Post your Poser workspace.

• @piersyf I've always found that scrolling through long lists of cameras is so tedious. However, reading what you said about cameras noot working with camera apps - is it possible taht dots only pick up the default cameras too?

• @morkonan said in Post your Poser workspace.:

I haven't even used the extended capabilities of the Library, like with collections/favorites and the like. Have been interested, but just haven't taken the time to explore them.

Yes, I'm the same. I feel like they could possibly help me, but then I'd have to be so organised about the way I use them that I might as well simply be that organised about my main libraries and cut out the intermediate step.

As the number of props I receive with scenes grows, I do feel that taking the time to add metadata to each item would help me immensely though.

• I don't know. The fact you can't label a dot makes it useless to me. One thing I wish Poser would do is push the shadow cameras to the bottom of the list so the added cameras are above them and easier to find in larger scenes. I asked for that several times now. Shadow cameras are another useless feature for me.

• @piersyf

I love to use shadow cams, in particular to position spots and area lights.

• @Y-Phil
    I use the 'point at' function for that. Auto corrects if I move the light then.

• @piersyf

I know this. The idea is not always to point to a specific area, but to look for an effect.

• Poser Ambassadors

UI dots: I will use one dot to establish a workspace with a modest document (scene preview) window and lots of palettes (keyframe, graph, hierarchy, etc) to build the scene.
    When ready to do a wallpaper render, I switch to a UI dot which has the biggest possible document window .
    I'll also have square aspect ratio dots for making thumbnail rasters.
    In the material room, I generally have a UI dot with a huge palette for the material nodework, and another dot with a larger document window for more detailed test renders.

Pose dots are handy for working up cyclical animation sequences (walk cycle, dance cycle, etc).

Netherworks' render dots make it easy to run a rough test render, adjust the scene, then switch dots to make a medium quality render, fine-tune the scene, then switch dots to do a final render.

Usually when I want to use camera dots (e.g., to re-establish a precise camera setup in a later timeline frame) I use Netherworks' camera dots.

• @seachnasaigh Never thought of using workspace dots. Ignored them when I was less competent and never got around to re-evaluating but your workflow makes great sense.
    I tend to use Pose dots when transferring poses between documents, or as a quick way back when testing scenes. But for me, camera dots are simply the super quick way to return to favoured camera locations without having to switch between cameras. Now that you can define keyboard shortcuts for all cameras this is less important.

• @matb said in Post your Poser workspace.:

As the number of props I receive with scenes grows, I do feel that taking the time to add metadata to each item would help me immensely though.

^--- This.

Like many users, I installed every freebie I could find when I first started fiddling with Poser. I've bought a bunch of stuff that I didn't need and made gigs of stuff for funsies that I don't even use. My management is terrible and if I put together a good character, instead of doing it "right", using injections/pose on a base mesh to reproduce it, I'll just save the whole character by itself. I do scenes the same way and often experiment on one, save it, and never return to finish it, but still won't delete it because... "some day."

My runtime is a bloated, 250+ gig monster. AND, that's just my runtime for Poser. I probably have equal that in other 3D resources, stuffs I haven't even used, yet, models I'm working on, "broken" projects that I meant to fix/finish, but haven't yet, texture resources that are in serious need of categorizing, blah, blah.

Yet, Smith Micro keeps giving me all these handy features so I can sit down and actually "organize" my runtime? PFAH! I can see my reaction now, for the next release:

"Smith Micro presents "Advanced Content Organizer" toolbox for Poser! Organize your runtime like never before! New "Customizable Everything" UI and Library Panel! Advanced heuristic keyword and logic operator search engine! Every asset can be user-tagged, categorized, stored in custom folders, organized not only by Project, but release candidate and edit-status versions! Never forget where your Poser assets are, again!"

... It'd be like throwing Holy Water on a Vampire. :)

• @morkonan Wow! My runtime folder is 83GB and I thought I had a lot of stuff.

• I just checked. My Poser runtimes and one folder of .obj's that I access in Poser came to 1.68TB. BTW, that includes saved scenes, so doesn't accurately reflect content.

• Just isolated scene files, left 458GB of content...

• @morkonan said in Post your Poser workspace.:

@matb said in Post your Poser workspace.:

My runtime is a bloated, 250+ gig monster. AND, that's just my runtime for Poser. I probably have equal that in other 3D resources, stuffs I haven't even used, yet, models I'm working on, "broken" projects that I meant to fix/finish, but haven't yet, texture resources that are in serious need of categorizing, blah, blah.

Have you been looking at my harddrive? granted, I only have 150 gig of content installed. I don't think I have another 100 waiting to be installed. But you never know.

If you add my scene files, that's another 1tb. Those add up quickly. It doesn't help when you have 4 or 5 gig scenes. Some day I'll have to delete my autosave files and incrementally saved files and just keep the final.

• My runtimes folder consist of "only" 180Gb...
    But I think that I almost cut in half my Poser 11 scenes folder, down to ~580Gb by removing the "old" backups Poser makes 15 minutes...

• @redphantom said in Post your Poser workspace.:

Have you been looking at my harddrive? granted, I only have 150 gig of content installed. I don't think I have another 100 waiting to be installed. But you never know.

If you add my scene files, that's another 1tb. Those add up quickly. It doesn't help when you have 4 or 5 gig scenes. Some day I'll have to delete my autosave files and incrementally saved files and just keep the final.

I am in awe. Your powers of inefficiency and lackadaisical attitude towards proper resource management far surpass my own! A terrabyte of bloated scene files? Oh, the inspiration! My hard-drive is is quaking in terror, given the newfound inspiration you have given me! :)

One thing I really, really, need to do is to organize my texture collection. I have a relatively small collection of sourced, license verified, textures and a huge number of... junk I downloaded from somewhere and have no idea what its provenance is. :( I need a solution, but it's going to involve manually going through everything and finding a way to create some sort of relational database to actually make hunting for the right textures something that isn't painful. As it is, I'm at the point where I probably should go ahead and get a good texture-generating package so I don't have to deal with it at all. :)

@Y-Phil said in Post your Poser workspace.:

My runtimes folder consist of "only" 180Gb...
    But I think that I almost cut in half my Poser 11 scenes folder, down to ~580Gb by removing the "old" backups Poser makes 15 minutes...

You know... you guys are making me feel much better about not having a hoard of old scene files hanging around on my drive. :) Thanks for making my Friday turn out just a little bit better. :) :D

• There's a reason why I have so many scenes in my runtimes aside from procrastination. Early on I have a hard drive issue and last several scenes. I had them rendered so I didn't worry much back then. But now with a better understanding of Poser, a better render engine (better for me at least) and all the new features, I wouldn't mind going back and re-doing those old images. But unless I want to rebuild then from scratch (fat chance), I can't.

Plus, I am going to go back and finish these scenes someday. I swear. As proof, I did finish one scene that was too much for my old computer once I got new hardware that could handle it.

Oh, and I did delete several hundred gig worth of scenes off my hard drive recently. Just before I added a new 3tb hard drive.

You're going to database your textures? I dump them all in a folder called commercial stuff. I usually unzip them into a subfolder named after the zip file name so the 150 readme.txt don't overwrite each other. Things usually come in coordinated sets that match and I'll probably never use together. When I'm texturing an outfit I browse through it all and copy (copy not move) anything I might use to a separate folder which gets deleted when I'm done.

• @ghostship

This could be you one day....

0_1484984062809_Runtimes.png

• @morkonan

Happy to know that yo're feeling better thanks to an illusion.
    I spoke of one folder, because it's the root of a subtree of gallery folders to keep everything organized., one for each Poser version.
    Same for the runtimes: they are organized by theme.
    Same for the 120G of files, either bought or found here and there.
    The textures folder included ;-)

• Present layout of Preview window etc:

0_1485004918732_PoserScene.jpg

• @A_Sunbeam Ooh, liking that scene. Futuristic!