What...have...I...done!

• So, in a moment of complete and utter craziness I purchased Shade 3D 16, Substance Painter and Substance Designer. Throw that in with my already purchased 3D Coat and I've gone a bit overboard lol. Now I have to learn each one and start creating some things. Problem is I'm not sure where to begin. I guess starting small would be a good way to go, something simple like a prop and work my way up.

What do you all think?

• Poser Team

I bought Silo when it was on sale, and have not even opened it yet, lol
    I have substance painter and I use that a lot.

Welcome to overboard. I think a lot of us do that too.

So many programs, so little time...

• @shvrdavid said in What...have...I...done!:

I bought Silo when it was on sale, and have not even opened it yet, lol
    I have substance painter and I use that a lot.

Welcome to overboard. I think a lot of us do that too.

So many programs, so little time...

So true, but I have to knuckle down now. I want to get into content creation and become a vendor. I've got a long road ahead of me.

• Sounds like you want to dive into Poser 3d content creation and animation - if so I think you made good investments. Shade is an excellent modeler, I use it frequently for its model format conversions. That capability alone makes it a valuable tool in your pipeline. If you enjoy 3dcoat, then you should ignore ZBrush for the moment as its a hard beast to grasp, but when you do its very powerful, but you will find many similar functions in 3D Coat. Ignore DAZ Carrara,... and Hex.. In their day they were worth thier price however now unsupported and somewhat obsolete they are not worth the effort to learn. If you are into rendering atmospherics and environmental scenes with Poser characters do explore E-On Vue (Version Studio or above). My cant live without 3d app is Brad Bolthouse''s Ultimate Unwrap 3D. It fixes... nearly all 3D conversion errors, UV challanges and even animation glitches with block key-frame parameter edits.

Shade Formats:
    Wavefront (OBJ) Import/Export
    LightWave 3D (LWO) Import/Export
    3D Studio MAX (3DS) Import/Export
    COLLADA Import/Export
    FBX Import/Export
    DXF Import/Export
    DirectX Export
    RenderMan RIB Export
    VRML2.0 Export
    SketchUp! 8 & 2013
    Second Life Export
    STL Import/Export

• Poser Ambassadors

I stick to Poser-Blender-Krita.
    It's a great combination.

And?
    I fear I don't live long enough to learn all the tips and tricks of those 3. :-)

• Poser => Every single day.
    • Blender => Every single day for modeling, UV_Map and texturing. Sometimes a little rigging. (Havent touched the other options yet.)
    • Krita => Once or twice a week, and I have to search . . . How did I do that last time??

Ha-ha-ha-, I don't get how you guys do it.....

• @vilters said in What...have...I...done!:

Ha-ha-ha-, I don't get how you guys do it.....

One word... "necessity". I start with a vision and gather the resources to get it done. That generates the tools... I live for tools, but I dont let them inhibit my creativity.
    So I approach the hobby from the opposite perspective. If I cant find the right tool to get it done, I make it (dreamcutter,com).

• I've used Blender in the past. I was grasping it fairly well but everytime I found a tutorial it was out dated and I never achieved the results I wanted. Frustration was the killer for that bit of software. A lot of things in Blender can be found in Shade. I have Bullet Physics, Hair room, Modeling, Animation, Rendering and more.

I just need to focus on one at a time and learn (via baby steps) how to incorporate each into my workflow. I have a plan I just need to focus and not overwhelm myself.

• Good for you ! I use Shade 3D 16 standard with Poser; not yet on the Substance Painter train, though.

• Where did you purchase Shade3d? I went to the website and it had a notice that said Mirye was no longer making Shade3D.

• @maestro
    At Smith Micro Graphics website [http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-add-ons-shade-3d.html](link url)

or from their own place:

[https://shade3d.jp/en/](link url)

• I've been modifying Shade 3D scenes for my own Poser use. Probably anime or toon style backgrounds.

2_1487226479557_sroom4_and_stuffMODtoon.png 1_1487226479557_sroom4_and_stuffMOD.png 0_1487226479556_sroom4_and_stuff.png

• @ibr_remote Nice start there! I had been going back and forth on which modeling software to use. I would love to get zbrush, but right now - its going to have to wait. If I manage to learn what I'm doing, sell some quality products then Ill consider it but not before then.

It's nice to see someone else that uses Shade though, its not a very well known modeler but its very powerful. For those that might be interested I also purchased these tutorial series, one of which is free:

Introduction to Shade 3D (this one is free)
    https://gumroad.com/l/jmbBw#

CG illustration with Shade3D - vol. 1
    https://gumroad.com/l/pBsWX#

They are very well done and informative.

• @Lotharen

Start with a simple prop. It doesn't matter what it is. Go through the steps of UV'ing, as well - You will need the practice. Import it into Poser. Look at it... Open up the Joint Editor and change its rotation centers so you get a feel for how that works, too. Save it as a prop. (Once that is saved as a prop, Poser will compress the .obj data into its .obz/pp? format and store that info in the prop file, itself, so the original object is no longer needed. Note - That is only for prop and prop-like files. Poser won't compress rigged object geometry and store the geometry in the CR2, (Which we're thankful for...) so you need to have those stored in the Geometries folder, somewhere.)

Make your subdirectories in Poser for your own use. ie: "Mystuff. Make one for each library you're going to be playing with making things for. Also, make a Mystuff folder in Textures and Geometry and you'll probably want one for the Mat Room, too, when you play with customizing shaders for your stuffs.

Open up some geometry files for items you think are "neat." (DON'T SAVE OVER THEM! :) ) Look at how they're created. If you have a good understanding of how rigged items work in Poser, you can go ahead and start trying to create some geometry for conforming items. Start out simple, like a hat. Move on to more complex stuff, etc.

Just about any 3D tutorial for a polygon modeler is going to go over many of the same concepts. The "laws" for polygonal modeling are pretty much the same, everywhere, and, AFAIK, Shade should follow the same conventions as its brethren.

I'm sure there are plenty of tutes on creating Conforming Clothing for Poser out there. That's probably the only app-specific tutes you'd want to hunt down.

Above all - Choose things you're really interested in, first, to create. You'll need the motivation to carry you through the learning-bits part. Set your standards high! Try to get the geometry "perfect" as possible, go for good geometric symmetry wherever it is desired instead of "good enough" symmetry, do not get in the habit of creating "good enough" UVMaps, work in the appropriate scale, always, to avoid issues. (Not sure the recommended settings for Shade. For many programs, importing a "Poser made" item is done at varying degrees of increased scale, then exported at a complimentary rescaling down. For instance, for Hexagon, recommended import wavefront object formula is x500 in, .002 out, which equals "1." Any import multipliers you choose that equal 1 when multiplied will work. The reason - Poser's objects are... very, very, very, obscenely, tiny, tiny... itsy-bitsy things.)

• @Lotharen

All my clothes for my Paul Anime character and for the Pauline figure (released at shareCG) are made using Shade 3D and Poser Pro 11.

• @ibr_remote said in What...have...I...done!:

@Lotharen

All my clothes for my Paul Anime character and for the Pauline figure (released at shareCG) are made using Shade 3D and Poser Pro 11.

Oh nice! You go by the same name there?

• @Lotharen Thise freebies are under my account name infinity10 at sharecg . Thanks for looking !

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote said in What...have...I...done!:

@Lotharen Thise freebies are under my account name infinity10 at sharecg . Thanks for looking !

42 pages of stuff! You are prolific. awestruck

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.