Stemming the Notification flood?

• Sorry about slowly filling up the Feedback forum, but is there a way to get only a single notification until I visit a subscribed thread again? The normal way?

Right now I'm getting a notification each time somebody posts to a thread I've subscribed to, which means that if I subscribe to a couple popular threads I'm bound to get spammed silly with notifications. Woe if I'm absent a couple days and can't delete them as they come... :fearful:

I didn't find any setting about that, I would be grateful if somebody could please point me to the right direction.

• Poser Ambassadors

The bottom option of the settings page (in your profile) has a setting for turning off notifications of every post.

• You mean "Send an email when replies are made to topics I am subscribed to"?
    Doesn't unchecking this stop all email notifications?

• Poser Ambassadors

I believe it will. I have mine set with both the bottom ones off and the top option set to daily digest.
    And because I am on everyday, I dont get any.

• Ah yes, that's not the good solution. Unchecking it does indeed prevent any notification email from being sent, I just tested it with this thread.

I want to get one single notification that somebody has replied to a thread I'm interested in, and no more till I visit that given thread.

I only visit from time to time, depending on free time, and in the meantime I don't want my mailbox to be filled with dozens of notifications.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have not played around with the options, and I do not know if there are additional plugins that could be added.
    I will do some research on it and see what I can come up with.

• Okay, thank you.
    I think this will be a really important feature when the forum takes off. Imagine having subscribed to 4-5 popular topics which get a dozen posts/day. It means you're in for some 50+ notifications/day! That's where the fun ends...

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes, that could get messy in a hurry. Somehow we missed that. :/

• Yes, I didn't like all those notifications either, so I opted for Scott's method. I only get a daily Digest, which is much better. Especially now that I found the Ignore button for the forums I'm not interested in.

• While we're chatting here, notifications keep arriving in close formation (22+ today!). :fearful:
    I think I'll switch notifications off till you implement a way to control the flood.

• @shvrdavid said in Stemming the Notification flood?:

I have not played around with the options, and I do not know if there are additional plugins that could be added.
    I will do some research on it and see what I can come up with.

Did you find any solution? Or are we stuck with no notifications at all or getting spammed silly? (A daily digest is, well, daily, so if you post something and would like to know ASAP if somebody replied, it won't help you much.)

• I switched them off too ... 10 mails for one thread ... ugh. I am on daily digest now ...

• Daily digest is not an optimal solution, as I said above. It prevents same-day discussions from taking place.

What did the creators of this forum software think when they created the notification system? Obviously they never used a forum before. All forum software I know (quite a lot) features the basic, sensible "no further notification till next visit" system... :-(

• Poser Ambassadors

@rg5a

I have not found a solution to it yet.
    Just so you know, I do not do the programming here, but I have a local version running in a VM to play around with.
    I know they are looking into it thou, and a list of other things as well.

I wish I had a fast fix/answer to give you, but I do not.
    This is a fairly new forum, and I admit that there are some kinks in it.
    All I can do at the moment is ask your patience while everything gets hammered out.

• @rg5a said in Stemming the Notification flood?:

Daily digest is not an optimal solution, as I said above. It prevents same-day discussions from taking place.

What did the creators of this forum software think when they created the notification system? Obviously they never used a forum before. All forum software I know (quite a lot) features the basic, sensible "no further notification till next visit" system... :-(

I'm pretty sure this is the Discourse forum software that we're on or some type of Dicourse-ish spinoff... unfortunately.

One of the other forums I belong to switched to this same one from vBulletin and I've never been more upset with a forum decision that shouldn't matter, but it did.

You can't even ignore individual users with Discourse because the developers don't believe that you should be able to ignore specific people, they also want the experience to be more like you're on twitter or some other social sites instead of a forum, seriously...

SM should have gone with XenForo, it's basically a rebooted vBulletin without the bugs and security issues.

• @shvrdavid said in Stemming the Notification flood?:

@rg5a
    Just so you know, I do not do the programming here, but I have a local version running in a VM to play around with.

Yes, I guess you do. I guess every admin worth his salt does it. I'm administering a forum too (Team Dystopia, DAZ merchant team), and I have an exact copy of the forum (complete database copy) on another (private) web server so I can test stuff (updates, fixes, plug-ins) before applying it to the public version... It's the sensible thing to do, and it doesn't even require that much work.

I wish I had a fast fix/answer to give you, but I do not.

It's okay, it's enough to know this wasn't filed as a "oh well" issue. :o)
    Thanks.

• @johndoe641 said in Stemming the Notification flood?:

You can't even ignore individual users with Discourse because the developers don't believe that you should be able to ignore specific people

I don't mind that since I never ignore anybody. Even the most complete idiot can sometimes say something useful, and anyway, reality is as it is, blocking it won't change it. -shrug-

they also want the experience to be more like you're on twitter or some other social sites instead of a forum, seriously...

Oh my. "Social networking" is the disease of these days. I'm pretty sure I'll live to see the fad pass. IT fads have been popping up regularly for years, and slowly going the way of the dodo: Thin clients, Java (and so on)...

SM should have gone with XenForo, it's basically a rebooted vBulletin without the bugs and security issues.

Or phpBB, which somehow got out of fashion despite being quite reliable and free. But it's too late to discuss this now, now we need to make the best of what we have.
    I'm very happy we finally got a working Poser forum, no matter the software.