RDNA Forums are gone. :(

• @eclark1849 ha yeah they're really bad at that. The forum "improvements" were some of the most amateur and terrible "attempts" I've ever seen. Those "Engineers" shouldn't have been paid a dime with the crap they gave us.

They sell a lot of good stuff though and I have a lot of money spent there, so I really hope they aren't going anywhere soon.

• @eclark1849 said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@johndoe641 I've always found Rendo's main problem to be Rendo. It doesn't help that Rendo (not the moderators) doesn't seem to listen to what people tell it.

Personally, I don't care much about the forum improvements. I don't expect great community communication projects from them. A standard forum is all that is needed, despite some who clamor for more.

But, what I do care very much about is the health of such communities, so I have to balance out my cynicism. :) In the same vein, I also care very much about the reseller, since competition and a large market benefit everyone.

There is little in the way of quality control or good stewardship over their shelves, though. I have seen things there I wouldn't download for free. I've even bought them, learning my mistakes quickly, luckily. And... they don't appear to have any product information format, no guidelines that are observed, no commonly acceptable standards in those regards... none. Remember - This was one place that used to insist on an "example" render in something like P6 or something... Why? So "Do Art" button-mashers could see what no particular knowledge or artistic skill could achieve with a product. Yeah... not exactly an intelligent marketing approach, that's for sure. (I'm all for truth, it's just that presenting it doesn't have to focus on the least-common denominator, or that's the only ones who will ever respond to it.)

Love the place, they have a very nice, broad, product selection and have things that nobody else does. So, I think they can be fairly healthy. I just wish they would clean up a few things to make their success more assured.

• @morkonan Forums aside, I have plenty of issues with Rendo's marketplace. They LOVE to give out coupons, but there's always some weirdness attached to it. For instance, lately they're giving out Prime coupons to Prime members. Fine, but the people you should be giving it out to are people who aren't Prime members to get them to join. And I can never find anything in their store, and if you do you have to check to make sure it's not an add-on product instead of the real product. They've caught me several times like that already.

• I used to buy from Rendo, but my last 2 lots of purchases seemed to lead to my credit card details being stolen (and used in US stores... I live in Australia). I have no PROOF that it happens through Rendo store management, only that the 2 times it has happened have been with 2 weeks of a purchase at Rendo. No other common link. Consequently, useful or not, I am very reluctant to support those vendors.

• @piersyf said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

I used to buy from Rendo, but my last 2 lots of purchases seemed to lead to my credit card details being stolen (and used in US stores... I live in Australia). I have no PROOF that it happens through Rendo store management, only that the 2 times it has happened have been with 2 weeks of a purchase at Rendo. No other common link. Consequently, useful or not, I am very reluctant to support those vendors.

I remember when that whole debacle happened with the stolen credit cards. It was over a year before I even thought about buying something from rendo again. But then I discovered that I could simply use my cc through Paypal and my cc numbers would never be reveled on purchase. Now though, I simply put money into my Paypal account and just pay with that and I never even touch my cc's for 3d purchases on any site.

• @morkonan That's my complaint, as well. Their QA is simply non-existent.

Folks correctly complain that CP has no QA, but they never claimed to have any such thing. Renderosity, on the other hand, claims to have QA and brags about it.

Between the credit card hacks, the flood of DS only products, and the low quality of most of the products, I got tired of trying to find the few nuggets of good stuff.

I just don't shop at Renderosity anymore and haven't for some time.

• Poser Ambassadors

My only issue with selling and then deleting forums is that all the info gets lost.

There are guys like BB, myself and others that posted a TON of information in RDNA forums to help all end users and then without respect for anybody or anything, all gets sold out to the competition to get wiped out in the end.

To the (ex) RDNA managers:

Respect is something you do not get for free.
    Respect is something one has to earn, each and every day, over and over again.

Wiping out all information removed the last grain of respect that was left.
    They can plant gold bars in my garden, but the respect is gone.

• @vilters But we all know this happens over and over.

If you have posted all this valuable information and not bothered to copy it and put it in a SAFE place, that's on you.

I had some tutorials over there that I put into a PDF document and made available elsewhere, because I knew the RDNA forums would disappear eventually. We all did.

• Poser Ambassadors

@jura11 This is simply not true. RDNA never forbid any vendors to create for DS. Why AS move to DAZ is simple. They had in this case access to to the HD tools for their clothes. And when you use those tools, you can not upload somewhere else this product. AS never published in more than 1 shop. So they decide to move their store .
    They don't want to create anymore for V4 and in Poser because how they stated one time in the forums, it was at last for them a pain in the butt and they find Genesis very easy to work with.

• @vilters said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

My only issue with selling and then deleting forums is that all the info gets lost.

There are guys like BB, myself and others that posted a TON of information in RDNA forums to help all end users and then without respect for anybody or anything, all gets sold out to the competition to get wiped out in the end.

Coincidentally, Tony, the post I looked for on the Wayback Machine was one of yours, on "Creating a Complete Poser Family from a Single Figure" using Match Centers to Morph. For the moment it is still available on Google's cache, but is without the images and the tutorial video, and the text is black on dark grey, so it's sadly not terribly useful now....

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:j_jRKbgmYPsJ:forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php%3F102411-Creating-a-Complete-Poser-family-from-a-single-figure-in-Poser-11-Pro&num=1&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1&vwsrc=0

• Guys, lets not worry about the past. Simply because all of us know, there is nothing we can do about it.
    Yes forums simply disappearing has happened before, most of us know that. The reasons why, are irrelevant, because the forum is already gone.
    Pointing out reasons for this and reasons for that are not really doing anything.

In the end, it isn't about why they did it and what happened as a result.
    It's, what are we going to do about it for the community?

Food for thought.

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid One problem Scott, the Poser users are all over distributed now. In little groups. Very hard to reach all.
    Some on FB, some in other Forums or communities. This is absolute a huge problem because I have the feeling many seems lost and don't know if they should continue with Poser. I try to assist on FB where ever I can, but it is time consuming to go from one site to the next and look out for user who need help.
    I hear from a few that this site here they don't like so much. To unpersonal , no real Gallery and way to much technical stuff which did not interest them.

• Everyone said the same thing years ago as well Ladonna, and look what happened.

People search the internet all the time looking for Tutorials, write ups, etc.
    If the information is here, people will come here.

• @Ladonna Well, I blame SM for any Poser users migrating to Facebook. Personally, I don't see what the big attraction with FB and Twitter is, but hey, I'm old anyway and in another 20 or 30 years I'll be dead.

But SM will feature special coupons, promos and information on FB and they're silent here in their own forum.

• Poser Ambassadors

"Not on SnapFace, not too worried what they put on InstaChat." -- Bill Belichick

I'm the same.

• @Ladonna said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@jura11 This is simply not true. RDNA never forbid any vendors to create for DS. Why AS move to DAZ is simple. They had in this case access to to the HD tools for their clothes. And when you use those tools, you can not upload somewhere else this product. AS never published in more than 1 shop. So they decide to move their store .
    They don't want to create anymore for V4 and in Poser because how they stated one time in the forums, it was at last for them a pain in the butt and they find Genesis very easy to work with.

@Ladonna

I never claimed RDNA has forbid vendors create for DS

This I didn't know with Aery Soul(Stonemason is my second) which is my all time favourite vendor, bought several things from them/him and when they moved to Genesis I have been disappointed with their decision, but I understand as they need to make money

Many people/vendors hate to create in Poser or for Poser

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @eclark1849 I'm on FB but I don't think it's good for forum discussion. Half the posts would be taken down for nudity any way.

• Personally I don't see a problem with businesses wanting to extend their presence on various platforms. What I take umbrage at is them offering things on one platform and not others. SM are certainly not the first or only company doing that, but it makes no sense to divide your audience/market.

• @Glitterati3D said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@morkonan That's my complaint, as well. Their QA is simply non-existent.... I just don't shop at Renderosity anymore and haven't for some time.

Shop it! Except, don't shop simply because it's the store you like, shop it for the producers that you have come to know as makers of quality products. That's what I do - I no longer care about "where" I shop, I only care about the creators and their known skill at creating products I might like.

Rendo is fine. They are defensive, 'tis true, and.. I'm not going to say anything else on that matter. However, disregard the "url" and keep an eye on the artists and their products. Feel free to skip a product with the world's crappiest render or yet another "I did teh photoshop on dis an u should buy it teh" product. Instead, head for the product sections of artists that have proven, time and time again, they produce quality products.

That goes for anywhere that these people sell their products. The only way to make a stand for quality is going to be supporting artists who demonstrate that quality and, indirectly, the stores that work hard to retain those suppliers.

• @vilters said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

To the (ex) RDNA managers:

Respect is something you do not get for free.
    Respect is something one has to earn, each and every day, over and over again.

Wiping out all information removed the last grain of respect that was left.
    They can plant gold bars in my garden, but the respect is gone.

Just a note: RDNA is no longer in control of RDNA. If there's nobody willing to foot the expense of hosting legacy forums, nobody can be expected to do it. Whenever any long-term site goes down, like this, what's the primary concern of the community that has grown up around it? PRESERVE HISTORY! :) It's the same, everywhere. Why else do things like The Wayback machine exist?

It's a terrible loss and I rail at the coming of the night.. But, in the end, it's not always a decision that is free to make and kicking someone when they are down is distasteful. All we can do, all we really should do, is to try to preserve what we have the power to preserve and, then, to try to help something new grow from it.

So, plant your seeds in fertile soil. Here's not a bad idea.. Other places exist, as well. A new "technological age" could spring from the demise of the Node Cult or any great group of peeps who come together in community spirit. It's possible.