All the spam.. where are the mods?

• Poser Ambassadors

Maybe a temporary solution might be to require manual authorization to new registrations before they're allowed to post? Or put a limit on how many posts a new registrant can make for the first X-number days. Is there not some kind of captcha system in place to prevent bots?

I don't know, but this is a nightly thing here now and it can't be good for business.

Maybe get another mod or two that are on when Scott isn't.

• @AmbientShade almost 11PM here on the west coast. Just about sleepy time for me, mods probably the same.

• Poser Team

I got it, lol

• I saw the "flood" last night. Evidently, a bot figured out the new scheme or bypassed it. It could have also already have been registered, before the changes or, somehow, been able to transition through the changes.

Shepherding forums is a full-time-thing and that's why a lot of places just don't deal with having them. Automated processes can help, but because they're "automated", they're not foolproof and can be written around, once their checks are known. (Bot writers stay up-to-date on every piece of forum-hosting software there is, since their "income" depends on it.)

• I saw them last night before logging off and sent @admin a message about them. Not sure who took care of them, but they're gone now.

• administrators

There are multiple mechanisms in place to prevent spamming, but attackers we are dealing with are really stubborn - bots get modified/improved soon after we apply new rules/limitations.
    I'm adding a reCaptcha on PGPortal registration....waiting confirmation from internal QA and management to push it live.

• @admin At least that will limit posting to "humans" rather than bots. It might even limit humans if they don't want to "bother" with that sort of thing.

• Poser Team

@Miss-B

I saw it as soon as I came on. There were a lot of threads as well.
    No biggy, I got rid of all the threads and those users are banned.

The biggest issue with spamming is the shear number of networks that they use to do the spamming. It is basically never from the same ip address or even the same range. That makes it fairly hard to deal from an ip address standpoint. They use scripts on those networks to hide where they actually are. Bouncing from one server to the next, all over the world.

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid said in All the spam.. where are the mods?:

They use scripts on those networks to hide where they actually are.

There were a few folks on rosity who did that. My suggestion was to automatically block users whose IPs were hidden. Otherwise they just jump right back on with a new ID and continue with the same troll-arama.

Blocking IPs from certain regions known for sketchy behavior is also an option, of course it might cause other problems for honest folks who just happen to live in bad areas.

• Poser Team

There is an ip address, that is the problem. it just isn't the origin.

They are running scripts on servers all over the world that allow them to proxy thru it. So you get the ip address that is used as the output of the script on the remote server. And they can change that to any open ip address they can access on that server at will.

It is scary how un secure some servers are, and even worse that they do little about it.
    I have filed numerous complaints, and very little is done about it...

I don't even want to know how many hours I have spent, just trying to shut these remote nodes down and stop the spammers. Some companies will shut them down, others don't care a bit.... I have been doing this for years.. And many isp's simply don't care as long as the bills get paid on the server space.

• @shvrdavid said in All the spam.. where are the mods?:

@Miss-B

I saw it as soon as I came on. There were a lot of threads as well.
    No biggy, I got rid of all the threads and those users are banned.

The biggest issue with spamming is the shear number of networks that they use to do the spamming. It is basically never from the same ip address or even the same range. That makes it fairly hard to deal from an ip address standpoint. They use scripts on those networks to hide where they actually are. Bouncing from one server to the next, all over the world.

Actually Scott, I hesitated whether to PM you or Admin when I saw them. I only saw about 6 of them, and I'm sure it's possible there were more in the other non-Poser forum areas, but I really don't check those, so didn't see them.

• @shvrdavid said in All the spam.. where are the mods?:

It is scary how un secure some servers are, and even worse that they do little about it.
    I have filed numerous complaints, and very little is done about it...

I don't even want to know how many hours I have spent, just trying to shut these remote nodes down and stop the spammers. Some companies will shut them down, others don't care a bit.... I have been doing this for years.. And many isp's simply don't care as long as the bills get paid on the server space.

I have friends who laugh at me when I tell them I'll never do any banking online. I'm sure that bank servers are a lot more secure, but to my thinking, if it can be hacked, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when, it will be hacked. I just refuse to take that chance, so I don't pay my bills electronically. Call me old fashioned.

• Looks like the spammers are back

• Poser Team

Not anymore

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.