Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.

• Poser Ambassadors

As requested, a sticky thread for enhancements. :)

• OK ... lets get started with the usual number one..... enhancements to the text tool
    a. True character spacing ( Kerning)
    b. Text wrap on Word ( currently wraps only on Letter)
    c. Text wrap to shape of balloon ( with a setting for the gap between letters and the Balloon edge )
    d. Text rotation and/or Text on a ruler ... as editable text and not as raster ( if when using this feature you had to enter/edit text in a simple pop up box rather than directly to canvas it would still be very worth having)
    e. Support for ligatures in fonts

• Enhancements to ACTIONS:-
    a. Ability to copy and action from one action set to another ( I think this may already be in the latest Japanese version)
    b. Ability for size based actions to roughly rescale their degree of affect when applied to images of very different size to the one when the action was recorded. This does not need to be super accurate. But the following functions when recorded should know if they are recorded on a small , small to medium, medium to large or large image and should apply a correction factor to the function if applied to a different size of image. This should apply at minimum to to Gaussiian Blur, Movement Blur, unsharp mask (sharpening) filter , Move layer, Size transforms, and width of Outline Selection, When it records the addition of a gradient layer it fails to record the setting of the direction line of that layer nor can it be set to pause and display the layer for self setting.
    c) when it records the addition of a gradient layer it fails to record the position of the gradient direction bar
    d) It currently fails to record changes to the image settings (in the property palette) for a layer of imported material ... even though the same settings are recorded when using the transform options on other layers
    e)Record changes to the color of the secondary picked color
    f) record selection and pulling of image of image layer from Materials palette
    g) Pause with text box. Ability to insert a pause in the action during which a text box is displayed. ( allows instructions to be added to actions )

1. ACTION
      I would like to include the abilitiy to select a tool within an ACTION.
      For example, I always use lasso after using ACTION 1 and a brush after using ACTION 2. So having an action end by selectign those tools would be neat.

2. COMMAND BAR
      Option for alligning the icons in the command bar on the right, or even centered. I keep adding icons on the left to push the icons I use closer to the right since I am right handed. On a 27" screen, reaching across to the left is a bit of a stretch.

• Support for the Wacom's $100 dollar airbrush stylus for Intuos tablets. Clip Studio does not support the stylus' wheel.
      Present day Wacom Airbrush >> https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/Accessories/Pens
      (But they exist for all Intuos, all the way back to the original Intuos 1 tablet; and are fully supported by Painter and Photoshop.)

• This post is deleted!

1. Default simple line balloon tail. CSP can easily create amazing balloon styles but talways the complex line style makes horrible tails ... it needs to be easy to and a simple tail to a complex balloon.
      2)a Distorto/Liquify type brush : This could be an additional setting of the Mix settings on the ink tab or it could be a separate standalone tool. It is the ability to pull the existing pixels around expanding or compressing them but without blurring the join between the color areas. It delivers a controlled marbling effect. Note the distortion filters already move the pixels in this manner
      3)Blur full containment by selection. Currently if you Gaussian or Movement BLUR the content of a selection it does protect the unselected areas but it pulls into the blur selection pixels ( or transparency) from outside the selection. It would be good to be able to restrict it to only blur/mix the pixels that were already in the selection . Also if the selection has a number of separate unconnected selected areas then it would be good if this setting stopped one selected areas pixels leaking across to the other selected area.
    2. Selection by Color Gamut by Hue or by Grayscale tone or by Saturation... Its currently only by some mixture of all three which often makes it difficult to control ( this would also need to be Action Recordable )

• Shapes with fills on vector layers. It seems this should be somehow easy to do as the balloon shape are more less like this already.
    • Of course enhancements to the Text tool, especially support for Open Type functions and kerning
    • A function to randomize the rotation angle and/or size of the texture. This would make textured brushes more unpredictable and natural.
    • Optional support for gestures with Wacom on Mac
    • Use of the programs own color picker instead of the native OSX color picker for things like layer color.

• I know it is pie in the sky, but I want paper noises for pens and pencils. Scratchy noises for pens like using a g-pen, and softer scratchy noises for penciling. I have a cintiq so taping paper to my screen is a bad idea.
    Brushes probably have more of a swoosh sound. And erases have an occasional squeek.

• coming from corel painter, I really miss the ability to pick up colors from underlying layers when blending.

I also hope CSP expands on the brush/blending engine in general - I understand that it's geared towards comics/manga creation first,
    but I really hope there will be an intuitive equivalent of photoshop's wet brushes/smudges, or painter's oil brushes coming sometime later.
    (I'm aware that there's the running color mode for color mixing, but it's not doing exactly what I'm expecting, and typically looks weird to me :/)

• Vector export.

I realize that some of the way CSP handles vector wouldn't display properly in other applications, but I still letter in Illustrator because of the vector output (and lets face it, the text editing in horrible, while better in the recent version, is still cumbersome).

• When creating panels from a single one (like divide evenly) or from a create panels dialog number the panels in left-right manner. I always end up renumbering them and resenting the time sink it is. I know that CSP calls 'em Frames, and that's my next one: Use common names for the english/western versions. Don't create a new round thing and call it "Rolling Disc", call it a wheel. This applies to Panels (not frames) and Gutters. Call the areas on the canvas Live Area, Trim Area not the gawd-awful names like Manga Snowflake Cutoff or whatever it's called currently.

It's a shame, really, that the best darn app for creating comics and art uses non-standard terms to describe things that already have good words for them.

Oh and everything 888toto says.

• OH - and a minor request,

is it possible to sort color sliders as "hue -> saturation -> lightness" when painting with a triangular color wheel, at least as an option?
    right now they're in the H-> L -> S order, and it's still distracting after the months I've been painting pretty much exclusively with CSP.

• Much as a love the CSP brush engine ... there is always more that can be done...

a. Ability to display the outline of the brush tip shape as the brush cursor ... If this is too complex because of dynamic size changes and use of the “Random” settings then at least provide it for a DAB setting in which the tip is only applied once per dab ( so that you can accurately place complex large brush shapes)

b. Setting for spray brushes to eject out in a cone from the tip of the stylus out in the direction of the stylus... This would emulate the behaviour of an airbrush.... Tilt of the pen affecting the degree of spread of the cone. While I have perfected a way of partially simulating this with the current engine it would be much better done within the spray brush engine itself.

c. Direction based Tip shape: In version 4 there was a direction “Step” setting in which you could set the Direction variance to step in 90 degree steps ( I never saw it used for anything other than 90 degrees). A more powerful alternative would be to be able to set the tip shape to 4 slots one for the tip when the brush was travelling roughly left, one for right, one for up and one for down. You could then not only emulate the previous STEP function but could also make brushes that Flipped shaped depending of direction ( great for feathering brushes for example). For maximum capability the switching could be either by the direction of the line being drawn or the direction of the tilted pen.

d. The Hardness Setting : Zero hardness is still only 50% as soft as I would expect ( even with "Adjust brush density by Gap").. it needs to be able to get softer than that. Dynamic control of hardness ( e.g. by pressure) would be nice. Ability to control hardness of any brush would also be great.... or at least to be able to moderately fade the edge of any other brush.

e. For Spay brushes it is sometimes difficult to balance the interplay between size of Brush an size of Particle. Sometimes it would be nice to have a setting to lock the two together.

f. There is a bug with the Stroke setting " Repeat Method" ... if the brush has more than one tip image and you set this to "not Repeat" it should only use a single tip.... but in fact the very first stamp is of a different tip shape to the rest.

g. When you set Random size or width on a Ribbon brush you get a spiky brush that looks like an electric shock ( not much use)... at least one of them ( size or width) should give you a smoothed randomization of the ribbon width.

h. The "make corner pointed " Correction setting is a nice idea but it needs more work on it... mostly it gets it wrong and it is overly sensitive to imperfect pen movement when creating a right angle...

and another couple of simple changes to ACTIONS:

1. ability to set the color of each Action button ( making it easier to find an action or seperate them into categories)
    2. put the ability to toggle button mode off and on onto the Actions command bar

• I also love michaelsammler's idea about sound effects ( as long as you can also switch them off). The sound of the pen scratching ,the fizz of a spraycan, A creaky door when rotating the canvas, the sound of tumbleweed when waiting endlessly for the Unsharp mask to start doing anything ... this is not sarcasm... I really like the idea.

• @888toto said in Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.:

c. A more powerful alternative would be to be able to set the tip shape to 4 slots one for the tip when the brush was travelling roughly left, one for right, one for up and one for down. You could then not only emulate the previous STEP function but could also make brushes that Flipped shaped depending of direction ( great for feathering brushes for example). For maximum capability the switching could be either by the direction of the line being drawn or the direction of the tilted pen.

this sounds interesting, it seems like an expanded version of the double brush feature in photoshop.

@888toto said in Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.:

d. Dynamic control of hardness ( e.g. by pressure) would be nice.

I remember reading the Japanese CSP support board, and this has been consistently requested for many years, apparently.
    I can't recall any other painting app that would have it implemented, though, maybe it really is not as easy to phase in as it sounds.

• another thing, almost forgot to post it —
    it would be nice if the approximate color palette had an option to shift colors towards cooler/warmer parts of spectrum,
    photoshop has a plug-in that does precisely that, and has a saturation ramp as well:

alt text
    clicking on the corners shifts current color towards a colder/warmer and lighter/darker hue.

• 1. A floating Undo button. -Having it always locked to the top bar makes it inconvenient. -Perhaps have it possible to add it to the tool bar?

2. Have "New Canvas" auto-fill in the dimensions of whatever image is currently in the memory's clip board. Copying and pasting into a new document is less convenient when you have to key in the dimensions of whatever you just copied.

3. Allow a keyboard toggle of the selection lasso between free hand selecting and polygonal selecting while you are still selecting.

4. When pasting something, have it appear near the cursor and not way up in the top left corner. It is inconvenient having to go look for it and drag it to where you need it.

Out of these, #3 is the most important to me.

See my other post about it here:

Thank-you so much for considering these! I hope you will include them in your excellent software.

• Make Vector Drag Handles Larger

I started out using Inkscape, so I'm used to the drag handles on vectors being significantly larger. I'm also use to them being persistent - Displaying when I select a vector line - rather than just when you hover over them.

I'd really like to see these two features in Clip Studio.

Just make the drag handles about twice as large and have have them displaying when a vector is selected, please.

• @thatcomicsguy said in Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.:

4. When pasting something, have it appear near the cursor and not way up in the top left corner. It is inconvenient having to go look for it and drag it to where you need it.

I second this. I often use large canvas with multiple fames or clipping. So it would be great if when I pasted something in it appeared right where my cursor is, rather than on another part of the screen where clipping means that it's either invisible or that it's hidden under another object.