Special effects questions

• I have a question about special effects such as rain, snow, fire, lightning etc. Are such effects available with Poser 11, or do you have to use a 3rd party program to create them. If such effects are available, where are the located? If not, how does one go about creating them?

• Poser Ambassadors

For rain and snow, my first thought would be use the movie node with sequentially numbered JPGs to animate a "billboard" prop. Particles 3+ would be another option.
    The water or snow on the ground could be created using a material modification. Snarly made a Snow Machine script to automate that, but I don't know offhand if it still works in P11.

For lightning, I would use the movie node on a billboard and add Lightpath ambient boost to make it cast light.

For fire, either a movie node with Lightpath ambient response boost, or use bagginsbill's procedural animated flames and add Lightpath ambient response boost. Particles 3+ would also do it.

For some of these effects, I have JPG sequences (sometimes 30 frame, sometimes 15 frame, etc). I can generate them to cycle at any number of frames. I use Genetica 4.0 Studio and sometimes GIF Animator 5 to make those JPG sets.
    0_1484807925719_Roxie_Ghostbuster_6.jpg

0_1484807952170_Ecto-Trap_slammed_shut.jpg

waterfall and stream ripples

stargate puddle

• There are loads of effects options. Netherworks' herofx is great for glows and smoke, weird weather is good for space effects and lightning, light and magic is good for magical stuff. You can buy nerds rain tool for animatable rain, or 38 storms real rain which is better but harder to use. Atmosphere does volumetric fog, nerd has a fog tool, whilst jepe has Steamz which is more smoke and steam sprays.

Animatable water tends to be on a set by set basis as a liquid sim add on for poser would be a major undertaking, but there are lots of ways to fake it, from animatable water plane maps, to 3D objects that can be moved around as splashes, sprays, etc. Flink does a great series of water shaders.

There's also a series at Runtime dna called atmospherics that covers rain and fog.

Daz has a snow tool, or you could go old school and post work snow to your still using Ron's Magical Snow photoshop brushes.

• Poser Ambassadors

There are some very handy tools for making a variety of effects in Poser by Nerd3D, currently sold at Hivewired3D. Tools for waterfalls, Smoke and Flames, Dust and Trails, Rain and Snow, and some others. I have used the Rain and Snow, and Dust and Trails a lot in projects and found them useful and invaluable.

• @kageryu I love those tools.

• @seachnasaigh Very nice effects.

• @seachnasaigh Can I just confirm, the waterfall/river was an animated video added in post?

• @matb I just "Viewed Image" and it's a GIF, so I would say no, it's not an animated video.

• @Miss-B said in Special effects questions:

@matb I just "Viewed Image" and it's a GIF, so I would say no, it's not an animated video.

Not quite sure what the pictures current file format has to do with the technique that seach used to insert the animation? he could have used several videos projected onto planes within the image when he rendered it, or he could have maksed the river area and added the water in premiere or photoshop in post production. Either of those would still enable him to save the end result in gif format.

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb said in Special effects questions:

@seachnasaigh Can I just confirm, the waterfall/river was an animated video added in post?

Nossir! alt text That's allllllll Poser! alt text I'm not good at post working; nor do I enjoy it, so I avoid it.

That's the way the little stream beside Eldar house renders (Firefly, P9/Pro2012+). The materials have automatically animated displacement and transparency. The animated materials are seamlessly looped, so you can render out as long of an animated scene as you like. Similarly, the biolumenescent lamps of the elvish cottage have animated flames (and cast light if rendered in Firefly with IDL engaged).
    Eldar house (also at ShareCG) was a P9/Pro2012 proof-of-concept project, using sequentially numbered JPEGs in the movie node to animate materials. Using JPEGs avoids any issue with AVI codecs.

The stargate puddle is also an automatically animated material and lightcaster, but for Superfly. It comes with the Atlantis gate room playset, available at R'osity and ShareCG. Atlantis was a P11 Superfly proof-of-concept model, showing it's lightcasting capability. I didn't even make Firefly materials for it.

• @seachnasaigh said in Special effects questions:

Nossir! alt text That's allllllll Poser! alt text I'm not good at post working; nor do I enjoy it, so I avoid it.

That's the way the little stream beside Eldar house renders (Firefly, P9/Pro2012+). The materials have automatically animated displacement and transparency. The animated materials are seamlessly looped, so you can render out as long of an animated scene as you like. Similarly, the biolumenescent lamps of the elvish cottage have animated flames (and cast light if rendered in Firefly with IDL engaged).
    Eldar house (also at ShareCG) was a P9/Pro2012 proof-of-concept project, using sequentially numbered JPEGs in the movie node to animate materials. Using JPEGs avoids any issue with AVI codecs.

The stargate puddle is also an automatically animated material and lightcaster, but for Superfly. It comes with the Atlantis gate room playset, available at R'osity and ShareCG. Atlantis was a P11 Superfly proof-of-concept model, showing it's lightcasting capability. I didn't even make Firefly materials for it.

Thanks for the description of your workflow Seach. I like the way the Stargate "puddle" is animated, and when I "viewed" the image as being a GIF, I assumed that's how you made it. Didn't realize you could do all of that within Poser itself.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B said in Special effects questions:

Didn't realize you could do all of that within Poser itself.

The Ghostbuster proton packs use sequentially numbered JPEGs in the movie node to animate the lightning and plasma in the proton beam, and to animate the power meters and targeting display. The LEDs (some strobe, some pulse) are animated using only math nodes and procedurals.

Stuff I made prior to P9/Pro2012 SR3.2 often used a matrix in an image map node, manipulated by math nodes to work like a flip book.

There are a lot of effects which can be done in Poser, rather than post-working them.
    alt text

alt text

TinkerBell's school for fish is P7/PoserPro vintage...

• @seachnasaigh said in Special effects questions:

@matb said in Special effects questions:

@seachnasaigh Can I just confirm, the waterfall/river was an animated video added in post?

Nossir! alt text That's allllllll Poser! alt text

Well that's damned impressive then! I could manage the stream easily enough, but working out the displacement for the waterfall may be beyond me!

Bravo!