New update available :)
Looks to me like the new update now has displacement working with GPU!
@raven do I have to download the entire gig file or is there an updater?
@raven nevermond I found the update tab on the DLM
any documentation on what has been fixed?
any documentation on what has been fixed?
We really should have a Sticky at the top of the Forum with the details from the Changelog for any updates. Having to hunt for changelogs is tedious and a forum dedicated to the program should, at least, have a link to the applicable page of the update, if nothing else.
Just my two coppers. OTW to grab the update. I hope it doesn't eat all my content files due to compatibility issues... :) (I don't know if it will or not, since I haven't READ THE CHANGELOG YET! :) )
From the installer:
SR6 offers several enhancements and addresses known issues present in the following areas:
• General performance and stability updates and improvements
• Content Library improvements
• Material Room improvements
• Preview Rendering improvements
• Final Rendering improvements
• Figure Design improvements
• Animation improvements
• Import/Export improvements
• Installation Improvements
• PoserPython Improvements
• Queue Manager improvements (Pro Only)
• PoserFusion improvements (Pro Only)
With your registered Poser 11 serial number, you can access and download updates via Download Manager (available at http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserupdates.html).
SR6 Enhancements and Fixes, by Category
• Object > Create Text Prop now allows user selection of Font.
• Improved GUI for high resolution displays.
• Fix for fatal error on launch in certain cases (e.g. Restore from Time Machine).
• Weblinks have been revised and reorganized.
• Improved suggested UI scale for high DPI monitors on Windows.
• Fixed various Material palette scrolling issues.
• Fixed text display on some dialog/palette text buttons with large text sizes on Windows.
• Fixed drawing of y-axis labels on Graph palettes in high DPI/UI Scale situations.
• Improved support for alternative keyboard layouts.
• Fixed font scale for Material Room dial popup text fields for system settings with large text sizes.
• SreeD document preview: Improved actor and figure circle picking (macOS High Resolution only).
• Removed view source option from log window.
• Improved control/font size for popup text fields when running on Windows with large display scale settings.
• Fixed hierarchy widget drawing issues at high system scale.
• Fixed Animation Palette frame number font size for high system scale on Windows.
• Fixed incorrect initial size for Sketch Designer on high DPI Windows.
• Improved behavior of group tool marquee/draw selection on Mac Retina displays.
• Missing group tool cursors have been restored.
• Fixed display of value ops and driven parameters in Dependency Editor.
• Fixed some layout problems with Split Morph dialog at high DPI.
• Content Library: Fixed some minor GUI issues when setting an item as Favorite.
• Content Library: Improved stability with drag and drop from library.
• Content Library: Now filtering out file names like '._abc.ppz'. These dot/underscore files are typically hidden on Mac and are not meant to be viewed.
• Search: Improved reliability of ‘Locate’ from search results.
• Material names now display the full width of the palette.
• Improved implementation of ScatterVolume in SuperFly and clarified its behavior in documentation.
• Improved scrolling behavior in material room.
• Fixed a problem with rectangle drag-selection of material nodes on Mac Retina displays.
• Improved stability with Material Room Compound nodes when connecting inputs.
• Improved drawing of Compound shader nodes: 1) problems with preview not updating when changing input values, 2) Incorrect expanding of compounds.
• Fixed rollover help for Render Settings > Preview > Antialias Samples.
• SuperFly: Stability improvements.
• SuperFly: Cameras parented to Figures now render correctly in SuperFly/Queue renders (Poser Pro only).
• SuperFly: Improved Cycles > Vector > Mapping node accuracy when rendering in queue, background or separate process.
• SuperFly: Allowing simultaneous use of bump and normal mapping in SuperFly.
• SuperFly: Strand based hair now has proper UV coordinates, allowing it to be textured by the surface underneath.
• SuperFly: Improved SuperFly glossy shading at very low roughness.
• SuperFly: Improved implementation of ScatterVolume node . Behavior of node clarified in documentation.
• SuperFly: Fixed an issue where SuperFly renders on Windows could get stuck.
• SuperFly: fractal_sum node in SuperFly now matches FireFly more closely.
• SuperFly: SuperFly's interpretation of visibility flags now matches FireFly more closely.
• Optimized and improved render performance.
• Addressed stability issues associated with rendering in background or separate process.
• Improved stability when rendering hair props.
• FireFly: Enabled toon outlines (Standard version only).
• Fixed case where only a portion of the first render would display.
• Make Movie: Improved Sketch rendering stability at reduced resolution scale
• Fixed a precision problem that caused shifting of geometry at extremities.
• Parameter/Properties palette now exposes 'Master Sync enabled', which allows for a global override of parameter Master Sync behavior.
• Create Figure: No longer incorrectly creating control props on body parts that were specified not to be included in the rig.
• Fixed picking logic that caused jumpy painting behavior for morphs/weights when model had lots of polys facing perpendicular to camera vector.
• Improved weight painting with many overlapping objects. May also have affected morph painting and other picking-related tasks.
• Improved display when painting morphs on subdivided meshes.
• Improve behavior of Morph Creation when 'Work with Current Morphs' was unchecked.
• Hidden parameters are no longer omitted in Figure > Copy Morphs From...
• Added option to turn off Master Sync.
• Deformer properties: Exposed magnet attribute to make it easier to create magnets that have a better effect on figures.
• Fixed instability with Morph Brush (and Weight Painting) in certain situations with Subd >/= 2.
• RestrictTo is now obeyed for single vert brush in Morph/Weight painting.
• Fixed instability when editing no-geometry bones.
• Fixed instability when performing Create Figure from fitting room in certain situations.
• Improved morph target handling when moving files between Poser and ZBrush. (Poser Pro only).
• Improved stability when saving a scene with a graph palette after having deleted a figure/object whose parameter was the shown in the graph.
• Bullet Physics: Now posting log message when mesh is considered poor for simulation.
• Fixed an intermittent failure to load textures on subdivided props upon load.
• Windows installer will default to previous install location.
• Windows updater and full installer behavior improved when installing both 64 and 32 bit versions.
• Installer behavior improved when installing Queue Manager only via Poser installer. (Poser Pro only).
• Mac installer now properly corrects bad permissions for Application Support files directory.
• Included 3rd party Python scripts updated.
• Old version of light manager removed from installer.
Queue Manager (Poser Pro Only)
• Increased master queue stability when remote nodes return invalid frames.
• Now properly recognizing failed render transfers from remote nodes.
• Improved reliability of sending jobs to remote nodes.
• SuperFly Queue renders on remote machines now respect images in background shaders.
PoserFusion (Poser Pro Only)
• PoserFusion for LightWave: Experimental support for Lightwave 2016 Beta added.
• PoserFusion for Lightwave: Documentation updated to reflect current version.
• PoserFusion for Cinema 4D: Plugin now sends only error messages to C4D console.
On the iMac Retina 5K PoserPro 11 was not working properly when opened in full resolution - tools could not be selected.
I have just downloaded and tested this latest build and the proble has been solved; Poser Pro11 can be opened in full resolution and all tools can be selected.
As ambassadors do we download the beta version?
You always could use displacement in Superfly, and I see no mention that this has been enhanced, although It would be nice if you can do so with having to ramp up the subdivision.
I'm extremely pleased to see that SM is continuing to invest time and money resolving issues and enhancing this version. This is the most patched version in my memory, and it shows a reassuring commitment to quality and customer service that they are doing so. I don't say this often, but a massive well done to Smith Micro on this one.
Thanks for the heads-up. I just read something at Renderosity about this. I wish SM would send out an email when there's an update available, as I don't, as a general rule, check the D/L Manager regularly.
I have installed the new Service Release and so far things are looking pretty good!
my library menu still jumps around when two or more things are open and I click on a new folder.
FireFly is still partly broken :(
This is now the 2nd SR since i reported the issue together with a test scene to reproduce it, what a waste of time… seems to me that FireFly is not supported anymore. Very disappointing!
What is the new "Notifications" thing?
@nagra_00_ How is it broken? Are you on Windows or a Mac?
I'm on Mac (OS Sierra) and Firefly is working fine.
A few things:
- Set the "Shadow Minimum Bias" on all lights that cast shadows at .60 or lower. You shouldn't have to go under .40.
- If you're using Indirect Lighting, you don't have to use AO. (IIRC) Further, depending upon the construction of the objects and their materials, AO can get wonky and often needs fine-tuning, since it's basically an "artificial" ambient occlusion, anyway. I don't use artificial AO any longer, but IIRC, your AO settings are very high. Others may have better input, there.
- You likely don't need SSS in "distant" renders, as the effects won't really be picked up for skin. (Unless you're using SSS for an effect on something else.)
- Increase Pixel Samples to 5. You prob don't need more than that, but I've found issues with samples less than that. Your mileage may vary.
- For myself, I always check hard-surface, inorganic, objects for their suitability for rendering with Smooth Shading on. Not all objects are constructed to be suitable for this and even artists with very good skills and reputations can miss topology mistakes and set their objects up to be rendered with Smooth Shading when they have portions unsuitable for that.
I know Firefly has had some changes and, in my experience, they're for the better. I don't use a Mac, so I can't speak to that. The above are just general suggestions that may help with your rendering artifacts. BUT, if it truly is a Mac problem, obviously they won't. :) There could be other issues, as well, such as how the figure is rendered and its Skinning settings or Materials.
What is the new "Notifications" thing?
It's for Notifications! It will notify you when there is a notification to notify you what the Notification Window is supposed to notify you about.
@morkonan from the "Department of Notifications."