The notification that never went away...

• The site still seems a little buggy, things don't always work exactly the same way twice, but since I guess you're still tightening screws behind the curtains I didn't worry too much till now (and they are all minor annoyances at best).

Today I got a persistent notification though.
    When you click on the "bell" icon on top you get a list of notifications; Usually you can clear that list by clicking "mark all read", but this one notification resists. It won't go away, period.
    No matter if I mark it read, or click on it to go to the advertised post, it stubbornly stays in my notification list. All others, from before or after, were easily cleared like they are supposed to... This one resists fiercely. Definitely a bug.

I tried to log out, clear my cookies, log back in, and it's still there.
    Strangely, it's the last item shown in my history of notifications (bell, "See all notifications") although I've received several after this one. Did you change something in the handling of notification earlier today which made this one stick forever?

• @rg5a said in The notification that never went away...:

Did you change something in the handling of notification earlier today which made this one stick forever?

No recent changes in that area.

What happens if you click See all notifications? Can you mark it read/make it disappear that way?

• Maybe it's NOT the same notification, but a series of notifications about the same thread?

• [Edit] - Huh. That was odd. Okay, so I closed the browser window, opened a new one, and this time when I went to the forums, the persistent notification had gone away.

Very odd. LOL

[Edit 2] - Nevermind. It's back. I'll shush now. :)

Either way - I have at least some variation of this bug happening. Bell displays 3 notifications, but only shows me one when I go into the notifications, and notifications do not clear.

• administrators

@Seliah Does clicking "Mark as read"->"All" make notifications disappear?

• @admin said in The notification that never went away...:

@Seliah Does clicking "Mark as read"->"All" make notifications disappear?

Not for me, no. Yes, I've tried it. The only thing that seems to make the "new alert" notification go away, is getting another alert.

Example :
    This morning, I could not get rid of that new alert no matter how many times I clicked the alert, clicked on all alerts, or clicked on "Mark as read." (Additionally, it was displaying an incorrect number of "new" alerts. It was saying I had 4 new alerts, but there was only one actual notification there, even when I clicked to "view all." Then, it changed to saying I had 3 new alerts.)

But once the new notification came in for your reply, now the red "new alert" number finally went away. So it only seems to go away when another alert comes in.

I'm using Windows 7, and Opera version 36.0

• administrators

Not sure, could be something Opera specific.
    Though, I know few scenarios with some similar effect:

When the page window is not in focus, some browsers switch off some JS functionalities, and so this can make notifications buggy a bit, or having multiple tabs open(making multiple socket connections).... But these are easy to work around - simply entering a new location(or refreshing) solves the problem.

• @Uli-Klumpp said in The notification that never went away...:

What happens if you click See all notifications? Can you mark it read/make it disappear that way?

Sorry, was away for some weeks. No, doing this doesn't make it go away.
    For the record, I'm using Firefox (latest).

That been said, it has gone away since; Now I only see one notification, the one about this thread, and I can't mark it read, neither in the bell pop-up, nor in the (otherwise empty) notification list...

I do get some (lots of) script problems on this forum. For instance, I had to click 5-6 times on "Quote" to trigger this reply. First attempts didn't do anything. Also, the reply preview (right pane) is inert today, it doesn't reflect anything I type...

Also all the formatting buttons (bold, italic, etc.) are dead for me, they do nothing. They did work as expected for a couple days many weeks ago, one day they stopped working and never came back. No, I didn't change anything on my Firefox.

I don't know what forum software this is, but it seems a little unstable, or at least inconsistent.

Well, I was unable to post this reply. I had to open a new tab and copy/paste my reply into it to be able to post. Definitely buggy.

• administrators

@rg5a said in The notification that never went away...:

@Uli-Klumpp said in The notification that never went away...:

Sorry, was away for some weeks. No, doing this doesn't make it go away.
    For the record, I'm using Firefox (latest).

That been said, it has gone away since; Now I only see one notification, the one about this thread, and I can't mark it read, neither in the bell pop-up, nor in the (otherwise empty) notification list...

I do get some (lots of) script problems on this forum. For instance, I had to click 5-6 times on "Quote" to trigger this reply. First attempts didn't do anything. Also, the reply preview (right pane) is inert today, it doesn't reflect anything I type...

Also all the formatting buttons (bold, italic, etc.) are dead for me, they do nothing. They did work as expected for a couple days many weeks ago, one day they stopped working and never came back. No, I didn't change anything on my Firefox.

I don't know what forum software this is, but it seems a little unstable, or at least inconsistent.

Well, I was unable to post this reply. I had to open a new tab and copy/paste my reply into it to be able to post. Definitely buggy.

having lots of script problems on forum is more than enough for many functionalities to fail.
    I don't get any script errors in latest FF 46.01, except mixed content error/warning.
    rg5a, did you try to restart FF with Add-ons disabled? There is an option to do so in help menu. Can you please give it a try?

rg5a, did you try to restart FF with Add-ons disabled? There is an option to do so in help menu. Can you please give it a try?

Just did, and no, page scripts still do their own thing (or rather, don't). I'm writing this in Safe Mode, no plug-ins whatsoever, and I still had to refresh the page twice to get the "quote" button to work, just like it usually does. I have noticed this quirk happens when I open several tabs (usually I click on the Notifications bell, and right click "open in new (background) tab" on every notification, then I process them one after the other). Somehow open background tabs go stale and need refreshing for the scripts to work as intended.

Using Firefox 46.0.1 on Linux.

Edited to note: This is the only forum engine I have problems with. None at Rendo, RDNA or other forums I frequent.

• administrators

Testing reply on FF 46.0.1, Ubuntu linux 15.10.

• administrators

@rg5a

I have noticed this quirk happens when I open several tabs (usually I click on the Notifications bell, and right click "open in new (background) tab" on every notification, then I process them one after the other). Somehow open background tabs go stale and need refreshing for the scripts to work as intended.

Technical note: this behavior is quite common for client-side heavy web apps. Browsers often stall execution of client-side code if tab has not gotten the focus.
    We made a bit more bold move to pick a software that closely resembles Web 2.0 architecture, instead of old static 1.0 web apps - this does come at a cost, as any browser bug/peculiarity can break app functionality.
    I think we have a an example showing that 2x1.0 doesn't always mean 2x improvement in every part, at least at start. Sometimes it looks like 1/2 :).... things will get polished eventually.
    The forum we use is a relatively young one, still being actively developed and improved. We are giving our best to improve it on our side and contribute back with improvements.

Edited to note: This is the only forum engine I have problems with. None at Rendo, RDNA or other forums I frequent.

Forum softwares used by rendo, RDNA are based on LAMP-like web apps, written 5-10 years ago. These are definitely more stable and better tested, but we were aiming for improved experience in the long run. We believe this software will greatly improve its quality over time, and eventually even surpass its older brethren in many aspects.
    I personally find it more enjoying than PHP-BB clones, but yeah, there are some rough edges left to deal with...

• administrators

Erratic behavior with background tabs seems to be Firefox specific.
    I did a short test on Edge, Opera, Chrome and Chromium - no such errors found.

I need to investigate this further.

Web 2.0

-facepalm-

Forum softwares used by rendo, RDNA are based on LAMP-like web apps, written 5-10 years ago. These are definitely more stable and better tested

I see. That's a good reason not to use them indeed...

What's is real world performance worth, compared to a trendy buzzword?

As for problems being Firefox specific, in the 21st century good forum software is browser agnostic. I won't say more lest I get impolite. Bye.

• administrators

@rg5a
    The bug has been submitted to issue tracker.
    Thanks for reporting.

• administrators

Lots of fixes have been applied since last conversation.
    Some progress has been made with component support for Firefox which hopefully fixes the page-loading bug in Firefox.

I'm not encountering previously mentioned bug anymore.
    @rg5a , does forum work better for you now?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.