Forum Feedback - Stop Flicking About (Related to NSFW Imagery)

• Hi folks,

I cannot help but be irritated by the forum's desire to incessantly load images through a thread as I scroll through it. I 'affectionately' (phah) refer to this as 'Facebook Syndrome', where the adding of content to a page mid-scroll results in the scrollbar changing size and position, which results in exaggerated 'flicking' of the page, making me lose my place on said page.

IMHO, this feature ought to be scrapped. Kill it with fire! I am aware that image-heavy threads would take a long time to load for those on a slow connection and, although slow connections are not nearly as common as they once were, this should still be considered. A solution I would propose is the option to load images automatically or manually for each user, whether in forum preferences or at the head of each thread (the former would be preferable to the latter).

This solution would also lend itself reasonably well to the NSFW image content, as images would not necessarily be displayed automatically, thus giving the user a choice to load them or not, with the knowledge (perhaps from the thread title) that NSFW images exist within the thread.

Glen.

• I'm not sure where you live, but here you have 2 options for internet, slow, and even slower.

Dial up caps out at about 9600 baud, which is beyond slow.....
    There are no high speed land based options, cell phones don't even work here.
    High speed internet options, are not as common as people might think.
    I tried to get high speed installed here.
    They told me that if there are not 2500 potential customers per square mile, it isn't happening.

I have satellite internet, and a cloudy day drops that to dial up speed every time.
    On a clear day, it is very fast, and so far this year we have only had about 3 clear days....

We have looked into doing what you suggested thou, but there is more to it than simply adding it in.
    Everything has to support it on the server side, everything.
    That requires changes not only to the software, but the database as well.

• @Glen85 There is an option to view the forum posts cut into pages instead of the whole thread all at one time. This helps a lot and I don't have issues with forum images now.

• @ghostship That is how I have mine set up on slow days, which seems to be a lot lately.....

• I didn't know of that option, thank you for bringing that to my attention. That has helped, although it still loads images mid-scroll.

Well, I live in the UK. I wasn't aware that slow internet was still such a big issue for the majority of the developed world. Nevertheless, my solution would help with that too, as it goes. If a user is on a slow connection, they can choose to avoid loading images to facilitate faster page loading.

I understand that things like this take a lot to implement and, while I'm not an expert on the subject, I'm not ignorant to it entirely. I'm simply highlighting a problem and proposing a solution. :)

• @Glen85 I'm on high speed cable access, but I use Pagination as well. I also unchecked Delay Image Loading in the Browsing Settings. That way the images will already be loaded as you scroll down.

• @Glen85

Keep in mind that we have states over here, bigger than most countries in the UK. that's a lot of cable to run...

Your not the first person to bring this up, we do listen, honestly. :)

• @Miss-B I haven't found that one, where can I find that, please?

@shvrdavid Yes, the area is vast, I agree. I don't doubt for a minute that you listen. ;)

• @shvrdavid 9600 baud? I was doing better than that when I first joined Compuserve!

• @eclark1849

The majority of the phone lines around here have not been updated since about WWII.
    The closest Phone company building is a least 70 miles from here by wire, probably further.
    There is an old Verizon trunk line (phone, T1-100, etc) that ends about 2 miles from here.
    Great you might think...
    It isn't hooked to anything.... Never was, never will be either...
    Verizon sold off the whole state, phone wise. Because it didn't generate enough money....
    Everything but the trunk lines..... They are nothing more than a tax loss at this point...

People with cell phone tower access, usually don't even have a land line.
    And they keep removing towers.
    Strait Talk from Walmart, Metro, etc is cheaper than a land line as well.
    But they don't work real well without a tower..
    Towers don't work real well in mountains period. Not since they went all digital.

All the phone lines here are now owned by basically one company and they have no plans on upgrading unless the pay off is substantial, even if they get more government funds to do so. I got that right from them when I tried to get high speed internet here.... As far as they are concerned, there will never be high speed internet or decent phones unless you live in a city. 2500 links per square mile, or it isn't happening. And they prefer even more. Then they might fix it, but almost 30 years of static later....

If it rains heavy (and it does a lot here, lol), our phones have massive static, or they just don't work till it dries up.

All the money that the Feds gave to upgrade the lines here, high speed internet in rural areas, etc.
    Well, we still have old ones.... When they work...
    No idea where all that money went, obviously not where it was intended to go.
    It is no different in many states and basically the same in any area with a low population density...

• @Glen85 said in Forum Feedback - Stop Flicking About (Related to NSFW Imagery):

@Miss-B I haven't found that one, where can I find that, please?

It's on the Settings page. The Pagination Settings are the second set in the right-hand column, and the Browsing Settings are the third set in the left-hand column. It's the third checkbox you should uncheck to see if it helps with your viewing these forums.

Just click on your avatar in the upper right corner of the site, and choose the Settings link to get to that page.

• @shvrdavid Wow, that's actually quite depressing to read. :(

At least you do have access though, some people don't even have computers or cell phones so I suppose slow internet is better than no internet.

• @johndoe641 Just wait till they kill net neutrality here in the states. Surfing the web is going to be like dealing with the mob. "Oh, you want your little forum website to go faster?" %&*@ you, pay me!"

• Thanks to all, everything is running smoothly now. :)