Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.

• @Micmac When I open the Ellipse SubTool details, I can find the Correction section, but there's no Post Correction or Bezier Curve options that I can see.

• Adding support for radial gradients would also be helpful.

• Already there Kitfox

• I'm overall very happy with the most recent update (release delay aside, I guess) - love that clip no longer dies on mac when some other app using GPU is involved; I can actually capture my painting process without any lag now, and using any web-browser other than safari for like
    youtube browsing for references during painting doesn't lead to major slowdowns as before (idk if windows ppl had this issue, but it was p. bad here);

that being said, I'm really hoping they will expand on brush engine, especially color blending, before adding anything else on top - I've just seen some of sai2 brush tool improvements and looking on the number of added variables alone left me pretty impressed (still can't run the software itself tho, sad);

I also hope that photoshop's double brush feature will make its way to clip at some point - I'm mostly focused on creating illustrations in painterly, rather than comic-looking style, and I feel I've hit the limit with current clip brush engine when it comes to brush-making; I wish there was more ways to make brush strokes more complex/organic looking. I would've used photoshop for overpainting my clip work, but I absolutely loathe the way it responds to pen pressure, and also clip's transparent paint swatch that erases paint is genius, adobe could honestly learn a thing or two from celsys in that aspect.

other than that, a minor request - I wish it was possible to undock the new color picker options (like the HSV ramp, or hue circle) into a separate palette; I think this should be relatively easy to implement.

I'm judging people who come asking for vector tool updates, though - there're lots of cross-platform options for doing vector works, either low-cost or free-ware (like affinity has a brilliant design app that only costs ~$ 50), whereas actual painting apps are either only available on windows, or plain suck (i.e. autodesk sketchbook or current corel painter)

• @nekomata Good Morrow nekomata, I also came from painter, the blending feature is certainly worthy.
    The thing is ....CSP DOES do it too, I love it and left painter on the shelf.
    CSP is my main painting app for certain, now.
    I agree double brushes would be great and better control of ribbon corners ( ie switch to the second' non ribbon' brush at sharp corners) would make for more control.
    So I've played with blending and natural look / more creative brush effects , I think you'll be pretty happy with the bending that CSP can do with these... Yes I mean dragging the paint around and smearing while applying.
    Have a look here https://squarebrush.com
    Give them a go, they are all fully customised scanned from real ind paints and fully tweaked.

Here's a video of the install, you get to see a few of the brushes blending in the demo.

0_1506426997137_Swamp Fusion 1080.jpg
    This image was done with one brush at one size, from the finest line to the fattest blend, I altered no settings whatsoever, not even the diameter. Check it out.

• Oh and this shows off the blending in CSP too

• This image was done with one brush at one size, from the finest line to the fattest blend, I altered no settings whatsoever, not even the diameter.

I have your brushes, Yogg... which one is it?

Mic

• @Micmac , hi Micmac,that's great ! I hope you are liking them.
    The swampy piece is done with ' Fusion' and The 'mountains' uses the 'Range'.
    Both are in the bristle category ( red ). Press harder to blend more, like with a real brush.

It would be nice, here's a suggestion.. if we could make notes about the brush, that can be accessed in their properties to explain the brush's specialities.
    I have been careful to have only the most the relevant sliders for each brush visible in properties so make the most relevant adjustments - should you need them.

I think Nekomata's double brush would be VERY helpful, I believe I've requested that too.

I'll get that tute onto the website as soon as I can some time.

• @yogg Oh @Micmac Use that fusion Brush at a MASSIVE size 600 is not too much, press VERY lightly and see HOW small and detailed it get's , the softer you press the clearer it gets, more like a real brush that average digital brushes.

• Thanks yogg, enjoying your brushes.

Mic

• LAB COLOR MODE
    Lab color is extremely useful in digital painting. It allows you a much finer and accurate control to colors.
    It'd be absolutely amazing if Clip Studio Paint would support this color mode
    Here's a good infographic explaining the power of LAB color mode:
    0_1507966660480_e21bb72c-3cd3-42a4-8685-e5de68423652-image.png

• @pa-noa LAB is available from the Color Setting window (double click the main or sub color box).

• @garlam I'm not just talking about the LAB color sliders, but LAB color mode. It gives a much different and useful blending properties
    0_1508043496930_fceb0a61-1bc6-439d-aa9d-1d9e36d84862-image.png
    Also another feature I'd suggest is the ability to change our gamma

• @pa-noa To note, the default is RBG 2.2 which Clip Studio Paint uses too, which is unchangeable at the moment. As you can see, it produces really ugly and dark colors when you do blending with it.
    And when I say blending here, I don't mean the brush blending features in "Mix ground colors". But I'm referring to when you paint a low-opacity stroke of color over a different color. Some people call this "on-screen blending".

• @pa-noa Hey, I'm actually very interested in this color blending mode, do you think you might be able to make a VIDEO on the subject, or perhaps link us to one?

It seems like the kind of thing that would be best taught through video and dialogue, rather than text.

And I do always love watching things that can potentially improve my colors.

Also.... does Paint Tool SAI use this mode? If so, it might explain why blending colors seems a bit easier there.

• @lapinbeau I've tested it and SAI also uses RGB 2.2 gamma behaviour, which is also currently unchangeable.

When you say that blending is easier there, you're probably talking about the built-in brush blending features (Mix ground colors, dilution, color stretch, etc.).
    Which is true, SAI and CSP built-in brush blending features is superior over Photoshop.
    But I'm talking about a different type of blending, which is painting a low-opacity stroke over a different color.

Matt Kohr might be able to explain this better, here's a video about the kind of blending I'm talking about (he didn't cover anything about LAB or RGB 1.0 gamma sadly):
    https://www.ctrlpaint.com/dp101-3/

Also, I don't really have any skill in making videos, but I think this video by minutephysics, can explain this well.
    He didn't go into much technical specifics of the settings, but he covered what is generally wrong with the default RGB 2.2 gamma we usually use, and why we should use RGB 1.0 gamma instead:

I think the info and the infographic images (that hopefully will load on your side) I've given here, is pretty much enough to understand all of this well. You can experiment with these using Photoshop, if you want to have a better feel of these behaviours.

tl;dr Programs use RGB 2.2 gamma blending by default, but this cause blended colors to look ugly and dark. RGB 1.0 gamma and LAB color mode blending provide more appealing and accurate color blending

• Hmmm... That is indeed interesting.

All right, I'll throw my hat in with you and say that I'd love to see this kind of blending/color mode in a future update for Clip Studio Paint. :)

• The more colour modes, the better.

• Got some more suggestions here, specifically for the rulers.

Basically I'd like Clip to be able to do whatever LazyNezumiPro can do. Right now Clip can do MOST of it. Straight lines, rulers, perspective... but it's still messing quite a few features that I feel would really add a lot of power to the tools.

Here's a couple of links showing all the features:

https://lazynezumi.com/perspective
    https://lazynezumi.com/rulers

But what I 'd specifically like is something that gives us a "preview" of the line we're about to draw when using a Perspective ruler, like this:

alt text alt text

Currently SAI 2 is working on this type of "preview," as their latest test build shows. You may also notice that the LN line has "spaces" on it, that correspond to the perspective, allowing for easier placement of equidistant lines. True, Clip has the "perspective grid," but it's honestly not as effective as you'd think, since the massive grid can honestly distract from the task at hand.

A "Line Attenuation" feature might also be a good feature, since it would also extend to "stamp" style brushes, like grass, and textures. A godsend and a timesaver for concept and background artists.

alt text

I would also very much like to see a "Curvilinear Perspective" tool. Some easier implementation of "parallel circles" and the like wouldn't hurt either. Perhaps an option for the perspective rulers that allow you to CURVE the lines up to the vanishing point?

alt text alt text

All of these are features I'd like to see implemented in Clip. I could link more, but I trust the mods/devs are aware of the program, and I do hope that these posts actually help development.

But until these features are implemented, I'll be buying LN Pro to do some of these things in Clip. NOT out of spite though, just making that clear. I just want to use all possible options for improving my art.

• @lapinbeau Great suggestions, lapinbeau! Curvilinear especially, Text should wrap along curves too. :)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.