Progress on SuperFly AMD GPU Support?

• Hi Smith Micro, any can you give us an update for AMD GPU support with the Poser SuperFly renderer?

• Yes please, also!

• It's best to see what goes on in the world of Blender/Cycles because they will probably get this functionality before we do if at all. A quick scan of the internet tells me that there have been a few folks waiting for this since about 2013.

• "It's best to see what goes on in the world of Blender/Cycles because they will probably get this functionality before we do if at all. A quick scan of the internet tells me that there have been a few folks waiting for this since about 2013."
    The Blender organization is not profit funded/incentivized to get it done. Also we need the specific Poser API and materials optimized for it.

• I was really hoping to see some progress on this myself. :(

But,,, I realize that Nvidia has a near-monopoly in the video card world. And I also understand that this is all dependent on the integration of someone else's software.

From SM's business perspective spending time making Superfly AMD-compatible most likely isn't the best utilization of their R&D money and effort. I totally get it. Take the easiest road with the greatest return. Why not? Makes sense to me... even if it does leave out everyone working on a modern Mac that doesn't have a swappable video card (e.g. Mac Pro). :-/

However, I have lived without GPU rendering in my Mac for over a year now, and I really love Superfly. So while AMD-compatible GPU rendering would be fantastic, and I hope it will happen someday soon, I can still work without it.

• @James_in_3D

Well, technically those Mac Pros aren't considered "Modern Macs" by Mr. Cook and Sir Idiot Boy. The 4,1 series is now considered "vintage" and the 5,1 will be falling in that category soon.

• @ssgbryan I was thinking only of the new cylindrical Mac Pro (6,1).

• @James_in_3D

Those don't have swappable video cards. And they aren't new - Intel has already EoL'ed two of the three processors than it uses.

• @ssgbryan Yup, you're right. My bad. They aren't swappable. They are merely "configurable". Perhaps I should have used the term "newer". Or "newest". Rather than just "new". They're newer than the previous version. 2013 was a long time ago, after all.

This is getting off track from the OP's original post.

• @James_in_3D

Depends - have you seen what AMD is scheduled to deliver in the next 6 months? They appear to have finally gotten their act together wrt video cards. If they show up in a new iCan, that would mean better support for Superfly on the OSX side of the house.

• @dreamcutter @James_in_3D @ssgbryan

In theory this should be possible as Blender Cycles already supports most of the Cycles API, I think there are few things which doesn't work with AMD GPU or OpenCL I would say rather

Second option is contact AMD and get new renderer from them ProRender which is pretty great renderer, I'm using this renderer in 3DS Max mostly, this renderer is free

OpenCL is already supported by larger portions of CPU and GPU and OpenCL on Nvidia or newer Nvidia 9xx series onwards have good performance and in many cases is better/faster than AMD, AMD support OpenCL 2.0 which Nvidia refuses to use and Intel HD GPU supports too OpenCL 2.0

I just think SM should ask AMD and work on bloody OpenCL implementation or work on CUDA compiler with them

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11 Hi Jura - I remember you posted about this renderer in another thread last year. I'm happy to be reminded that there is an existing option for AMD users out there...even if we can't use it (yet).

I am curious to know why it isn't being implemented by SM. I thought I'd read that the devs had attended a conference or presentation regarding Prorender and that SM is aware of AMD's plans.

There must be some barrier involving development cost or difficulty with programming...?

Or maybe SM does plan to use it in a future version of Poser. Just not yet, and not PP11.

• @James_in_3D

OpenCL isn't supported much anymore - Apple has dropped it & the the reality is that in GPU computing world - the world runs on CUDA.

• @ssgbryan said in Progress on SuperFly AMD GPU Support?:

@James_in_3D

OpenCL isn't supported much anymore - Apple has dropped it & the the reality is that in GPU computing world - the world runs on CUDA.

Come on, you are probably joking?

CUDA on OSX,did you tried to run new Pascal on OSX, there is no driver or kext for that card

Have look FXP using only OpenCL and this app is made by Apple

Like is C4D do will have or be using AMD ProRender plus many more SW do use that

AMD will be using and using in current stage only AMD cards

Regarding their performance, new RX series are pretty much awesome cards, have run on my Hackintosh RX480 for few days..

Apple didn't dropped OpenCL they want to use Metal but Metal is not the best in the compute, I would say rather poor and just wish they rather started to look at DirectX

Few years back well this has been bit different

Hopefully Octane will support AMD GPU in coming update as I'm sick and tired of Nvidia overpriced GPU

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11 Nvidia cards are overpriced right now because of the criminals using them to churn out bitcoins. If AMD puts out a card that is as fast or faster and cheaper you would think the bitcoin idiots would start using those and drive the prices up and it still would not matter which card you bought.

• @James_in_3D said in Progress on SuperFly AMD GPU Support?:

@jura11 Hi Jura - I remember you posted about this renderer in another thread last year. I'm happy to be reminded that there is an existing option for AMD users out there...even if we can't use it (yet).

I am curious to know why it isn't being implemented by SM. I thought I'd read that the devs had attended a conference or presentation regarding Prorender and that SM is aware of AMD's plans.

There must be some barrier involving development cost or difficulty with programming...?

Or maybe SM does plan to use it in a future version of Poser. Just not yet, and not PP11.

Hi there

Agree there is option for AMD users, just I wish SM will grab and speak with AMD about that

I'm pretty sure C4D will have in R18 or R19 this renderer plus Revit, Solidworks and many others

Cost of development not sure and our company has started to develop OpenCL renderer in past which has been bought by other company and then they stopped development..

Not sure if we will see this renderer in future but if yes then I will be very happy

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @ghostship

Hi there

For bitcoin mining best are AMD cards what I know, have friends which have several rigs with AMD cards and I compared my cards against my AMD R9 390x which is using my girlfriend and R9 390x has been better in bitcoin mining

Bitcoin mining on Nvidia is possible but you will have poorer hash rate

Nvidia prices are down to no competition from AMD and new GPU from AMD like Vega, Na.vi will or should bring competition to Nvidia, as right now we are pay price for monopoly and dominant share on market of Nvidia, same this applies to Intel and their extortion prices for their top tier CPU

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11

No, I am not joking. Apple hasn't updated their OpenCL implementation for years, and Metal simply isn't there yet - doesn't mean it won't be, but right now, in 2017, the advantages of Metal are theoretical.

Apple will never go DirectX - we have 30 years of what happens when a competitor tries to integrate any MicroSoft tech into their ecosystem. See IBM's travails with Win32s as a textbook example - and they owned the rights to the code (since they paid for it's development).

OTOH, I am not holding out a lot of hope - too many people at Apple are going out the door and the software development teams have been a mess since Sir Idiot Boy was put in charge of them.

IF (and that is a might big if) there is a new iCan, I expect the new series of AMD video cards to be in them - downclocked of course, to meet the thermal limitations of the piss poor design.

If it shows up, then I'll put a real one in my 4,1 box (we'll have drivers). The wattage requirements for the 470 & 480 are much better than Nvidia, for what we can actually power in a real Mac Pro.

The reality is CUDA is pretty entrenched and AMD's implementation of GPU computing isn't.

• I think to make bitcoin mining profitable post 2016 you need free or heavily subsidized electricity. Ref: 99bitcoins.com/bitcoin-mining-profitable-beginners-explanation/ (The url appears safe according to bit defender, I just did not want to pimp the site with a link from this great new SMI forum.)