mov and mp4 files fail in texture Poser Pro 2014 game deve mac

• I cannot figure this out;

I attempt to use mov and mp4 files in the material room with random success and failure. Sometimes an mp4 will work, then when i reload the pz3, it fails. Sometimes a mov will work, and then it fails. Sometimes one that failed will work again, then eventually fail again.

I have gotten error messages; 'bad file' -which makes no sense as the file originally loaded and rendered etc -until i try to add other textures into the scene.

"texture not loaded or there is not enough memory...etc" -which also makes no sense for the same reasons.

I have tried SM support and they are non-responsive.

This is dragging my workflow to a dead halt.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hmmm... I've had AVIs fail to read on 64bit Poser Pro because of codec mismatch, but I'm not sure what's going on with your experience.

If you have a video editor, you might try this:
    Load the .mov or .mp4 into the video editor, and save out the individual frames as sequentially numbered JPEGs (explosion_001, explosion_002, etc.)

Put those JPEGs into a folder of their own within downloads\runtime\textures.

In the material room, go to the movie node and replace the mov/mp4 with explosion_001.jpg. The movie node will read the JPEGs within that folder in order, changing with each scene frame.

This method avoids bitness and codec problems.

• Well that's something to try. However. it would end up with a lot of jpgs I would think, for a large project. For the moment, I am definitely going to try that as this stage is dealing with image renders rather than animation.

I have a question; will poser loop the images like it would a video? Otherwise i'd have to copy the images redundantly and rename them to fill the frames up. That seems rather tedious to me - like right now -when it works- I can load a 30 frame movie that repeats to fill out the animation.

I have two other poser installs on a laptop and on bootcamp, but neither one of them have the resources of my mac. I have checked them and the avis I converted from mp4 work fine. As a workaround I have that option, but as a user/consumer I really want to use the mac.

Thanks for the response, its at least a solution of sorts, but I still need to make the mac install work - and it has other annoying glitches that I've tried to get SM to address with no success.... I don't want to have to use windows because I don't like the OS.

But again, thanks.

• Poser Ambassadors

Poser will loop the JPEGs; just make sure the "loop" box in the movie node is ticked.

The "...or there is not enough memory" error is usually not due to a lack of memory, but I can't recall offhand what more likely factor triggers that warning.

• Nice! Then that may be a viable workaround. I am going to try it today.

I should have come here and not even bothered to try and get 'support' from SM.

Thanks!

I may post this on another thread (cuz I know its also a rare problem) but have you ever heard of anyone having issue with the parameter dials becoming frozen and unresponsive? I've been dealing with this since i bought Poser Pro 2014 in 2014. I even upgraded my OS trying to fix it. That is the most annoying thing I have dealt with, and still just have to stop and restart poser to workaround it. Like the mov issue the problem is erratic and random. - (it took 3 years and one complaint to the BBB to get the 'activation' debacle worked out and get a straight answer from SM!)

I'll let you know how the jpg thing works.

• It worked! This has made my day! Thank you so much!

As a side note to others who might view this; none of my video editors would do this - I had to use photoshop -which actually worked rather well. I also tried converting the video sequence in photoshop to greyscale so that I could create transparency maps to go with the image sequence, and that worked as well!

• Poser Ambassadors

Glad it worked! This forum is the first place to ask tech/"how to" questions.

I use GIF Animator 5 or a ShockWave Flash editor to export separate frames; perhaps those type of programs are more likely to offer frame export.

• @seachnasaigh well Support came through. It seems that there was a problem with permissions and sharing. I tried all the permissions; folders, files, program, and I even redid my disk permissions. This didn't help. but when I shared the folder I had my main runtime in (my Poser 7 directory) all of my files worked but 1 -which is probably an actual 'bad file' corrupted somehow.

Just thought any one who has a similar problem might like to know. I do really appreciate being pointed to the image sequence solution however, as that opened up other possibilities.

Thanks again

• I also always use image sequences and that always works for me. I use a mac . As far as the unresponsive dials, it happens to me occasionally. Usually only in bigger scenes that I have been working in for a while. Saving and restarting almost always fixes it. I think once or twice in the past I have rebooted. my os OSX Yosemite macbook pro retina 15 16 gb ram.

• @david_macrae well I am glad (not happy glad) to know that I am not the only mac user in the world that has parameter dial issues. This only happens on a mac in my experience -I've only come back to mac in recent years so most of my Poser experience ( and other software) is with Windows.

Yes the restart fixes it 90% of the time, Sometimes if I change rooms a couple of times, like go to the mat room and mess with stuff and then return to preview/pose mode they start working again. I reported this bug to SM support almost 3 years ago -and I believe this and another forum. Until you spoke up, nobody else seems to have this problem.

SM said it was a 'permissions' issue and had me jump through hoops like creating new users and assigning special permissions aaarg! And laughably enough that caused issue with my activation which ultimately forced me to go to the BBB and complain.

They said the same thing about the movie texture problem, and had the same solution to give me. They mentioned 'shared folders' in their suggestions, so I tried that -specifically sharing the root poser directory, which may not be all that good in terms of security- and it works. Haven't had enough time to notice if it effects the parameter dials...

I use OS Yosemite on iMac i7 2012 16GB

• For frozen dials or a morph brush that gets laggy out of a sudden there is no need to restart Poser. To ’fix’ this special features of the Mac version just start a tiny partial render (only tested with FireFly) and things are back to normal. I posted this workaround some time ago on Rendo and it seems to fix this issues for others Mac users as well.

• @nagra_00_ said in mov and mp4 files fail in texture Poser Pro 2014 game deve mac:

For frozen dials or a morph brush that gets laggy out of a sudden there is no need to restart Poser. To ’fix’ this special features of the Mac version just start a tiny partial render (only tested with FireFly) and things are back to normal. I posted this workaround some time ago on Rendo and it seems to fix this issues for others Mac users as well.

sounds like more of those "memory leak" problems. I found an issue with the "zero all rotations" function in the joint editor. When I click ZAR two thirds of my view port freezes and does not update until I click on the render tab and then back to the pose tab. Got to be a memory problem.

• @ghostship said in mov and mp4 files fail in texture Poser Pro 2014 game deve mac:

sounds like more of those "memory leak" problems. I found an issue with the "zero all rotations" function in the joint editor. When I click ZAR two thirds of my view port freezes and does not update until I click on the render tab and then back to the pose tab. Got to be a memory problem.

The issues on Mac look to me as if they are related to the mouse event loop. Something like a missing or misplaced semaphore. When the icons on the right top of the preview window start to flicker on mouse hovering over them i know its time to trigger my workaround again. On Win this is most likely different due to a different event loop implementation.

• Thanks for the tip I will try it next time it happens and report back.

• @nagra_00_ I have actually tried that and it doesn't matter. The thing is so random and arbitrary its hard to get to the root of it. Sometimes a render will work and reset the dials, but it is in no way consistent. I've heard of the 'memory leak' and that makes sense, but I've found no fix except to just save and restart.

I have issues with the render too. Sometimes i have to do a selected render with no result and then try complete render. And again its random and has nothing to do with scene size or number of models props in scene. This never happened on either mac or pc until poser pro came out.

• Hmm, interesting for me this brings back the dials 100% but of course not permanent. Just until when ever it may happen again;)
    I never had the render issue you mention but therefor i have that terrible laggy bending issue with conformers on all my Macs that nobody else seems to have.

• Oh wait, there was an issue with renders. Whenever Poser was in this strange state (flickering icons) starting a full render returned very fast without actually doing the render. Starting a partial render did fix that for me as it brings Poser back to ’normal’ state.