Which Poser to buy - Poser 11 Pro - Poser Pro 2014?

• Poser Ambassadors

As far as I know, a Mac Mini cannot install a CUDA card.

So -- no you do not have the ability to use the CUDA GPU because you can't get one in your computer.

Also, CUDA is only for SuperFly which is overkill for the animation you want to do. FireFly is more than enough.

• @idiodos said in Which Poser to buy - Poser 11 Pro - Poser Pro 2014?:

@rg5a

I got offer to buy Poser Pro 11 for very good price. But what I understand Poser Pro 2014 is still the best for my machine of Mac Mini, 256 SSD, 16 GB, Quad Core, i7, Yosemite OS X, right?

Excellent. The things are getting more and more clear for me. Thanks to all of your good answers. :smile:

Finally. The last questing to be answered as below.
    Is Poser Pro 2014 still the best for my machine of Mac Mini, 256 SSD, 16 GB, Quad Core, i7, Yosemite OS X to use, or will Poser Pro 11 (so called Poser Pro 2016) work as fine too?

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• @idiodos said in Which Poser to buy - Poser 11 Pro - Poser Pro 2014?:

Is Poser Pro 2014 still the best for my machine of Mac Mini, 256 SSD, 16 GB, Quad Core, i7, Yosemite OS X to use, or will Poser Pro 11 (so called Poser Pro 2016) work as fine too?

I'd say Poser Pro 11 is a much better choice, but some would probably call me biased.

Check the Feature Comparison Chart for details on what Pro 11 offers in additon to Pro 2014.

• Given he has a specific goal in mind, I'd say it's about the same.

Let price decide, since both have (minor) advantages over each other.
    As I said further above, Pro 2014 is thoroughly debugged and stable, but Pro 11 is the next generation, so if you want to keep up you'll have to consider upgrades, and from this perspective it makes more (financial) sense to directly buy the latest version than to buy an older one and then have to upgrade later on.
    To put in in other words, you can't make a wrong choice, no matter which one you buy.

(I'll be gone for a while (business trip), so I'll won't be able to reply for some weeks.)

• @Uli-Klumpp

Good Morning, Every Body,

This chart was one of the first things a compared the different versions and yes, the Poser Pro 11 is better on the paper. As I have been writing here in forum I have gone through several information processes (learned a lot, thanks to all good answers) to think and to compare to and the leftovers are this:
    A) I have a smal budget so I have to have that in mind.
    B) I have a computer from late 2012 and that is quite an old Mac Mini, but this computer is, strange, in some cases even better and faster that todays Mac Minis, because it is a Quad Core processor with an i7. So a computer from late 2012 and a software from 2014 (thinking of Poser Pro 2014) could be the best marriage.
    C) I have found out that the earlier Pro is more stable than the later one. I have to have that also in consideration.
    D) I have also to be strategic meaning that a choice of latest version of Poser Pro 11 is although the latest generation, but I also have to be sure that Poser Pro is not so processor demanding - so this is an very important possible issue for me to have in mind. I'm not going to buy a new computer if I should notice after choosing Poser Pro 11 that is would be the case. So I understand all of you who are trying to convince me to choose Poser Pro 11 - especially for the consequence of that choice in marketing and maybe also the compelling actors of different 3D artist software could use this in a wrong way and there is always a person behind those choices. That would be sad if that would be using in a wrong way, but everybody have to have in mind that you have to read the whole tread and you have to understand that I have some special demands to focus on (quite simple animation I will do).

To be clear - I have an old computer from late 2012. I need a software which will match this operation in best optimal use for working with that software. I have a smal budget. And I have not stil got the real good answer if Poser Pro 11 can work as good as Poser Pro 2014 on my Mac without slowing it down, and I am not interested of having a software crashing the moves I do or that the rendering won't work because of some bugs in the latest software - it depends what kind of bugs it is. If it is some minor and not so harmful ones, then that is not an issue. All new software has almost some kind of bugs.

LAST THOUGHTS AND WONDERINGS:
    Yes, Poser Pro 11 is the best choice on the paper, but is that the best choice for me in my situation considering of:

1. Old Mac Mini from late 2012.
    2. Poser Pro 2014 (stable software) is closer to 2012 than Poser Pro 11 (even could be called for Poser Pro 2016 and not so "stable"), depending if Poser Pro 11 has been so much optimized so it could even be faster than Poser Pro 2014 in older and newer computers?
    3. I have an smal budget (I am not going to buy a new computer and I am not going to buy Poser Pro 11 for $ 499.99 USD [but I could buy it for better price as I have been offered, but again - it depends what the answers will be to C, D and 2]).

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• I have used Poser Pro 2012, 2014 and 11 on my Windows laptop (Quad core A8-3530MX 1.9GHz and 6GB ram) which is about the same age as your Mac Mini and have had no issues with speed or not running correctly. One point to be made for going with Poser Pro 11 is that it has the custom Parameter palettes. Which make it really nice to put just those dials that you will be using to animate your character with, instead of looking at every single dial in the body of your figure. Price wise if the cost is close to the same I would go with Poser Pro 11 because PP2014 is probably not going to get any more updates (except to fix an OS issue) and PP11 could possibly get further features with Service Releases.

Also you may want to go to Runtime DNA and check the forums for some hints that I have posted over the years about animating with Poser. Search for Richard60. Also several of the other people who have answered have some good advice over there as well, Seachnasaigh comes to mind as a good source.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you look at various sites online you can usually find good sales on older versions of Poser. This could actually help you solve the problem and stay within budget. It can be cheaper to buy a copy of Poser Pro 2014 and then upgrade it to Poser 11 Pro, than buying Poser 11 Pro at full price.

Just a suggestion.

Also, I built my PC in 2012 and am still running just fine on it. It's windows 7 with a quad and 16gb. I have no problems with 2014 or 11 pro running smoothly. The same should be true for a mac of the same age.

• @AmbientShade

Thank your for your time to answer me!

It seems that Poser Pro 11 is a good choice, for an upgrade if I find a good price of Poser Pro 2014. I have an offer to buy Poser Pro 11 for a good price. Just waiting for some details if it will work.

What graphic Card do you have? I have On my MacMini Intel HD Graphics 4000, quite simple graphic card. Could it be so good in this case anyway?

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• @richard60

Thanks a lot of your input. I Like this forum. So many helpful people here sharing with their thoughts and experience. :clap:

What graphic card do you have in your computer? As I have an Intel HD Graphic 4000, quite simple one. Can it be good enough with Poser Pro 11?

I will go and read the hints about animation and search for Richard60 ASAP I had installed Poser Pro.

Poser Pro 11 or Poser Pro 2014... probably Poser Pro 11 if the good offer still is active from the salesman and you have as simple graphic card as in mine Mac Mini OR it can run as good as better graphic cards do. I guess the Graphic Card is a important issue of animation but maybe not so important when rendering - there is maybe the processor speed more vital - right?.

Wonderful help!

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• @idiodos I would say that for what you seem to be saying you want to do, Poser Pro 2014 is your best buy. And if you change your mind later, you can always upgrade.

Poser's Superfly will render with either a CPU or GPU card. In your case, for your Mac, it would probably use CPU, but, and remember I'm giving advice about a product I don't have yet, I believe you can check in the render settings to see if you can use the card that came with your mac for GPU rendering. I'm going to guess "no", but as I said, i don't know.

• @eclark1849

Poser Pro 11 has this recommendations for Mac.

"OpenGL enabled graphics card or chipset recommended (recent NVIDIA GeForce and ATI Radeon required for advanced real-time preview features)."

So my MacMini with Intel HD Graphics 4000, can it handle this at all?

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden

• Since Poser 5 the render engine has been Firefly. This is a CPU based renderer. Poser 11 has both Firefly and SuperFly. Superfly works with both the CPU and if you have the right type of video card the GPU. My laptop has a built in AMD video system so can not use the GPU option of Superfly, but it does a nice job with CPU. If you read the forums you will find that the GPU renderer does not increase render speeds by that much. Having said that Superfly can do some renderings functions that Firefly can not, but both of them can be done by the CPU or GPU and in some cases only by the CPU.
    The main advantage in having a more powerful GPU is that it can display in the preview window how lights are going to show and what the shadows will look like. But you will find that Preview and Final Render will look different so for the most part if your current video system can play games and watch YouTube videos then it should be able to handle Poser.

• Poser Ambassadors

@idiodos said in Which Poser to buy - Poser 11 Pro - Poser Pro 2014?:

@AmbientShade

What graphic Card do you have?

GTX 970.

You can get some very nice results in P11's preview render. It's better than a lot of firefly renders you find in the galleries, imo - if you aren't looking for ultra realism.

• @richard60

Excellent! :v:

Then I will buy Poser Pro 11 ASAP, if I still have the good offer from one salesman. I wont give my credit card number, but I can use PayPal. I hope the salesman accepts that.

Otherwise I will buy a Poser Pro 2014, cause my budget is what it is.

Thants all for your so good and patient explanations of something which is so easy for you, but has been insecure for me in the beginning. Now I now better, thanks to ALL OF YOUR GOOD ANSWERS!!! :clap: :smile:

Next time I have a question it will be some technical help or doing some stuff, hopefully depending if I will get the software for that good price and I can buy from him through PayPal, in Poser Pro 11. I will study a lot the manual, as suggested earlier from some forum member.

Sincerely,
    Idiodos from Sweden