Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.

• @chayemor said in Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.:

Liquify (for fixing mistakes post rendering)

I've seen a feature called "distorto brush" on (what is supposedly) a roadmap for clip studio development (it's somewhere on their Japanese website, and I have to rely on a google translate to read it), so there might be a liquify tool replacement in works.

I don't know how soon it is coming (if my assumption is correct in the first place), but it likely won't be as fast as current photoshop one (which is heavily GPU-optimized in the recent releases.)

• @chayemor The Warp tool in CSP is quite good in that it works on both raster and vector layers. you can also select multiple layers and warp them simultaneously. and you can choose the number of grid points that are available ( none of these features are in the old version of Photoshop CS3 that I still have ( I don't use PS for anything now). However the pS WARP is smoother and easier to use as you can drag from between the control points and there are some nice preset warps. In CSP you can save a warp as an action ...as a sort of preset, but as it saves in absolute pixel units it only really works well on selections of the same pixel size.

You can build a brush that approximates to a distorto brush ( its not perfect because it it does blend adjacent color areas more than you may like )....however I think these are the key settings to get close....

1)Ink > mix ground color on...Running Color
    2)INK> amount of paint and density of paint set to zero
    3)ink: Color stretch set to 40

1. Ink: density of blur set to zero
    2. Stroke: Gap set to something really tiny e.g. 0.4

you may also find it helps to set the thickness setting to 20%

I hope Nekomata is right that they will produce a true Distrorto , though in truth it is fun to play with distorto but is rarely of much real use. For general marbling effects I actually have an Action that does a double pass with the Mesh warp tool... and that actually does a good job ...its just less fun than using a distorto brush.

• @nekomata That would be awesome!!! :) I do hope so!

• @888toto @joy2 indeed it does! I had looked though google by searching "warp tool" but never found a hit. For anyone reading this thread, here's how to get to it:

1. Make a selection
    2. Go to Edit > Transform > Mesh Transformation

And that's it, you'll get your warp tool :) Pretty cool though I have to admit it feels a bit clunky in comparison to Photoshop's. But that's something that will just keep on improving. I'm quite happy to see it at least has the feature, hoooray! :) Thanks for pointing that out everyone!

• Gradient Map: Real-time Color Adjustments

Clip Studio Paint's Gradient Map feature is almost perfect, but it's still missing a very critical feature, which is the ability to adjust and select the color and see the results in real-time.

You can already slide the points on the Gradient bar and see the changes on your canvas in real-time. But when you're still selecting the colors, you can't see the changes in real-time.

This is an extremely critical feature, especially if you're using this to colorize black and white paintings, since you need to be able to make a lot of fast and nuanced color adjustments and experimentations to get it right.

Please do consider this suggestion, Celsys!

• @panhartstuff And by "selecting the colors" I meant using the "Color settings" window within the "Specified Color" option

To make it clearer I made a recorded gif below (wait for it to load for a bit, since it's a bit big, it might take a while for it to actually show up), showing the difference between selecting colors in the Gradient Map in Photoshop and in Clip Studio Paint

Clip Studio Paint's Gradient Map:
    alt text

Photoshop's Gradient Map:
    alt text

• I'll post mine. Probably a lot of them have already been posted.
    If there's something that's actually possible and I haven't figured it out yet, I would greatly appreciate it if you told me so :)
    Of course I agree with the text tool problems.
    I do my text in photoshop, mainly because of the kerning issues in CS.
    A feature i use a lot is the alt+arrows shortcut to slightly change the distance between letters. It's unthinkable to do that in CS, as it would take forever.
    Since the text tool is so bad, I wish i could export to a multi layer TIFF with editable text.

I also do my speech bubbles in photoshop.
    The balloon pen is kinda nice in CS, but because of the fact that I have to set my text in photoshop anyway, and because the vector manipulation afterwards is so bad, I never use it.
    My speech bubbles are also without a stroke and with a very subtle shadow underneath.
    Attempting this in CS is infuriating. It's not possible to have shapes without the stroke, so I have to just make it the same color as the shape.
    And since there's no drop shadow option, I have to copy the shape, slightly move it, and adjust the color of the shape AND the stroke again to fake some sort of shadow.
    A simple drop shadow layer effect would be handy.

rulers
    I would like to be able to drag the 0 point of the rulers to anywhere in my drawing to quickly determine measurements. (like in photoshop)
    It's very hard to figure out the exact dimensions of frames.

A burn/dodge/de-saturate tool would be nice.

Merge issue of sketch layers still not fixed.

Would like the option to disable export preview.

CMYK still looks different from photoshop, even though it's the same profile.
    Another reason I have to bring everything to photoshop for finishing.

clipstudio wants to save every file you open, even if you didn't make any changes to it.

Saving/rearranging/naming/copy/pasting multiple colors in color pallet.

the 3d functions went backwards compared to older versions for me.
    I was using some 3d models, combined with very basic sketches. I printed the results and then drew over it using a light table.
    But the rendering is so bad you can't get a nice line art version of a 3d object, and it's pretty much useless to me.

Dreaming:

Auto recognition and filling with basic colors of shapes based on previous comic book pages.
    Like the face of a character you already drew hundreds of times. Since so many apps manage to do some basic shape (usually facial) recognition, it might be possible.

A fast way to change all the colors in an image to, for example, night colors.
    Software like toon boom has this and it is used extensively in animation shows.

• @mrfart said in

A feature i use a lot is the alt+arrows shortcut to slightly change the distance between letters. It's unthinkable to do that in CS, as it would take forever.

The Word Space and Character Spacing sliders can be used to adjust spacing (I'm not sure why sliding takes longer than Alt+arrows but ...)

It's not possible to have shapes without the stroke, so I have to just make it the same color as the shape.

Choose to use Fill rather than Line and Fill when making balloons (Sub Tool Detail Palette under Create Balloon). .

rulers
    I would like to be able to drag the 0 point of the rulers to anywhere in my drawing to quickly determine measurements. (like in photoshop)

Move the 0 on the ruler by selecting Grid Settings under View and moving the x.

It's very hard to figure out the exact dimensions of frames.

The easiest way to do this is to use the Info panel. Simply drag a rectangle marquee selection over the panel and look at the info.

• The Word Space and Character Spacing sliders can be used to adjust spacing (I'm not sure why sliding takes longer than Alt+arrows but ...)

I really do feel it's faster and easier to to click between 2 letters and do alt+arrow. Instead of selecting a letter and then sliding, especially on a little surface screen.

shapes without the stroke>

Choose to use Fill rather than Line and Fill when making balloons (Sub Tool Detail Palette under Create Balloon). .

Thanks, I really didn't know this, and I could have sworn I looked for it in the sub tool details. (the options aren't visible by default).

rulers> Move the 0 on the ruler by selecting Grid Settings under View and moving the x.

Thanks. I still feel it's more straightforward with photoshop, but this helps.

frames> Simply drag a rectangle marquee selection over the panel and look at the info.

Also something I didn't know. And if I control+click on the layer it makes a selection for me (or right click>selection from ruler, if I only want 1 panel)

• rotate vanishing points
    It would be really useful to be able to rotate vanishing points (around station point) along the horizon.
    Lazy Nezumi is the only one I've seen offer this.

• brush cursor representing tip shape
    I know this was mentioned but I can't overstate how this affects the painting experience if you are using anything but a round brush.
    If you are using a stylus that supports rotation, it's magnified.
    I've spoken w 2 other guys at work that said this is the reason they haven't fully migrate to Clip.

• @markb said in Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.:

rotate vanishing points
    It would be really useful to be able to rotate vanishing points (around station point) along the horizon.
    Lazy Nezumi is the only one I've seen offer this.

If I understand what you you're asking for, then the easiest way to do this in CSP is to drag a simple 3D object onto the canvas (a cube for example). Make the Rulers folder visible (and I like to uncheck the grid view). Adjust the camera (the vanishing points will rotate as needed) and when you have your perspective set up the way you want, simply Alt+drag the ruler folder onto your drawing layer.

0_1515797635800_camera view.jpg

0_1515797652496_camera view2.jpg

• @garlam Thanks for that! I didn't realize 3d objects came with perspective rulers. Very clever.

Vanishing points have to do with the object as much as the camera and so it would be awkward to get new VPs for a new object rotation by rotating and then moving the camera.

Vanishing points have to do with the object as much as the camera and so it would be awkward to get new VPs for a new object rotation by rotating and then moving the camera.

For something like this (objects at different angles within a scene) You can use the object orientation menu bar to rotate the object after establishing your first set of vanishing points. (You can also use the Rotate sliders in the Allocate section to get a more precise angle to the original orientation). Rotate the object then select the horizon line to activate the Ruler. Right click and select Add Vanishing Point. Keep Fix Eye Level checked and move the angle of the perspective lines to match the edges of the box. Then add another VP on the other side.

0_1515811324324_second set.jpg

It can get confusing so you may want to deactivate the first set of VPs to make them a different color.

• That's what I was thinking. At least it gives the artist the chance to make decisions on the fly and it's a lot more reliable than guessing at new angles or doing the ellipse angle thing. Thanks again.

At least it gives the artist the chance to make decisions on the fly and it's a lot more reliable than guessing at new angles or doing the ellipse angle thing.

For anyone wondering what all this is about and why it matters:

You can't just put vanishing points down anywhere you want and expect your scene to look right. I've seen some awkward looking perspectives because the artist laid down VPs using the perspective ruler and just went at the scene without considering the angles.

In a one point perspective the viewer is looking at the VP directly, at a 90° angle. As you move an object so that two sides come into view, two VPs split the 90°. So if one VP is at x° the second VP is 90°-x°. Throw a second object into the scene that's turned a different way and it's the same thing, a new x° and 90°-x°. The Perspective ruler doesn't give you that kind of precision and you end up having to guess.

Pulling the Perspective Ruler from a 3D layer is the only way I've found that gives you the proper angles (aside from doing some very complicated planning).

• Choosing fonts is an exquisite torture in CSP .
    It should be easy to cycle through fonts without clicking here there everywhere , with so many windows opening and closing.
    PLEASE , PLEASE change the way fonts are selected!

• @yogg said in Suggestions, Enhancements, etc.:

Choosing fonts is an exquisite torture in CSP .
    It should be easy to cycle through fonts without clicking here there everywhere , with so many windows opening and closing.
    PLEASE , PLEASE change the33 way fonts are selected!

To cycle through fonts...try this..... select your text and then ( with a mouse) move the cursor over the Font selection box ( e.g. in the tool property palette)....don't click on it just hover and then roll the mouse centre wheel ... it will instantly cycle through each of your fonts changing the selected text as it goes. I wish I could fathom a way of also doing that with a pen drag... but I can use it with a pen and use on of the wacom touchstrips set to scroll and this works too.

• @888toto
    Hey thanks 888toto, right, the mouse. What the? That's super weird and annoying.
    I guess software dev's are mouse and keyboard people, that's why the pen operations are so rarely considered.
    I think they should force dev's to use the pen in apps which are predominantly pen operated, so thy get to understand the priorities.
    Thanks again

• @yogg Actually I always thought pens should have scroll wheels on them... that would fix a lot of issues and allow for boundless possibilities.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.