Poser figures spotted...

• I was searching for references for a UK police interview room, and found this:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/police-interrogation1.htm

The bad guy is played by Poser 7 Simon (is it just me, or does he look naturally thuggish?), and the detectives are Poser 6 James. I'm guessing the room is a Poser prop too, although I don't recognise it.

As above, most of the available stuff - both references and props - are based on US practice. In particular, I was looking for a model of an interview recorder; if nobody knows of a source, I'll have to make one. They look simple enough...

• @englishbob With all the focus on SubD, SSS, Environment Domes, improved bending, and pointy elbows, seems like you could make a quick buck with the included figures and props and a medium quality render. I posted some workout images I'd found using default figures and simple animation on one of the forums recently. I wonder how large a user base Poser has for these kind of infographic, non-gallery quality images?

• @dcrosby said in Poser figures spotted...:
    ... I wonder how large a user base Poser has for these kind of infographic, non-gallery quality images?

It's a focus point, for sure. I spot Poser-generated, generic base figures, fairly regularly. I'd assume most of this sort of use is esoteric and doesn't make it far outside of "local" use. Poser provides a very easy to use, very quick, way to place human figures in an environment, pose and animate them however one wishes. It renders very quickly and doesn't require much material/3D lighting knowledge to produce decent quality images.

Most things I spot generally stick to generic base characters and their included assets. So, the people using them appear to be only interested in the most basic capabilities and don't have the time/money/skill/inclination to alter them. For instance, I haven't seen one instance of base characters used in examples like the above that have ever had any texture replacement done on their clothes. For instance, when I see "Simon", he's always dressed in his generic garb.

• @dcrosby Most of the Poser figures I see outside the hobbyist communities are stock figures with only minimal modification - they're used to convey information, rather than be artistic. The automated checkout at my local supermarket used Posette to illustrate how to use it. There's a lot of use in forensics visualisation, I understand, again using the base figures because that's all that's needed.

When I go to the dentist or the vet there are informative clips playing in the waiting room, usually crudely rendered CGI - in this case, not Poser as far as I've seen, but it underlines the size of the market for this kind of budget graphic work.

• @englishbob said in Poser figures spotted...:

When I go to the dentist or the vet there are informative clips playing in the waiting room, usually crudely rendered CGI - in this case, not Poser as far as I've seen, but it underlines the size of the market for this kind of budget graphic work.

Absolutely. Simple illustration with human figures appears to be the most recognizable use, at least by us, for Poser in the general market. I've seen similar examples as you describe. For a long-time Poser user, they're fairly easy to spot.

IIRC, I once saw a "hand" asset being used in a grocery-store automated checkout info-animation sequence. I'm sure I've seen plenty, over the years, but the novelty of seeing Poser used "in the wild" sort of wore off, and I don't often find it as remarkable.

One thing worth noting - A lot of these seem to use free/stock 3D objects used in other 3D programs. IOW, they're not generating their own assets, but just using open-source assets available on architectural/other sites, either really cheap or free.

Why is it worth noting? Well, an artist or even Smith Micro, themselves, could improve engine appeal by including more, easily made, 3D prop/figure assets targeted towards these sorts of users. For instance, I did a quick search for a standard wire-based shopping cart included in the base assets for Poser. I couldn't find one. (Is there one?) What about a cash register? A grocery store check-out conveyor belt thingie? A check-out counter? Cash machine? Aerosol can? Paint can/brush? Wheelchair? Checkbook? Credit Card? etc..

Increasing a product's appeal must include using one's knowledge of the product's use in the marketplace and making the product more attractive for potential users. :) While many of these sorts of products are out there, either for free or paid use, bundling them within the Poser package, itself, would be a smart thing.

I have never, ever, ever, seen any of the Poser-included, generic, sci-fi/fantasy/fictional products being used by anyone who fits the "industrial/commercial" user-base. Why? Because, the people who would use that sort of content in renders are likely using other, more targeted, assets or making/buying more interesting ones. (ie: They're not, necessarily, "playing with" these assets in any other way other than loading them up, once, just to see them, and then moving on.) Sure, they're neat to have, but they are not, themselves, pushing anyone's purchase decision. But, if there were more included assets that industrial/commercial users might desire, for convenience, then the "for convenience and ease of use" purchaser would be more inclined to... purchase Poser.

Sorry for the length of the reply, it's just one of those little aggravating things I sometimes dwell on. I want SM to succeed, so I find the lack of such inclusions a bit frustrating, though I'm sure they don't have an unlimited budget to address such deficiencies and I'm sure they do wish to draw purchases for extra assets.

• @morkonan I think that's a good point about the assets. Though considering the various subjects an infographic or industrial graphic might depict, it may be hard to satisfy. When I look through the included Poser stuff I never see enough from one genre to complete a scene, so I tend not to look. I wonder if a generous gift certificate to Content Paradise might be more valuable as far as included content.

• @dcrosby said in Poser figures spotted...:

@morkonan I think that's a good point about the assets. Though considering the various subjects an infographic or industrial graphic might depict, it may be hard to satisfy. When I look through the included Poser stuff I never see enough from one genre to complete a scene, so I tend not to look. I wonder if a generous gift certificate to Content Paradise might be more valuable as far as included content.

Hmm, a gift cert or credit might be an interesting approach, but only if it was broadly appealing and if the desired assets were there. (Good idea, though!) SOooo... A list of SM-produced asset packs to choose from would be nice. For instance, a new purchaser could choose from an assortment of targeted asset themes. This would also allow users to purchase these, separately. For instance: Commercial Check-out (cash register, que, display rack, conveyor, cash/credit-card, uniform), Medical Office, Police office, Emergency Responder pack (EMS/Fire), School pack, day-care pack, banking pack, etc...

Each pack could have a few fairly easy to produce assets, be available on the open market individually, but the purchaser gets a credit towards one targeted asset list to compliment what's already included in Poser, which will encourage them to visit the store to redeem it and, perhaps, to purchase similar asset packs for convenience.

• If you fly American Airlines - the Poser figures are used in the safety cards.

• Poser figures are used extensively in UK school posters, and also in fitness type posters where clarity of profile is far more important than photorealism and range of materials.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.