Working props...

• I just finished modeling some bedroom furniture for Dawn. And the drawers are all individual and work separately. But is that actually necessary? Does anyone really care if the dresser drawers or cabinet doors work? It doesn't take that much more effort for the drawers although the doors do take a little extra effort, but I'm really curious to know if the extra effort for this bit of realism is wasted or appreciated.

• Down to end user, really. For some reason I like that people go to the effort, although if you open a drawer you really need to put things in it (which can be a pain). I just modelled a kitchen and none of the doors or drawers open, but it's for my own use and they'll never need to be opened in the scene.
    As a rule, if I was selling it, I'd make them open-able.

• Poser Ambassadors

The quality of a "prop" depends on its usability. Doors , windows, drawers, It is nice to have the option to open-close them.
    But textures and mat setups are perhaps more important for props like these. Certainly now that we have multiple render engines.

• @vilters Actually, I've already taken that into account and textured the inside of the drawer as well.

• I do prefer if things open and close. I don't do pinups usually. Most of my scenes involve people interacting with their environment. I did a scene recently where someone was rummaging through a wardrobe. In another I had someone stealing something out of a drawer. If they aren't rigged or morphed to open, just having a parented prop that slides or turns properly is ok too.

• Poser Ambassadors

When Tom and I collaborated on furniture, there was no doubt about drawers sliding and doors opening. There was also no doubt about absolute quality in the textures and absolute realism in the shaders. We are both perfectionists.

Unfortunately, as I am unable to go back in time and split us off into an alternate universe in which we did NOT provide sliding drawers and spinning doors, I cannot tell you whether this made a difference in sales or not.

I do know we sold a shit ton of furniture.

0_1486998996098_product_image_full_191733.jpg
    0_1486999134993_Full93508.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Yep, I remember those. Great work by both.

• @eclark1849 said in Working props...:

I just finished modeling some bedroom furniture for Dawn. And the drawers are all individual and work separately. But is that actually necessary? Does anyone really care if the dresser drawers or cabinet doors work? It doesn't take that much more effort for the drawers although the doors do take a little extra effort, but I'm really curious to know if the extra effort for this bit of realism is wasted or appreciated.

For "architectural" rendering, like the big priced architectural firms might do for visualizations, the answer would be "no", with the exception of "doors" as entry/exit points for rooms, then it'd be a resounding yes.

For Poser? Absolutely - Moving furniture components are desired. Poser is a high quality still rendering and good basic animation program. That doesn't mean that "filler" items like basic furniture props are not needed, however. But, it does mean that users appreciate versatility. If they are going to the trouble of loading up the item, it's likely going to be in part of a scene... and, if that item is in a still scene in a high quality renderer, one should assume it's going to be important in some way, either as a focus piece or for something for a character to interact with. In an animation, a character might just move past it, so it might just be filler. In a still, that character is likely going to be doing something with it.

Plus, it's not hard to parent-rig furniture, adjust rotation centers for parented doors, etc.. For a complex armoire or entertainment center with lots of versatility, it's a little more time consuming, but it still isn't difficult to do.

Lastly - It'll be noticed if it's not done. But, it'll be celebrated by the user if it is done. So... there's only one decision that nets a positive reception. :)

• If you texture the inside of the furniture (or even when texturing the outside) "please" have the wood grain going the right direction?

• I would never buy a prop of an ariculated object that wasn't articulated. The possibility to have doors and drawers open is essential.

• @matb said in Working props...:

I would never buy a prop of an ariculated object that wasn't articulated. The possibility to have doors and drawers open is essential.

I wouldn't pay for one, but I'd download a freebie if it wasn't articulated.

• @redphantom

You can find oodles of freebie furniture out there from arch-vis model sites. Most, however, have to be reworked a little bit in 3D apps that can import/export their file-types. But, there is a decent supply of compatible file types for Poser to import directly. Some can be articulated, thanks to their groups, within Poser. Some are just... hopeless. :) Some furniture and other home furnishing mfrs also offer freebie 3D models for their products in various file-formats. "Converting" these things can range in difficulty, however. Most will be constructed in 3dsMax and exported in tris, with/without useable mapping.

But, at least they're free and "legitimately" so. :)

• It it's not a freebie then I'm actually expecting a fully working prop. Besides, small adjustments to a drawer or a slightly opened or angled door give the renders that small bit of reality that's not immediate to spot but appreciated when you actually notice them.

• @johndoe641 What about stuff to put in the drawers? Which I'm willing to make, but sell separately.

• I suppose that depends on what the furniture is used for. There's quite a few vendors who sell drawer fillings and closet fillings but the more choice we have, the better.

If it's clothing, I tend to use dynamic stuff and drape it over the sides of open drawers, I'm messy irl so I make my characters rooms messy too. :p

• @johndoe641 For example, right now, I'm making some folded shirts and pants. I'll be making various kinds but they'll mostly differ in textures. I'll be using them for various things of course, but most stocking drawers, sales tables, and suitcases.

• It's definitely appreciated when a vendor supplies that stuff or sells it as an add-on. While I tend to grab and pick stuff from various sets for most renders, it takes a LOT of time and patients to do that. Having pre-made and smart propped filler items that go where you want them to go are amazing time savers that keep your sanity in check but really speed up scene completion. Still, it's totally up to you, and if you sell the filler items separately, people like me will buy them for the variety of mixing stuff together. You just need to figure out how much that's worth to you.

• @johndoe641 Hey dude, if people like you will buy it, it's certainly worth the time for people like me to make it.

• @morkonan said in Working props...:

@redphantom

You can find oodles of freebie furniture out there from arch-vis model sites. Most, however, have to be reworked a little bit in 3D apps that can import/export their file-types. But, there is a decent supply of compatible file types for Poser to import directly. Some can be articulated, thanks to their groups, within Poser. Some are just... hopeless. :) Some furniture and other home furnishing mfrs also offer freebie 3D models for their products in various file-formats. "Converting" these things can range in difficulty, however. Most will be constructed in 3dsMax and exported in tris, with/without useable mapping.

But, at least they're free and "legitimately" so. :)

Yeah, I do a lot of that. 3dwarehouse for sketchup is my desperation site. I can usually find it there but the models often need a lot of work to be usable in poser. And I'll check the freebies at Turbo squid too.

• As for what's in the drawers, clothes, daggers, a hidden bottle of rum, a magic vial, you know, the usual. I have a few folded cloth props I'll use and I'll the cloth room to drape stuff to give the look of having rooted through it. Having a few pre-draped things would be nice. Also in it were like a wardrobe, a bar and hangers or hooks to put things on.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.