In MS5, does anyone know how to change the text color to "standard black"?

• I made a whole comic which used the default CMYK sliders for text as "Rich Black", which means it has CMYK as 70%, 70%, 70%, 89%. For one printer this worked just fine. But a new printer says the font should be standard black (0%, 0%, 0%, 100%). Whenever I try and change the CMYK sliders, MS5 will let me do this in theory, but then the colors all bounce back to the original Rich Black for some reason. In other words, my text is stuck on these CMYK sliders which can't be changed. I have tried highlighting the text and going to the color panel, and also selecting the entire text box and going to the color panel.

Does anyone know how to make all the text 100% black color, without any other colors?

Also, how does one change the default for this setting for new text?

Thank you!

• Your text should be exported as TIFF duotone.

There is no CMYK color space in CSP. It's an RGB color space that is converted to CMYK using the selected CMYK color profile. Line art and lettering should always be exported as a bitmap then set to print as 0,0,0,100 in the page layout program.

You can set the text to black in the Sub Tool Detail palette (your options are main, Sub, and User Defined) but this will still be an RGB black and will convert to a rich black in CMYK if a CMYK color profile is used when you export.

• @garlam Thanks for your help, and quick reply. I have trouble with the the bitmap export, it doesn't create the text by itself, it adds a white background which means I can not layer it over the art in the page layout program. I can, however, export the text and lineart as a PSD file, which layers just fine in photoshop. However, the color picker in Adobe PS isn't as simple as 0,0,0,100.

• The TIFFs in CSP don't support transparency. Some page layout programs allow you to select a color to set as transparent and you can select the white to make it transparent but there is a better way.

First, since CSP doesn't do EPS files you need to trap your lettering the same way you trap your line art. Vector programs allow you to set fills to knockout and strokes to overprint but this is only needed because the letterer is working in pipeline and has to merge both the line art of the lettering to the artist's line art and the color of the lettering to the colorist's art.

If you're doing your own lettering, this is unnecessary. You can trap the colors of your lettering and add it to your color file and add the black line art of your lettering to the line art.

What happens is this:
    The line art and black lettering needs to be set to 0,0,0,100 and set to overprint. The color layer should include the color information from the lettering layer and it all should be properly trapped. As an example, the whites of the balloons and color fills of your SFX should be included on the color layer and spread under the black line art of the lettering a few pixels.

Then your line art and lettering is exported as one file (they both go on the black plate) and your coloring and lettering coloring goes on one file.

For the line art and lettering, you can export as a PNG file to retain transparency. But you need to have both the line art and lettering set to monochrome and rasterized at print size before you export. I would suggest making a copy layer of the line art and lettering merged and set to monochrome with only the black box selected. Then rasterize. When you export as PNG, select Choose Best Color Choice (I can't remember the exact wording) then export.

For the color art, change the color art and lettering coloring to print resolution (change your resolution to 300 ppi) and use a soft proof with the correct CMYK color profile to correct your colors. Then export as TIFF CMYK without the color profile embedded (it sounds like the file is going straight to the printer so as long as you use the correct profile when you export, you're fine).

In your page layout program, you import the PNG over the line art and change the PNG layer to CMYK selecting 0,0,0,100 for the color. In prepress, ensure that black is set to overprint.

I'm assuming you're delivering your file to the printer as PDF. When you do, the PNG layer will become a CMYK TIFF file with just black ink.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.