Need some help positioning a Poser camera

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's another easy demo.

Place your dolly camera at DollyX = 0, DollyY=0, DollyZ=0. Move some other objects or figures so you can see them from that position at the world origin.

Now - spin your Dolly camera Scale dial. Absolutely nothing happens. This is because you're scaling the xyz position, but it is 0,0,0 which means no matter how you scale it, position is still 0,0,0.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's my preview with dolly camera at 0,0,0. It looks exactly this way at any camera scale.

0_1463162058381_dolly at any scale.png

Andy was moved back 30 inches so I could see him from this spot.

• e, what are the dimensions of the room?

The only options that I'd ever touch on the camera are Focal Length, XYZ axis, Roll/Pitch/Yaw and FD for DOF. If you're looking to get a small room in your FoV you're going to have to use a wide angle lens/number of 25 or less. That might bring a lot of barrel distortion depending on how close the figure is to your camera but that's easily correctable in post.

• @johndoe641 Or i can scale down the camera and move it back. I don't know if it fits what BB says, but it works for me and that's what i was looking for.

• @eclark1849 Wouldn't it be easier, just to turn off the visibility on the wall, object, that's blocking your view (so you can position the camera to the position that you want) go to the parameters tab (with the wall,object selected that's blocking your view) click off the visible in camera, leave the visible in raytracing left on. Scene will render minus the blocking wall, object. Caveat is that you need to tun off all parts of the wall, window frames etc. And you need to frame the camera view within the room, works for me when trying to get renders in tight room scenes.

• If you are using Superfly really your tool of choice for making shoots in a small room should be the 'hither' dial. It works just like the focal distance (not the focal length, that is something different).
    It simply makes everything that is less than the distance you set it to from the lens invisible. The dial by default is set to a small value, but if you dial up the value to match a position between the obstructing walls and your figure you will see the obstacles do not show up in your render.
    BTW For me this worked only in SuperFly. In PoserPro11 the function seems broken in FireFly.
    See below result of Andy2 in a default Poser cylinder sized up to 1000%. I set Hither to a value that just cuts the cylinder to show the effect. Note how the lower part of the image, the ground (the construct) is cut away and the Poser background is shown.
    0_1463245632013_AndyInCylinder.jpg

Note the similar dial 'yon' ('yonder') can be helpful to make renders witth the figure without the background while using the Poser11 Construct.

• Just adding that in the above I made the cylinder somewhat transparent so there is light on Andy. If the walls are not transparent you need to provide light sources, If there is no light in the room, there is darkness and that is what Superfly shows.
    0_1463247591216_AndyInCylinder-Superfly_0001.jpg
    This is Andy in complete darkness in the cylinder without transparency. The light stripes at the side are parts of the outer wall.
    Note the geometry less than the distance set in 'hither' is not removed form the scene. This is Superfly and if the geomettry was not there Andy if not in direct light would have ben lit by diffuse light from the Construct.
    0_1463247653547_AndyInCylinder-Superfly_0002_0001.jpg
    Here I added a point light in is dark dungeon.
    Of course for real room shots you would zoom in to ensure you see only the room.

• @dgould2001 said in Need some help positioning a Poser camera:

@eclark1849 Wouldn't it be easier, just to turn off the visibility on the wall, object, that's blocking your view (so you can position the camera to the position that you want) go to the parameters tab (with the wall,object selected that's blocking your view) click off the visible in camera, leave the visible in raytracing left on. Scene will render minus the blocking wall, object. Caveat is that you need to tun off all parts of the wall, window frames etc. And you need to frame the camera view within the room, works for me when trying to get renders in tight room scenes.

I don't see doing all of that as being "easier" than simply scaling down the camera and moving it where I want it, but if you don't mind going through the extra steps, yes, it's a viable option.

Of course, since I am the one making this room, I was also looking for a way to include a camera pre-set so that I wouldn't need to include a hundred different mat zones to make walls disappear.

@F_Verbaas said in Need some help positioning a Poser camera:

If you are using Superfly really your tool of choice for making shoots in a small room should be the 'hither' dial. It works just like the focal distance (not the focal length, that is something different).
    It simply makes everything that is less than the distance you set it to from the lens invisible. The dial by default is set to a small value, but if you dial up the value to match a position between the obstructing walls and your figure you will see the obstacles do not show up in your render.
    BTW For me this worked only in SuperFly. In PoserPro11 the function seems broken in FireFly.

I'm not using Superfly, as I don't have PP11 yet. However, even if I did, I'm not trying to support ONLY Superfly. Still, I'll keep your suggestion in mind if I do something similar in the future when I DO have PP11... or 12.:smiley: