and such. Maybe he could use the Alphabet on this one.

At the least I learned that Geometry files hold the key to certain morphs such as the ability to roll the screen up. I always thought that a geometry file was just another name for the OBJ and thus was a static model on it's own.

• @maestro He may very well have put some things up at ShareCG, so yes that might be a good place to check.

As far as his bringing any of his products to HiveWire, they're not in the store, unless they're in QAV being tested before they're put in the store. I don't see him as a member of the HiveWire forum either, but that may just be a matter of time, if he is planning to bring some of his products to HW3D.

A number of former RDNA vendors have come to HW, so I don't see any reason why Traveler wouldn't. Only time will tell for sure.