P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon)

• The Requirements still say:
    You may request permanent activation capability for your license through the P&G License Manager here: pgportal.smithmicro.com (currently read-only, license editing coming soon)

1. Is there going to be a working site?
      Please don't say soon ;o)
    2. Is that permanent activation only as long as it is installed on this computer - what happens when I buy a new one?

Yes, I am not buying a "needs to phone home" software and I don't do clouds ...

• @Kerya said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

The Requirements still say:
    You may request permanent activation capability for your license through the P&G License Manager here: pgportal.smithmicro.com (currently read-only, license editing coming soon)

1. Is there going to be a working site?

It's ready for you to use, that coming soon caveat needs to be removed from the text.

1. Is that permanent activation only as long as it is installed on this computer - what happens when I buy a new one?

You'll have to activate on the new machine (and should de-activate on the old one if you intend to discard it).

• Thank you!
    So if SmithMicro decides not to support it anymore - I am out of luck?
    Oh wellllll - thank you for your information.

• @Kerya said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

So if SmithMicro decides not to support it anymore - I am out of luck?

No, please refer to the last sentence of the section you are quoting:

We have a contingency plan to allow you to continue using your copy of Poser, regardless of Smith Micro management, employee or ownership changes.

• For me, at least, the problem is the phone home nature of the license manger. I purchased Game Dev and went back to straight 2014 because I will not allow programs access beyond my local network. I have purchased every version since poser 7 and this is the first time I did not even consider P11

Bill

• Poser Team

I have a lot of software that phones home, so it is not really a new thing for me.

What tends to get left out when discussing software that phones home, is that it protects your serial number.
    If someone were to get my serial and it did not phone home I might never know that someone else has access to my licence, or anything additional that goes along with that license.

I have other software that is far more strict in the phone home regard.
    I do have one program that used to have that requirement, the company folded, and a patch released just prior to the company folding up removed that from the program. So in that case I was not out of luck, they patched it out.
    The program is Mach Studio Pro 1, and version 2 was released for free shortly afterwards as well.

I have other programs that the serials link it to online libraries, the programs phone home far more often than Poser does, and I would be able to tell instantly is someone else had access to my online assets. Many of them don't even offer an alternative to being linked to an online account when run. No internet access, it wont run unless you set up a license server on site.

Yes phoning home can be an inconvenience, but it has its benefits as well.
    There are two side to it and far to often people only look at the inconvenience part versus registering, personalizing (in some cases), and protecting your serial number from unauthorized use. The opposite can be said as well, and that is that any software maker has the right to protect their investment as well.

No, I am not trying to defend, or change anyone's mind about this.
    I am just pointing out that it can help you as well, even thou there is a inconvenience involved.

I have invested a lot of money in software over the years and I certainly don't want someone else getting what I worked hard for, for free.

• @willyb53 said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

I will not allow programs access beyond my local network.

That's perfectly fine. We support an offline activation process that doesn't require connectivity on the system that the software is installed on.

• Now if that had been done with Game Dev, I might still be using it. To me (and I dont assume other people feel the same) I wasted money on game dev and am not likly to do again.

I assume my game dev is long since deactivated.

Bill

• You should check the license portal. Put in your PP 2014 Game Dev license. Manage that license. Go to the bottom of the active client list and click the edit button. Then check the advanced options box. Scroll down ... "Request Permanent Activation". You can even do it off line if needed.

... even for Game Dev.

• Thank you

Bill

• Poser5 SR4 (after connecting issues were removed from the software), Poser7, Poser8, PoserPro2012, PoserPro2014 ... it's not as if I don't like Poser ...

• What does it mean when it says that making it permanent activation turns the "license key read-only"?

What constitutes a new system? If I'm upgrading my OS from Win7 to 10 is that going to be an issue? What about swapping out mobo's/cpu/ram but keeping the same OS?

• @johndoe641 said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

What does it mean when it says that making it permanent activation turns the "license key read-only"?

It means that the License Manager web app won't be able to edit this license key any more. You'll still be able to view it and its active clients trough License Manager, but any further modifications will have to be requested through https://support.smithmicro.com.

What constitutes a new system? If I'm upgrading my OS from Win7 to 10 is that going to be an issue?

If you're upgrading that's not going to be an issue. If you're reinstalling from scratch, you will have to deactivate first (Help > Deactivate License...) and then let the software reactivate after reinstalling on the fresh OS.

What about swapping out mobo's/cpu/ram but keeping the same OS?

It depends on which parts you are swapping. To be safe, you should deactivate first (Help > Deactivate License...) and then let the software reactivate after the hardware swap.

• @Uli-Klumpp

Speaking of pgportal.smithmicro.com - It currently displays (at least for me) an empty page titled "PGPortal". What's going on?

• @rg5a said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

@Uli-Klumpp

Speaking of pgportal.smithmicro.com - It currently displays (at least for me) an empty page titled "PGPortal". What's going on?

Don't know, works fine for me.

• @rg5a said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

@Uli-Klumpp

It's displaying normally for me as well. Maybe try clearing your cache/cookies for the site.

• It doesn't show anything for me either in Firefox (latest version, 46.0.1), but does work in IE.

• @raven said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

It doesn't show anything for me either in Firefox (latest version, 46.0.1), but does work in IE.

I'm using Firefox too (46.0.1). Might it be the site is MSIE only?
    (The 90ies just called, they want their browser wars back) :-p

I'm using Firefox too (46.0.1). Might it be the site is MSIE only?

Definitely not Internet Explorer only:
    0_1464394596359_upload-88eabb40-79b5-4622-882c-38c544a80554

• @Uli-Klumpp said in P&G License Manager (currently read-only, license editing coming soon):

Definitely not Internet Explorer only:

So why do I get the short version?... :-(
    I just checked, still a blank page.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.