PP2014 TerraDome 2 Lightning

• Poser Ambassadors

Oooops! I read the post, but missed the Pro2014 reference right in the thread title!
    I can make the lightning billboards work in Firefly (P9/Pro2012+). Must render with IDL engaged and at pretty high settings for irradiance cache and IDL quality, so expect long render times.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's a P9/Pro2012 Firefly IDL render using the same lightcasting billboard technique - the "Palace Theatre" sign. You can see that it definitely casts light onto the stone wall behind it.
    0_1485786721937_Tink's Cafe' - Superfly test 02 Palace Theatre.jpg

• Thanks for the replies, folks.

I have the Ride the Lightning product, but I'm really after a gigantic effect which is blindingly bright. I can't find a really decent example image, so maybe I'm just dreaming of it being a bigger effect than it really could be, I don't know.

• @seachnasaigh Are you sure that is a Firefly render? The grain is a giveaway.

• Poser Ambassadors

Ack! You're right! I did renders with both engines. Firefly, IDL:
    0_1485821270827_PalaceTheatre2014-IDLtest1200x750.jpg

Mods: Please add correction to or delete my post three posts up with the Superfly render of Palace Theatre.

• Poser Ambassadors

Animated lightning demo, using sequential JPEGs in the movie node (Superfly animation). I can make this work for P9/Pro2012 and later Firefly, but you'll need to render with IDL engaged and at high irradiance cache and IDL quality settings (=>67% each), so expect long render times.
    lightning animation

I had to compress the GIF down to 80% dither and 21% lossiness.

If you want to see it at rendered size (1200x750), I made a 95% compression ShockWaveFlash. It's 8.20MB, though. Superfly lightcasting lightning animation.

I'll post a still shortly. It will take a while for me to extract the billboard geometry and package the lightning props (in both P9/Pro2012+ Firefly and Superfly versions).

• Poser Ambassadors

Frame 001 of that animation...
    0_1485832262150_Lightning enviro Sfly f001.jpg

render settings...
    0_1485832998741_Lightning enviro Sfly f001 render settings.PNG

Mistakes I made on render settings because I was in a hurry:

• "sample all lights direct" I normally have ticked - but no Poser lights in the scene, so probably not harmful

• Subsurface samples - waste of render time; no SSS materials

• volume samples - waste of render time; no volumetric materials

• volume bounces - waste of render time; no volumetric materials

• diffuse bounces - should have given it 4 bounces to improve the lightcasting

What's relevant is

• pixel samples = 30

• mesh light samples = 30

• @seachnasaigh Interesting proof opf concept. Projected onto a plane?

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb said in PP2014 TerraDome 2 Lightning:

Projected onto a plane?

Yes, that's what I mean by "billboard". A simple flat square in this case, with the lightning JPEGs controlling the transparency.
    I used three billboards side by side, with the frame number for each billboard staggered by ten frames.
    So in scene frame 001, billboard A shows JPEG 001, billboard B shows JPEG 011, and billboard C shows JPEG 021.

• @seachnasaigh Most illuminating. <Bond villain mode OFF>

• Some interesting results here, thank you folks! :)