Poser animation: am I missing something?

• guys, for years I've been planning on making a videoclip of girls rocking it to some serious heavy metal, with hair flying, thighs trembling under the double-bass action, sex faces when running Mustaine-riffs on Jackson guitars, but for that I was hoping to use Poser's animation layers. Repeating motions that have variations over time, etc etc...

... and almost needless to say I was heartbroken when I started experimenting with them. Is it me or is pasting keyframes in animation layers asking for trouble? and is collapsing layers asking for even more trouble? Or is all this tech reserved for Poser figures, because guys I cannot get it to work / behave / function like I need it to with PE / V4 / M4. It basically just sucks. I thought Poser's animation tools were second to none. What am I doing wrong? I need this tech badly. Is there like a tutorial about this somewhere?

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis
    Try to get in touch with this guy.

He has a site www.auroratrek.com

• Poser Ambassadors

From his site:
    My main tools are Smith Micro's Poser , Maxon Cinema 4D, and NaturalPoint Optitrack motion capture system. Kuroyume's Interposer Pro is instrumental in importing Daz/Poser content into Cinema 4D. In any case, my basic workflow for animating characters (Daz V4 and M4) is:

1. Record voice using a decent microphone (M-Audio Nova mic, Mobile Pre preamp, Apple Soundtrack)
    2. Record motion capture movements with Optitrack motion capture system.
    3. Import mocap data into Daz Studio via Arena plugin; export bvh.
    4. Import bvh file into Poser; edit/refine animation, add hand movements.
    5. Create mouth moves in Daz Mimic
    6. Apply Mimic file to character in Poser; save pose
    7. Apply pose to character in Cinema 4D environment and render to TIFF files
    8. Create .mov file from TIFFs (using Quicktime Pro)
    9. Import .mov file into Apple Final Cut Pro, edit into animation
    10. Add voice file/sound effects
      Other programs used: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator.
      There are a number of software/hardware quirks and workarounds necessary throughout the process, but that's the basics. (Note that this is my current workflow: Parts 1, 2 and 3 were animated largely by hand.)

• The latest update fixes a problem with the collapse function. Before the fix the frame before was added into the current frame. So if you had a sine wave going from 0 to 1 the collapse would just keeping adding values so at the end you would be up a large distance. See image.
    0_1484882666741_BaseLayerYcoll.png
    There are still a couple of other issues that I need to bring up again since it behaves differently from PP2102 which is the one I really like.

• @vilters said in Poser animation: am I missing something?:

@erogenesis
    Try to get in touch with this guy.

He has a site www.auroratrek.com

wow those movies are actually really cool! Very posery but still bloody good effort by that guy! Must have been a TONNE of work.

@vilters said in Poser animation: am I missing something?:

From his site:
    My main tools are Smith Micro's Poser , Maxon Cinema 4D, and NaturalPoint Optitrack motion capture system. Kuroyume's Interposer Pro is instrumental in importing Daz/Poser content into Cinema 4D. In any case, my basic workflow for animating characters (Daz V4 and M4) is:

1. Record voice using a decent microphone (M-Audio Nova mic, Mobile Pre preamp, Apple Soundtrack)
    2. Record motion capture movements with Optitrack motion capture system.
    3. Import mocap data into Daz Studio via Arena plugin; export bvh.
    4. Import bvh file into Poser; edit/refine animation, add hand movements.
    5. Create mouth moves in Daz Mimic
    6. Apply Mimic file to character in Poser; save pose
    7. Apply pose to character in Cinema 4D environment and render to TIFF files
    8. Create .mov file from TIFFs (using Quicktime Pro)
    9. Import .mov file into Apple Final Cut Pro, edit into animation
    10. Add voice file/sound effects
      Other programs used: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator.
      There are a number of software/hardware quirks and workarounds necessary throughout the process, but that's the basics. (Note that this is my current workflow: Parts 1, 2 and 3 were animated largely by hand.)

Kuroyume's Interposer Pro, I was thinking of buying it. You recommend it then?

I think I can get by with just the base animation layer, but its just a flipping shame that working with additional layers is... you guessed it... so problematic. I did manage to get ti to behave but you have to be so careful and save your scene every step of the way. I used the kinect mocap thing to isolate some natural movements of the arms and hips etc, and it did fairly ok, but I needed to be very smart about isolating the relevant keyframes. Just a basic collapse did totally weird things, and copy-pasting sometimes resulted in overscaled figures and extra keyframes that had nothing to do with the scene... and the worst part: totaly not undoable. but anyway if I kept the keyframes simple and collapsed only the relevant bodyparts, it seemed to work. But this doesn't work in a scene with more keyframes beyond the animation layer's range. Its almost as if nobody uses this stuff...

thanks for your tips btw!!

@richard60 said in Poser animation: am I missing something?:

The latest update fixes a problem with the collapse function. Before the fix the frame before was added into the current frame. So if you had a sine wave going from 0 to 1 the collapse would just keeping adding values so at the end you would be up a large distance. See image.
    0_1484882666741_BaseLayerYcoll.png
    There are still a couple of other issues that I need to bring up again since it behaves differently from PP2102 which is the one I really like.

yeah that might explain some issues I've been having. I just wish they would do an SR for P10. All their efforts go into P11.

• @erogenesis I'm actually looking into using iclone. I'm not sure that the genital morphs will transfer over though via the conversion process. If they did It will be on like donkey kong!