RDNA Forums are gone. :(

• @Glitterati3D said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@morkonan No, these were exterior sets and it was the polycount - it was simply way too high as to make them practically useless. I never even got to the rendering stage as I couldn't stage the scene at all.

There's another one like it too - the boardwalk product (not to be confused with ARTCollab's boardwalk) - polycount too high to stage a scene with it.

And, I was speaking about Flipmode's Easy Environment products. Those are all Poser compatible products - and nicely low poly.

I love me some polys! But.... yes, exterior scenes, especially with complex organics, in which every single location in the scene is designed to be used for high-res rendering can be pretty darn bloated. That's the difference between a product that is meant for one particular view/use or a product that can be used for "any shot." Compare the product you're discussing with something like the old DAZ Environments and other products that have a central scene with billboard surroundings. Those are one-shot deals, with only one focus area. Big environments meant to versatile so you can take shots from anywhere are... heavy.

They're awesome and versatile, but just like you relate, too much of a good thing can be too much. :)

Instancing... It'd sure be nice in some situations. Poser's primarily a "pose a human figure" sort of package and not an environment renderer, so I can see why it hasn't pursued some workarounds. Still, it'd be nice for those shots, certainly.

• @Glitterati3D very nice indeed. Great work!

• Well, here's hoping. Blender has micropolygon displacement for Cycles, instancing and adaptive sub-division, which all drastically reduce render loads. Now if we can convince SM to do the same for Poser...

• @Glitterati3D that model is based on San Fransisco's Pier 7
    0_1486527398476_pier 7.jpg

• @ghostship Pretty!

• Heavy polygon usage is usually indicative of a modeler going for a lot of detail by physically adding it in. I'm guilty of that myself from time to time and I'm trying to start using more normal mapping and displacement.

• @eclark1849 said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

Heavy polygon usage is usually indicative of a modeler going for a lot of detail by physically adding it in. I'm guilty of that myself from time to time and I'm trying to start using more normal mapping and displacement.

^-- This can be a common mistake. Polybloat is a disease just as bad as Polyblight... But, IMO with some of the more professional modelers/creators, they have high detail in order to make their scenes as versatile as possible. So, for instance, if you want to render a nice closeup in a part of the scene, behind a specific tree, in the corner, that is near some underbrush, near the beginning of a stream... you can do that, without loss of detail, since the model is very heavy.

The solution is fairly simple - Have the scene available in "lite" or limited versions with the same install. For instance, one could load up just a portion of the scene with a billboard render in the background. It's not that much extra work except for generating the internal scene files and arranging them appropriately. Still, it is work and unless the whole scene is very heavy, it's something the user can set up for their specific purposes.

The worst, though, are scene files that are simply one huge, ginormous, object... I've come across some of those, but not in the Poser community. (Most freebie ones like that are rips from in-game "level" geometry, in my experience, though, surely, not all of them. Some are generated files from things like Terragen, etc.)

• @ghostship said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@Glitterati3D that model is based on San Fransisco's Pier 7

I never knew that. It's been years since I've been in San Fran, so don't recall if I ever saw Pier 7. Very nice view for sure.

• Just noticed this thumbnail on my FireFox new tab (frequently accessed sites). I never saw the "RDNA Closed" bit (top left), but I think that sums it up.

0_1486605065205_RDNAclosed.jpg

Wonder how long it'll be before DAZ let's the domain name renewal slip ?

• @3dcheapskate said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

Wonder how long it'll be before DAZ let's the domain name renewal slip ?

They'll keep it long enough for people to forget about it. Bear in mind, though, that if they actually "bought out" the company and didn't just buy its store assets, then they own www.runtimedna.com and probably .net, .tv, .whatever. Just in case you get any... ideas. :) (A search for letters of incorporation might show the transfer or registration in DAZ's home state reflecting it as a subsidiary until the trademarks are transferred/re-registered.)

A response in general:

Just to note: Anywhere where we try to support the local Poser community is "doing good" by Smith Micro, since that's their product. So, if people wanted to make good, quality, posts helping other Poser users out in other forums, I'd imagine SM would be congenial with that.

• @Glitterati3D said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@morkonan That's my complaint, as well. Their QA is simply non-existent.

Between the credit card hacks, the flood of DS only products, and the low quality of most of the products, I got tired of trying to find the few nuggets of good stuff.

I just don't shop at Renderosity anymore and haven't for some time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this complaint. There is hardly anything left purchasing at Renderosity anymore. Nearly everything is for DAZ Studio or cheesey. There are only a few artists I will buy from at their website and even then the pickings are getting slimmer by the day. Nothing but junk or poor quality models.

I was hit with the credit card hack too. I would have stayed away, but with DAZ killing the competition by buying up RDNA there aren't too many choices for quality products. I never understood why DAZ would purchase a predominantly Poser-related website then not produce any new or very little Poser content.

• Poser Ambassadors

@whbos1 said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

I never understood why DAZ would purchase a predominantly Poser-related website then not produce any new or very little Poser content.

For the same reasons any business buys out another business.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you get a competing business?
    Buy it, close it, competition gone.

Earn some more money, buy the next business, and do the same.

And if you can't swallow them?
    Price the out of the market for a few months until they run out of cashflow.
    Buy the leftovers and continue on to the next.

Basic economic rules.

• @ssgbryan PoserAddicts is still full of legacy items going back to Generation 2, Generation 3 and Generation 4. Many vendors products which used to be on Renderosity and rolled off into oblivion are still available there. There are literally thousands of pose packs and texture packs there too. Just got to do some digging. But you will find alot of cool things that might fit the bill.

• @profotograf I didn't know PoserAddicts was still around. That's good they didn't all disappear because some of my favorite RDNA vendors have disappeared.

• @profotograf said in RDNA Forums are gone. :(:

@ssgbryan PoserAddicts is still full of legacy items going back to Generation 2, Generation 3 and Generation 4. Many vendors products which used to be on Renderosity and rolled off into oblivion are still available there. There are literally thousands of pose packs and texture packs there too. Just got to do some digging. But you will find alot of cool things that might fit the bill.

I have bought a lot of cool things there - it's pretty much the only place I could get SM G2 content by Jepes & Trekkie Girl - and I love FemaSu.