Which Poser to buy - Poser 11 Pro - Poser Pro 2014?

• Dear forum readers and users,

I want to do a project with some parameters in mind, which I will describe below, with some Ad-Ons / Plug-Ins (what I can understand you have to have a Pro version to use Ad-Ons like Michael 4 Skeleton http://www.daz3d.com/m4-skeleton) for one of this softwares - Pro 11 or Poser Pro 2014? I have a smal budget so I am thinking of Poser Pro 2014, but I do not know if that is enough to manage the project task?

The conditions are this:
    My contract maker want me to make something like this https://www.getback2life.com/how-it-works (see the video presentation (full length and go forward to 10:40 and you see there a skeleton view and how it moves in the body and in 10:54 it changes to purple color) with the amimated skeleton. We are going to film a person doing some good and bad moves and show the compression in the skeleton with red areas. In 13:04 there is something more to show. In 13:42 again some Poser Magic. You get the picture. ;-) - We are going to do other moves with other machines.

Which software do you recommend me to buy, Poser Pro 11 or can Poser Por 2014 be enough for this project?
    I use Mac Mini Late 2012, Quad Core, i7, 256 SSD, 16GB, HD Graphics 4000, Yosemite OSX. I guess http://www.daz3d.com/m4-skeleton is the best Ad-On to this project. Right?

Do I have the right computer to do this?

Sincerely,
    Idiodos

• I've used a Mac Mini 2007 almost exclusively for all my Poser stuff and it was most certainly up to the task with Poser Pro 2014. Sadly, I don't have Poser Pro 11 yet so I can't advise you there, but your Mac should be able to handle it if you do go with PP 11.

• Poser Pro 2014 should be perfect for this.
    You don't need anything special to use the M4 skeleton, it's just another figure.

Besides, Poser already comes with some content, among which a set of skeletons (male and female). I can't judge their realism (I don't frequent naked skeletons too much), but they might be enough for what you need.
    I'd suggest you wait till you had a look at them before buying the M4 skeleton. The main advantage of the M4 skeleton is that it fits inside the M4 human figure (sold at Daz3D too) and can move with it. I don't remember if the Poser skeletons are supposed to fit in a given figure, but it's quite possible, and in this case the figure will be one which is already supplied with Poser - more savings.

• @eclark1849

Thank You very much for your answer and advice. I will go for Poser Por 2014. Wonderful to know that my Mac is sufficient for this task.

Have a good evening,

Sincerely,
    Idiodos

• @rg5a

Good evening,

I am very happy to have your answers and advices in mind. I will go for it. Poser Pro 2014 it will be. :-)

I buy the software and if the skeleton with body shape is not enough (maybe it has only the skeleton view) I will also buy M4 skeleton as Plug-In.

Good to know that my Graphic Cards is enough for this task for making a smal video with moves.

LAST QUESTION:

A double check for avoiding misunderstandings: So I do not need nothing of this as below?

Pro only:

CUDA enabled device required for hardware accelerated final rendering

Hosting plugins require a valid English language installation of their respective host application:

Maxon CINEMA 4D R15-17

Autodesk Maya 2014-2016

NewTek LightWave 9-2015

ZBrush 4 or later required for GoZ interoperability

Thank You for Your time and willing to help me guide though this questions before purchase.

Have a Nive Evening.

Sincerely,
    Idiodos

• @rg5a

Hi again,

I am pretty new to this. ;-)

MORE QUESTIONS:

When eventually buying M4 Skeleton I need to also buy M4 human, right?
    Is it enough to then buy something from here http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=m4+michael

Like http://www.daz3d.com/jericho-m4 is enough with http://www.daz3d.com/m4-skeleton and of course Poser Pro 2014 and download http://my.smithmicro.com/poserfusion-plugins.html so the M4 Skeleton and M4 Human like Jericho will work with Poser Por 2014. Is this correct?

Sincerely,
    Idiodos

• @idiodos said in Which Poser to buy - Poser 11 Pro - Poser Pro 2014?:

@rg5a

Good evening,

I am very happy to have your answers and advices in mind. I will go for it. Poser Pro 2014 it will be. :-)

I buy the software and if the skeleton with body shape is not enough (maybe it has only the skeleton view) I will also buy M4 skeleton as Plug-In.

Good to know that my Graphic Cards is enough for this task for making a smal video with moves.

LAST QUESTION:

A double check for avoiding misunderstandings: So I do not need nothing of this as below?

Pro only:

CUDA enabled device required for hardware accelerated final rendering

Hosting plugins require a valid English language installation of their respective host application:

Maxon CINEMA 4D R15-17

Autodesk Maya 2014-2016

NewTek LightWave 9-2015

ZBrush 4 or later required for GoZ interoperability

Sincerely,
    Idiodos

I'll keep this simple for you, no you don't NEED them, but they're nice to have. Although to be honest, since the user is the one who has to shell out the bucks if they want the CUDA, WHY that was left out of P11 is a mystery to me.

No, you actually need none of those, but get the Pro version nevertheless, it's more capable, if only because of the 64 bit rendering. Having this you know you have a tool which won't let you down.

Thank You for Your time and willing to help me guide though this questions before purchase.

You're welcome. Somebody helped me too when I was starting... ;-)

When eventually buying M4 Skeleton I need to also buy M4 human, right?

The general idea is that there is a human figure (in this case M4, but there are others). Each human figure has add-on content (morphs, which change shape, textures which change color, clothing and hair) you can buy to make specific characters.
    To take the Jericho character as an example, if you want to use "Jericho", you'll need
    a) M4 (of course)
    b) The M4 Morphs++ package (see "Required products" on the Jericho page)
    c) obviously the "Jericho" character product, which contains the textures and morph settings.

This will give you the character as you see him, but naked and bald... If you want to recreate the exact same picture you see in the product page, you'll also need to buy the clothes he's wearing, the hair, potentially the bike. All those are Daz products you can buy.

The basic work flow is, start Poser, load a figure (M4 or any other), load morphs, textures, clothes and hair, pose the figure, add scenery around, tweak the lights to get the lighting you want, and hit "render".

As about the M4 skeleton, it's a figure on itself, based on M4. Meaning it can use everything made for M4 (you can dress it in M4's clothes...). If for your job you only need a skeleton, you don't need to buy M4; Now if you want to make other pictures, the sky (or rather your wallet!) is the limit.
    Note Daz3D has frequently big sales (up to 50%!), so if you're not in a hurry you might want to wait till the items you want/need are on sale.
    One thing to keep an eye out for is that there are two programs using that stuff: Poser, and Daz Studio. Initially compatible, Daz Studio (often just called "Studio") is now totally incompatible with Poser. You need to check the products you want are Poser compatible.
    Also, there are a couple of other content stores around: Renderosity, Content Paradise, Hivewire3D, and several others.

• @rg5a

Thanks all of you for all your time and effort to be so kind and generous with all answers I get. THANK YOU ALL! :)

Now I understand completely.

I will try to buy Poser Pro 2014, English version, from German site. I can not buy from Amazon cause they won't send it to Gothenburg in Sweden that product (otherwise I do not have no problems to buy from them, but in this special case the will not do so).

Then I buy, after first testing how good the Posers Skeleton is, also Michael 4 and I have found the base of him http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-base-male-3d-model and it works for Poser I could read on their page. ;-)

Finally I buy the http://www.daz3d.com/m4-skeleton for both the Skeleton and the Silhouette of a body. Just a skeleton is not enough for this project (see the links I posted before how it should look like the final results).

I am comfort with your answers and I am now sure what to buy.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    Iodides from Sweden

• Glad to have been of help.

All Daz "Generation 4" products (Michael 4, Victoria 4, and their spin-offs like Aiko 4, Freak 4 and so on) are 100% compatible with Poser; The Poser-Studio schism happened after those. All figure products based on some version of "Genesis" and/or with a number greater than 4 don't work in Poser natively. Unfortunately, as the programs drift more and more apart, now even figure-neutral things like sceneries tend to become incompatible. Always check the "Compatible Software" part or the product description.
    You might be well advised to buy the Gen4 figures (Mike and Vicky 4) with their "Morphs ++" packages, since most existing characters you'll find on stores (like that "Jericho" product you mentioned) are based on them. They are a sure investment. Do wait for some sale though, you'll soon notice this is an expensive hobby... :grinning:

Also, check the other stores. Each store has content which you won't find elsewhere, so it pays to keep an eye on all of them (there are less than half a dozen, so it's not difficult).

Happy posering! ;)

• @rg5a

GREAT!

One more question which I never got an answer.
    Can I make a shorter animation with moves in Poser Pro 2014 with this And-Ons? This is the whole idea.

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

Can I make a shorter animation with moves in Poser Pro 2014 with this And-Ons? This is the whole idea.

Not sure what you mean.
    Shorter than what?
    And those are not "add-ons", they are "content". Think of them as pizzas, for which Poser is the oven: You bake your pizza in the oven to use (eat) it; Without pizza the oven is pointless, without an oven the pizza is inedible...

• Poser Ambassadors

Pro also adds Queue Manager, which enables you to spread the rendering work of an animation over multiple computers.

• @seachnasaigh

Good morning Everybody,

Short night of sleep. So many questions and thoughts. ;-)

I want to make some moves (I did not mentioned how long the presentation will be, but here it comes - in 15 s, 30 s, 45 s, 60 s or longer), as I from the beginning asked and if you look at the movie link I presented, to show with some machines in action with both good and bad moves (compression zones in kind of "read-alert-warnings").

Is it possible to make some kind of record and pause with a button when posing the model in Poser in different situations with just the hardware I have (Mac Mini late 2012 and so on with Yosemite OS X ) in a pretty good quality?

For Poser Pro users Quenue Manager is some kind of Game Developer Ad-On or complementary base as the described example of the Pizza with different tastes of cheese, tomatoes an so on. Like the example explained by rg5a. ;-)

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• @rg5a

Hi again.

It seems that new questions arises so I hope you have patience to answer to this also. Sorry for being "a pain in the as". ;-)

1. I need to know if it is possible to make animations in Poser with Queue Manager and can I do it with my Mac Mini, see details about Mac in this tread. Some record button or what? I do NOT need to know every step right now and here (because I have to by myself learn the software by trial and eror the steps so far I can do it for myself), but just the answer that it can be done with Poser and Queue Manager with my Mac Mini?

2. I have mentioned that I need to make the video watcher, customer, aware of some moves with some machines that will cause compression in the skeleton and to visualize this I have to zoom in with Red-Zone-Effect on the skeleton where exactly the compression arises when doing this wrong moves. Is there a way to make this in Poser or do I need some other software and even a better computer for this task? See the full movie presentation here https://www.getback2life.com/how-it-works and go forward to this point to get the picture. 10.40, 10.54, 13.04 and 13.42. If you do not look at the movie you will not understand my question to 100%.

Please answer to above questions so I can go forward with this project ASAP, if it is even possible to do with Poser and do I really need Queue Manager - now when you have got the whole picture what I want to do?

P.S. Just answer to my questions if possible. MAYBE I DO ASK THE WRONG QUESTIONS HERE IN THIS FORUM OR I DO JUST ASK IN A WAY WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? Remember that I am a total beginner with none experience in 3D software.

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• I can't answer all of your questions directly, but I've run Poser on my mac ever since version 2. Pretty much anything it feature it has will also run on my Mac. My current Mac is slowing down now, so I've moved (temporarily, most likely) to my PC laptop. In other words, if the Poser on your PC can do it, most likely the Poser on your mac can too.

• @eclark1849

Thank you for your answer.

I have watched some YouTube movies about Poser Pro 2014 and it seems that the whole software is an filmstudio with keyframes. So I can make almost any kind of animations. Great. I found it out by myself. ;-)

The only thing if I want good quality I need a lot of time when the animation will be rendered and here comes the Queue Manager to my assist to use other computers power in calculating and rendering the final movie (I have to download and install the same version on the other computers as I will have in my Mac Mini in the same network), which (Queue Manager) by the way is already included in Poser Pro 2014. I found it out also by myself. ;-)

The only last question is if I can put some Red-Alert-zones like outlines and change the skeleton parts of the skeleton bone color to red color. Is this color change possible when using M4 with M4 skeleton pack?

As you can see folks, I was a totally beginner in Poser so I did not know anything. So I understand why you did not answer to my so stupid questions cause Poser is an animation tool with a lot of benefits. Sometimes is the answer directly under ones nose. I had to do the work by myself. You did not saw that I was totally blind. ;-)

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

Is it possible to make some kind of record and pause with a button when posing the model in Poser in different situations

No, posing is immediate, but rendering (baking the pizza) takes time. The work flow is you assemble the scene, pose the figures, and then you tell Poser to render the final quality image. It will start calculating your images a little piece at a time, till it has finished.
    How much time that rendering process takes depends on your computer and the complexity of the scene. It can be a couple minutes/image and it can be hours.
    Rendering is not a real time process. Far from that.

That's for simple (still) images. Animations are a little more complex, given you don't just pose a figure, statue-like, you also have to program the movement(s).
    The way to go about making an animation (movie), is you pose manually the "key frames" (key positions), and Poser interpolates the in-between frames. Given you won't animate a ballet but just simple moves and positions, I guess you'll just have two key frames: Initial pose and "ouch" pose. Maybe an intermediate key frame if Poser's interpolation is unrealistic, or not like you wanted it.
    Once you play the animation in preview and it looks like you wanted it, you tell Poser to render it; Meaning Poser will start rendering each frame of the animation following the settings you gave it. Which will be long, since there are 25 individual images in a second... Even if you cheat and use a lower frame rate, it still means a lot of pictures to render.

Making animations is not complex, but quite time consuming. Given you're new to Poser and immediately jumping off the deep end, I'd suggest you try doing some simple things first, to get the hang of Poser's animation controls and settings. And, I can't stress it enough, the manual is your friend. Read it, read it again...

For Poser Pro users Quenue Manager is some kind of Game Developer Ad-On

As seachnasaigh said, the Queue Manager is an included Poser tool which allows you to distribute the task of rendering over several computers. As I said, rendering takes time, so if you have several computers sitting around, you can have them all do a part of the work to speed things up. To use this distributed rendering feature, you need a fast network (WiFi won't cut it) and at least one other computer (of similar processing power).

I'd advise against trying to use it though. In the beginning you'll have so many things to learn and manage that it would be unwise to add another layer of complexity. Keep it simple. If render times tend to be too long, consider doing what pro studios do: Prepare the stuff during daytime, and have it render during the night. At night you don't mind if the computer is busy, and also you aren't compelled to look every 5 minutes if it has finished yet...

it seems that the whole software is an filmstudio with keyframes.

Indeed.

The only thing if I want good quality I need a lot of time when the animation will be rendered and here comes the Queue Manager to my assist to use other computers power in calculating and rendering the final movie

As I said above, be careful not to bite off more than you can swallow. You will have to learn using Poser from scratch, so don't add the advanced features on top of this.

(I have to download and install the same version on the other computers as I will have in my Mac Mini in the same network)

No, you only have to install the (supplied) Queue Manager on the other computers. Nothing else.
    Poser looks around the network and gives each available Queue Manager pieces of the picture to calculate.
    Note this requires a fast network (Gigabit is the minimum), as Poser will be sending around huge files. Also, all the computers used need to be fast enough and have enough memory, for it's a "weakest link" situation: Your render will be as fast (or slow) as the slowest computer used.

I'd suggest you try rendering solo first. As I said above, less headaches, and while it might be slower on the paper, you might actually lose less time trying to understand what went wrong...

The only last question is if I can put some Red-Alert-zones like outlines and change the skeleton parts of the skeleton bone color to red color. Is this color change possible when using M4 with M4 skeleton pack?

Yes, and no.
    Yes, it is indeed possible to change the texture manually: Remember the 3D shape is "colored" by applying an image on it, image which is a simple JPEG picture, and which you can change easily.
    But I think that effect would be better looking if done in postwork (After Effects or some such - I don't know what kind of tools you have).

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.