RDNA Forums are gone. :(

• Poser Ambassadors

@jura11 It was indeed very sad. I loved RDNA, Syyd, Eric, Colm and all the admins. They do a hard work to keep the shop alive and up and running. As vendors you always had somebody with open ears for your problem. But I think after so many years of being responsive 24/7 for the store and the vendors and customer they just take a great opportunity and leave all behind. More free time, less stress, we all don't get younger :)

• @morkonan There's been new Poser products introduced since then. I'm not driving anyone to buy there, just saying that some Poser products still get hosted there, from time to time. Not many, for sure, but once-in-awhile a new one will pop up.

Yes, Flipmode still produces Poser versions of his Easy Environments and I buy them on release to support the vendor.

There were a couple others recently, and I purchased their products but had to return them because the polycount was so high, the products brought Poser to a standstill when I added a figure to the scene.

• @Glitterati3D said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@morkonan DAZ headhunts all vendors from every location. Been there, done that, said no.

That's an understandable practice, but it's... dirty. In the longrun, in a healthy and competitive environment, it can come back to haunt those who blatantly engage in it. There's nothing wrong with trying to better oneself or one's business, but some things are done more to hurt other businesses than anything else. AND, sometimes, the vendors (new hires) can easily be abused.

I know... It's shameless, but I've done it in business. Headhunt top employees and sales people, take them from your competitor, use their skills and their all-important contact-lists and knowledge, then once you have incorporated all of it, turn around and ask them "What have you done for me, lately?" ... I don't feel good about it, but when you have employees that need to feed their kids and customers that count on you, you do what you have to do. In these cases, it's not like the new hires found in such a way weren't aware of what they were doing. In that sort of business, it's a survival rule and good staff know how to secure their value in a new company past just the exploitation of information/contacts/skills.

But, once someone has forced you to work a grindstone, and only that grindstone, what are you going to do when you suddenly realize that your livelihood depends entirely on... only working their grindstone. :)

For that reason, I always made it a practice to never, ever, get "in bed" with only one supplier for any raw material my company needed. Once that happens, you're at their mercy and they are the ones who are dictating your margins, not you.

There were a couple others recently, and I purchased their products but had to return them because the polycount was so high, the products brought Poser to a standstill when I added a figure to the scene.

Hmm.. Which? Outdoor environments? IIRC, a few were on deep discount not long ago and I almost bought 'em.

Transmaps can sometimes have that effect, especially those designed for leaves/trees/that sort of thing. I've only rarely had actual polycount choke Poser, but I have had figures with too-many-morphs in their CR2 help overload Poser. So, just file-sizes can also do it. OpenGL is pretty robust, but cards aren't always so.

One thing that sometimes gets to me - I like efficiency and not all items are created with memory footprint in mind. Some are and these are the "quality" products that often have several different versions or material sets. But, some aren't, and these are the rushed jobs where every darn leaf in a forest scene is a DIFFERENT 2000x2000 jpg pic... :/ :)

• @morkonan No, these were exterior sets and it was the polycount - it was simply way too high as to make them practically useless. I never even got to the rendering stage as I couldn't stage the scene at all.

There's another one like it too - the boardwalk product (not to be confused with ARTCollab's boardwalk) - polycount too high to stage a scene with it.

And, I was speaking about Flipmode's Easy Environment products. Those are all Poser compatible products - and nicely low poly.

• @morkonan

My method is to wait until it shows up in Fast Grab (70% off). Almost everything ends up there at some point. I am patient, because it isn't like there is anything original coming out of DAZ; it's just variations on a theme, and I am not going to pay DAZ prices for something that is less capable that what I bought there a decade ago - i.e. clothing.

@morkonan No, these were exterior sets and it was the polycount - it was simply way too high as to make them practically useless.

Yes Traci, I had a very similar issue with a really lovely outdoor scene I really, really wanted. I had to return it because I couldn't use it, and now that PA is on my ignore list. It's unfortunate, because his products are lovely, but unless I'm running a mainframe computer in my house, I'll never have access to the power I'll need to work with his products, and that's a shame.

• @Miss-B Yeah, probably the same vendor I was talking about. Not that the specific vendor matters, as I'm seeing the same thing in posts on the DAZ forums from DS users complaining about the same thing. That, and scene files that aren't even scaled to fit DAZ figures.

• @piersyf said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@Miss-B

Yes, my comments were not to suggest any complicity with Rendo or any staff, just that their security measures aren't great.

I agree whole-heartedly. Renderosity was the first 3D site I joined 17 years ago this coming April, and I've never had any major problems with their store or forum staff, but after all those years of shopping there, I'm all of a sudden having problems using my credit card to make purchases.

I've read in the past couple of months that credit card purchases made through their store goes through PayPal, so a major problem (other than the credit card hacks) is not getting those purchases processed properly. I'm using PayPal directly now, and don't have any issues, so there's something going on between their store and PayPal when paying with a credit card.

@Miss-B Yeah, probably the same vendor I was talking about.

Yes, I would suspect so.

@morkonan No, these were exterior sets and it was the polycount - it was simply way too high as to make them practically useless. I never even got to the rendering stage as I couldn't stage the scene at all.

There's another one like it too - the boardwalk product (not to be confused with ARTCollab's boardwalk) - polycount too high to stage a scene with it.

And, I was speaking about Flipmode's Easy Environment products. Those are all Poser compatible products - and nicely low poly.

I'm very curious which product it is. I've been looking for a decent and realistic looking boardwalk for years and haven't found one. If you don't want to list it here, a PM (I think you can message people on these forums?) is fine if you don't mind.

@Miss-B I don't mean to antagonize but which product was this?

• Thanks to the fitting room, I am using a considerable amount of G3F clothing and shoes for Pauline. And the more limited selection of G3M for Paul. Sales come along like today, where you can get 60 percent off if you buy three items. Stuff for Poser is where you look for it, including DAZ.

• @johndoe641 I still think the best boardwalk made is Jack Tomalin's Disconsolation. And, it's on sale right now, too.

Yes, it has some shelters, but you don't have to load those.

• @morkonan said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

That's an understandable practice, but it's... dirty. In the longrun, in a healthy and competitive environment, it can come back to haunt those who blatantly engage in it. There's nothing wrong with trying to better oneself or one's business, but some things are done more to hurt other businesses than anything else. AND, sometimes, the vendors (new hires) can easily be abused.

I believe they have finally given up on me. There was a time several years ago when I would get insultingly low offers from DAZ minions several times a month, especially on the Elven Village series. They probably finally realized that it was just easier to encourage DAZ exclusive vendors to 'inspire' themselves by looking at my products.

Id hear arguments from several brokerages that content sales are all about getting it out fast to as many people at once, then following a specific discounting plan.

The thing is, these plans serve the brokerage and not the creator. If the plan was that good, they wouldn't need a 50-55% cut to begin with (and / or demand exclusivity). Their marketing efforts do not justify that cut.

• @meshbox

The thing is, these plans serve the brokerage and not the creator.

Hear hear chikako.

• @johndoe641 I rendered out Disconsolation in Superfly for you John.

The sky and water are the Construct with Seasch's freebie textures and haze ring. I also deleted the shelter from the Preload scene.
    0_1486440949382_Disconsolation.jpg

• @Glitterati3D Oh that does look nice. I think I could definitely work with that. Thanks! D:

• @johndoe641 You're welcome! It's been a long favored piece of mine.

• @Glitterati3D Mine too Traci, and thank you for reminding me I have it. ~smile~

• @Miss-B :-)

It's always been an excellent piece of art, but it looks really nice in Superfly! I didn't change anything except added some ambient yellow to the light bulbs on the poles. Those are all Jack's textures.