Too many pages is a bad thing?

• Is there a limit to how many pages you can put into a story? I've got 160 plus and now finding that I can no longer open the story .cmc files. I might initially get a box showing the pages loading and then it stops midway without finishing. I try opening it again, but I this time, I don't get any box nor prompt at all.

I'm using the most recent macbook pro 2016 touch bar, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Please help.

• Sorry no one has responded, and I have no idea about the page limit. But 160 does sound excessive. What size and reselution are you working with for each page? What is the file size? I would think CSP can only render so many pages in the story preview, but again, I really don't know.
    You can open individual pages though, correct? Just not the story mode?

• Thank you for responding. Pages are around 350 dpi resolution at 21MB each. I can open individual page, but it does get confusing since I've been moving pages around in story so as a result, the name of some of the pages do not correspond with the page number order. I guess I need to break the story into two separate files when doing my final organizing layouts. If anyone else has any experience, let me know. Thanks for responding!!

• I haven't used the story editor much but I can tell you from work in the traditional print domain that over 128 pages is excessive for a batch. Due to the constraints of binding and imposition larger print jobs are usually broken down into smaller sections (e.g. 16 page chunks) which are printed and bound before being piled up together and glued to produce a book format.

This is due to paper constraints - fat chunks bulge out like newspapers and don't lie flat like a book - and the limits of how many pages can be output reliably at once by web presses for folding. Calibration and registration is performed separately for each chunk, so there may be slight discrepancies in the printing between each section. Experienced artists figure out their print format ahead of time and try to arrange their work around these constraints - e.g. You might choose a diffferent spot color for pages 1-16 and 17-32 but avoid a double page spread on pages 16-17.

I mention this simply because clipstudio comes from a print background and may act funny with very large documents - they are not native formats for print media. Of course that doesn't help you if you are producing ebooks, but I digress.

You may be able to fix your comic by reimporting the pages into a new story file, but if you are going to that effort it may be worth splitting it up into more manageable chunks (8,16,32,64,128 pages ideally, but any even number will do.) All the printer needs to see is a sequence of identically formatted files consistently numbered so they can dump it in their page layout software to create an imposition (print job designed for their hardware.)

• Currently working on a Graphic Novel that's about 70+ pages. Each page is 7.25 by 10.75 pages (using bleed) and at 600dpi and will be exported at 300 dpi because that's how I roll*.

haven't had any issue with my CMC (story) file opening up.

Just opened up a 136 page (Standard American comic page size @600dpi) story and although it, not surprisingly, took a bit of time to open, it did open and all pages are present. Maybe the CMC (story) file is corrupt or some such, or maybe a page is corrupt and borking the CMC from opening.

So I would create a new CMC file with 1 page and then import the pages from the misbehaving CMC Story file one by one. If a page is giving you issues when you import it, then try to open that particular page. If you can't, then make a note of it's name. Create a new file with that name (and page size, etc) and replace the misbehaving file with that. The CMC file seems to only keep track of file name and location in the story and not the file's content. (you may want to make a copy of the original file and put it in a separate folder for the time being, to see if it can salvaged). Once replaced, see if you can open the Original CMC file. If all goes well, you just need to make a back up of the story folder from your desktop (Finder or Explorer) and then try to salvage what you can from the misbehaving file or just recreate it.

If the Original CMC file won't open, then continue with importing the original page files into the new CMC file and see if there's another misbehaving file. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

If in the end, you have all your original pages imported into the New CMC file and the original won't work, you should have a new Story file you can work from. Zip up the original Story and page files and delete the unzipped files if you want.

I see the need to keep all the pages for a GN together just for continuity purposes (like what did character A's room look like, for example). However, if one does reference sheets for characters and locales/sets and saves that as a separate Story file one could have two story files open and then able to look at them as reference (and make changes if need be) or just export the reference sheets and view them in the Subview palette for reference. Then breaking down the story into parts would be very doable.

And you can make sure that the page numbering is consistent by going into the Story menu and choosing the Change Basic work settings option. In the dialog that appears, in the Folio section you can set the Start Number to be the next page number from the previous part. That way your page numbers when you export will be consistent, as long as you don't add any pages to the previous part and forgot to change this setting.

This is a good reason to make backups of things. But that advice always comes after the disaster...

~~--- ~~
    *I do art at 600 dpi/ppi so that I have some flexibility in printing out like oversized pages or such. As The resolution of Tablets begin to exceed print, I want to be able to do "Immersive Panel Viewing" without worrying about the art getting all stair-steppy, iykwim.

• @cartoonMike Thank you so much for this detailed response. I willl update this post shortly (finishing off page 181 as we speak). Your comment is very helpful and detailed. Thank you again!!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.