Poser Error upon Start

• I keep getting this error.

XML parsing error: 'not well-formed (invalid token)' at line 2

Once I click it off the program appears to run properly except for an exceptionally large render that took up 95 percent of my memory yet was using only 1.9 percent of CPU power.

Any idea's how I can rid myself of this error?

Additional question. Is that CPU and memory usage proper on a firefly render? I use windows 10 and Poser Pro 11.

Thank you for your time.

• I get that far too often, and as soon as it happens, I know I have to set up my library panel again. It loses all the configuration I had set it to. It's a foible that I've just got used to and put up with.
    It's like the render cache. After doing variations of renders, I go through the recent renders and delete the versions I'm not happy with. Only when I close Poser and restart again, those recent renders are still there. I then have to manually go to the render cache and delete them. I have found though after the latest SR that if I delete them as soon as Poser loads, it does remove them, but any subsequent ones persist.

• @maestro

Make sure it's patched up and any script packages you have installed that are located in the "Add ons" menu portion are also properly installed and working. I had this issue and I think it was caused by Reality for Poser not being in the primary Poser runtime directory. (Like many, I use a remote directory instead of installing content directly in the root.) Other add-on packages might cause the same issue. Sometimes, removing all the generated startup and preferences files, letting it start from a clean config, will correct issues like this, as well. I can't speak to Win 10 issues, but I do know that Win 10 is very protective. Make sure that Poser has the appropriate permissions to access read/write priveleges as well as necessary ports (Configured in your Firewall software) so the renderer can make use of them during rendering. (It needs to use these as logical ports, not for remote connections.)

• I have the latest SR's from SM. So I should be up to date regarding any patches. I also have reality for Poser though I wonder if I need it now that I have cycles.

Let's go step by step in trying to get to correct behavior. I also have a bug where for some reason it looks for a texture upon going to an empty new render screen. Because it's looking for a non existent texture it keeps searching and searching. Going to a new Render used to take me seconds. It was fast. Now, I take a break and wait for it to find this Black Texture that it doesn't need. Now I'm also getting that XML failure as well.

I remember cleaning prefs in my old Poser 9. Could you direct me to where Prefs should be in PP11? And which files I should delete so Poser can rebuild them again? I installed to C: Program Files/ Poser 11. Nothing too exotic. I keep my content on External Drives and my programs on the C: Drive. Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Reality is in it's own directory rather than in Poser's.

• @maestro

First, see here: https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

Read that. Now, also know that you can delete more than just Poser Prefs(MAC)/Poser.ini(WIN), LibraryPrefs.xml, Poser UI Prefsxxxxx.xml. You can also delete any of the .xml prefs/config files as well as the .cfg files.

What I would suggest is deleting these prefs/config files. FIRST, though, back them up somewhere, just in case. Also, back up your default scene file, unless you don't mind setting it back up, again. However, take note: There could be bad references in your default scene file that cause errors, too.

Delete these to get a fairly clean flush: :)

LibraryPrefs.xml
    LibraryState.xml
    Poser UIPrefMap.xml
    Poser UI Prefs xxxxxxx.xml (Prefs setup for your display resolution)
    Poser.ini (the big one everyone always recommends deleting)
    Preferredstate.pz3
    Renderxxxx.cfg (If you're having problems with, say Firefly renders crashing/hanging when called remotely by D3D's panel, delete the Rendererfirefly.cfg. (Or, if you have any recurring issues with this problem.)

Deleting these should fix a majority of issues that would be caused by them, of course. However, you will have to set your Libraries up, again, which shouldn't be a big deal as you just have to give Poser the location for remote libraries. Check your addons, as well, to be sure they don't mind these refreshed configs. BUT, make sure you do a CLEAN FIRST RUN of Poser before you touch any scripts that didn't originally come packaged with it. Get it loaded up, set your prefs back up, get one render through the DEFAULT rendering menu (Not D3D's yet!) and set your preferred state and save a scene. Then, exit and everything should be nicely and cleanly set up for you. Restart Poser and start fiddling with your more esoteric scripts/content to see how well they're playing, now.

PS - Do not forget the Options panel and to check to be sure critical things, like what sort of Morphs you wish to use (external/internal) are set back to the way your figures/other are arranged, else you'll have problems loading up certain figures and may not remember that this Option was reset, as well.

Note: If you have an extensive script collection or a lot of addons, please take note that some of them will not work properly unless they are installed in the default Poser directory structure. (They can't find the libraries they need, otherwise.) They will also not appear on the default scripts menu unless they are present in the local directory for Poser, since Poser won't go outside to read remote directory Python entries, just to put a handy entry in your Scripts/Addons window. Also take note that "Addons" seems to function differently and scripts present there will, I think, be read upon startup. If these don't have the corrected directory structure in them, through whatever means they use or if they have been reinstalled "to" the new Poser location so they can register, then anything those scripts might call up or point to when Poser is started can/will generally produce error messages. At least, in my experience that is. (I am not a programmer.)

• Ugh! I really don't want to mess with the DSON importer add-on unless I have to. It's an add-on that works just fine now. Will doing this wipe out my ALL my scripts as well. I have a LOT of scripts. My favorite is somewhere on in External Hard Drive but is no longer available as RDNA is now defunct.

Suddenly this sounds like a big deal!

I'll get my old scripts backed up and hope that DAZ hasn't messed with the DSON Importer again. I just learned to download a copy of it as a backup.

I think the Poser.ini file is the most basic file but I think it's the one that will do the least good. I would think Preferredstate.PZ3 would be my first choice.

• @maestro said in Poser Error upon Start:

Ugh! I really don't want to mess with the DSON importer add-on unless I have to. It's an add-on that works just fine now. Will doing this wipe out my ALL my scripts as well. I have a LOT of scripts. My favorite is somewhere on in External Hard Drive but is no longer available as RDNA is now defunct.

Suddenly this sounds like a big deal!

I'll get my old scripts backed up and hope that DAZ hasn't messed with the DSON Importer again. I just learned to download a copy of it as a backup.

I think the Poser.ini file is the most basic file but I think it's the one that will do the least good. I would think Preferredstate.PZ3 would be my first choice.

No, this won't touch any of your installed content or scripts. All this does is forces Poser to rebuild its configuration files and to set them at "factory default" settings. It doesn't touch anything at all besides the files mentioned.

Many times, since these config files are written to and updated every time you make environment changes in Poser (ie:Computer environment/setting changes for the program) they can, if an error occurs or something gives bad info, get corrupted/misinformed. Deleting them forces Poser to rebuild them, just like it does, automatically, transparently, when you first start Poser. It's like setting it back to your "First Run" state, right after you installed it, but NONE of your installed scripts or content will be touched, only the info Poser uses to make itself aware of its environment.

It's safe. Don't worry. Back up the files you delete (The ones listed above, only, or the ones listed in the SM link) and store them in another directory. Then, delete them and run Poser. Poser will see they are not there, think that it's a brand new install, and then rebuild these files as it loads up, noting all the existing environment variables and setting your Preferences back to the factory-default state and save them, again.

Preferredstate.pz3 is only the scene file that Poser loads when you first start it up. So, if you have customized that scene and told Poser, via your Preferences menu, that you wish to start every session with a custom scene, then that is what this is. If you are still starting Poser with the default "Andy" scene, then that's what it is. In either case, it's generally not an important file (Unless you have something special stored in it that isn't anywhere else) and it's important to reset it back to the factory-default "Andy" scene, since a pz3 file can have pointers and, perhaps, active script calls (not sure, there) that will attempt to run every time that default scene is loaded, which if it is set to the preferred state, means it's loaded every time you run Poser. That makes troubleshooting any Poser-related error messages very troublesome unless you reset the preferredstate.pz3 scene back to the factory-default "Andy" scene. If you wish, you can copy/paste that file somewhere else and replace it, once you've done the troubleshooting on other things. Then, it will automatically load as your starting scene and if you get errors only after that, you know they're caused by something in that scene that's not behaving correctly.

• Got it! My preferred scene is simply the opening scene without the Andy skeleton, Libraries and the parameters selected. I'll do the backup. Linking my runtimes again is something I've done since Poser Figure Artist and I learned what a runtime was! As long as I don't have to worry about my scripts and add-ons. My current addons are Dson Importer, Kinectic Capture and Python Shell. Only the Dson isn't native as an add-on. I still haven't added my Reality Add-on to PP11. Considering the way Superfly works, I'm not sure I'll need to.

I'll backup those files and get my clean install. Thanks for your help, Morkonan! I think some of the over 100 people that viewed this thread will be glad this information is here!

• @maestro

You shouldn't have any issues from deleting those config files. All you'll have to do is set up your default scene, if you wish to change it, your UI, link it to whatever remote (non-local directory) runtime you want and don't forget to go into the Preferences menus and set those back up, too. Once that's done and you've run it once like that, clean, done a default render using the default render menu (not the D3D one, yet, let it get pristine info first) and have exited, it should have everything setup cleanly and you can start debugging with more confidence if the issue still arises.

• @maestro

Just a note:

If your error is, indeed, being caused by a python script that is being initialized when Poser is starting up, I think I've found a solution for that - It may NOT actually be a fault in the script, itself. It may be that, at certain times during startup and differing between startups, Poser has not yet fully initialized before the script attempts to run!

See here, Section 5 - http://d3d.sesseler.de/store/tutorial/run_python/RunPython.pdf

"...However, Poser may not yet be fully initialized when this start-up script runs, and some scripts may
    fail because of this. In that case, you may start a script with a delay for a few seconds. In Poser 8
    and up, this can be done as follows:..."

So, it's possible that after all the work to set up Poser in its default state, you could still get errors caused by this accident-of-nature during Poser's initialization. To fix that, follow the instructions in the pdf! Backup copies of the necessary .py files, just in case, and experiment a bit.

D3D (Ralf Sessler) is a Poser Python diety, for practical purposes. :) If he says it, it has to be true.... right? :)

• @morkonan Actually Joe/Netherworks built in the delay in a couple of his newer script updates for the very same reason, so I think Ralf is definitely on the right track.

• Now that is interesting information. So it might not be the config or preferences files after all.

And I agree. Both Ralf and Joe are both Poser deities!

Keeping this thread alive because it's filled with information.

• Poser Pro 11 is slow to start up, slow to use, I see the "Not Responding" message on a regular basis with almost every maneuver, and it usually crashes trying to shut it down.
    I have every update, and this it the worse Poser I've ever used.

• @nakedfunn_ said in Poser Error upon Start:

Poser Pro 11 is slow to start up, slow to use, I see the "Not Responding" message on a regular basis with almost every maneuver, and it usually crashes trying to shut it down.
    I have every update, and this it the worse Poser I've ever used.

Just a note: I don't have that problem. :) Now, it's not necessarily "your fault" that you do! It's just that there is obviously something going on with your system, your content files, your specific configuration that is causing the issue.

See my post above. Go through those steps in cleaning out Poser's startup files and such. Get it reset back to "default" and look at whatever scripts you may have loading up in the "Add Ons" menu and anywhere else you may have added something like a script. Also, check your vid card drivers for compatibility, try running Poser in SREED to see if its an OpenGL problem with your vid driver, do a RAM check, CPU check, hard-disk check...

Poser is a pretty darn powerful bit of software and touches on a huge number of resources. With the addition of certain scripts, it can touch even more stuffs and be forced to do a whole bunch of stuff that it wasn't originally planned for it to do.

Rest assured - Unless your issue revolves around things that can not be changed, like a hardware incompatibility issue or specs problem you can't/won't change or fix, your issue can be solved.

PS - It's possible there's some old cache issues, too. I use CCleaner to clean up old cache files and other files that could eventually cause problems or are just no longer necessary. Try downloading it (free) and just run its default cleaner for files and your registry. Poser crashes often leave huge caches that don't always get cleaned up and it's possible that could cause an issue for you. I don't know for sure, but it's possible - I've seen it happen. (At least in another version where the only way to fix an issue was to either clean its cache or reboot.)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.