Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes

• Ok, so I get that EZSkin and D3D overlay are going to treat the tattoos as something they aren't, so what's the next step to make the tattoos something that they are? This is actually all new to me, so forgive me for not getting it right away, I've never actually used a specular map before or had an issue with black causing this kind of problem.

I do find it interesting how EZSkin and UltimateRealismKit differ in trying to achieve the same results (and yes, I realize that EZSkin uses SSS and the other doesn't), it really shows that 1+2 doesn't always equal 3 :P

• @bagginsbill said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

I'm pretty sure the overlay script blends the skin texture with the tattoo (literally a Blend node) and then connects the blend to everywhere that the skin texture used to go.

This would result in the tattoo being fed to the hair detector.

There is little chance that the D3D script would notice that the texture is going to a hair detector and leave it alone.

Then surely you could just change what goes to the hair detector linking just the diffuse map and leaving everything else alone?

• Poser Ambassadors

As I said there are two approaches. First I need to know if the texture set you intend to use has a spec map or not.

Load the basic texture set, however it came from the vendor.
    Run EZSkin 3.
    Open the advanced material and look at the bottom right.

Do you have a specular map like this?

0_1488136193487_upload-752731b3-7e6e-4ed3-b8f4-42e7985c221d

• Poser Ambassadors

Or does it look like this with no spec map?

0_1488136452345_upload-1fc427d7-2d8f-4629-8a18-785af67c9984

• Nope, no spec map at all, never knew such a thing every existed or was needed. I don't mind a little extra work on my spaghetti if it gets the tattoos to render correctly, I only have a couple characters that have tats like this :D

I would like to know both ways with or without a spec map. I would also need to know how to set up the spec map so that EZSkin knows what to do with it.

Also, should I upload some images showing what I'm working with?

• Poser Ambassadors

OK you just asked for both ways.

The way to do this if you have a spec map was already given. Here it is again.

@bagginsbill said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

Now, if your texture set actually DOES have a specular map, you can and should tell EZSkin to use that instead of its procedural map.
    Click the "Edit skin" button.
    Find the Specular category (or use the Show category: Specular pulldown)
    There is a Type pulldown that says Procedural specular. Change that to "Prefer Specular Map" or "Specular Map or nothing" -- whichever makes sense for your situation.

• Poser Ambassadors

Now as you do not have a spec map, you want to

• Apply basic textures
    • Run EZSkin to fix them up
    • Run the D3D script to add the tattoo

Then you will need to edit the resulting material to fix the small mistake this creates. I don't have the D3D tool so I can't tell you what to edit.

Normally I'd tell somebody to put the wires for the specular stuff back to the original color map. In fact I said that above:

"you should be able to rewire the specular map detector stuff to point back straight at the original, un-tattooe'd texture map. Although that's an extra step, it's not that hard. I'm assuming the tattoo is in just one material."

But it seems this is not detailed enough.

So you'll need to get up to that step and then do a screen shot showing me how the D3D script inserted the tattoo stuff. Then I'll be able to give specific instructions.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi folks,
    just to clarify:
    EZSkin does not have a feature for overlaying tattoos/makeup/scars etc.

I was planning to do it, but the D3D tool referred to elsewhere in this thread came out and made its functionality in EZSkin redundant. Please bear in mind that (a) EZSkin is free so does not warrant unnecessary effort on my part and (b) I want to see cool script makers like D3D prosper, so don't want to challenge their sales in any way. My aim has always been to make utilities for which there wasn't a commercial alternative.

The 'overlay' feature that can be found hidden away in EZSkin's menu system was just a very specific request by a single user to facilitate blending a figure's face skin with its lips material to avoid a harsh dividing line between the two. It seems to work well for that purpose, but it may not be any use for any other kind of overlaying.

I'm not planning to do any further work on EZSkin so it is unlikely that true overlays will ever be added now (at least, by me). If anybody thinks they can improve EZSkin then contact me privately to discuss sharing the source code etc. I'm not averse to helping somebody else to do what I can no longer find time or motivation to do. Only serious approaches, though, please.

NB: I shall leave Bagginsbill to provide further advice here because he designed the shader and understands its nuances better than anyone else :)

• Lol, sorry, I totally spaced on that when you described what to do if I have a spec map, kinda flew over my head and I didn't make the connection that's what you were talking about.

So then, what is a spec map, specifically, it looks like a gray scale image of the main texture, but I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

• @Snarlygribbly said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

I was planning to do it, but the D3D tool referred to elsewhere in this thread came out and made its functionality in EZSkin redundant. Please bear in mind that (a) EZSkin is free so does not warrant unnecessary effort on my part and (b) I want to see cool script makers like D3D prosper, so don't want to challenge their sales in any way. My aim has always been to make utilities for which there wasn't a commercial alternative.

You, sir, need to set up a tip jar of some kind so that we can drop some funds into your hands for the work you've done with this particular script. I don't know how many people would find out about it, but just something I thought of.

• Ho'kay, so, here's the spaghetti nodes in all their stringy glory:

0_1488149784888_overlay 1.jpg

Using good 'ol V3 for this one.

I did go with using the D3D overlay for now and I tried to mirror the layout of EZSkin, D3D stacked all the nodes together, which is fine, but I figure for the purpose of this thread I would make sure the layout is like it is if I used EZSkin alone. The overlay nodes are at the bottom of the image.

Now, I wasn't totally sure if I did the overlay image correctly, I read that I needed to make was is essentially a transmap so that only the tattoos show through and not the rest of the image, however I may have misread what was needed.

• I was going to edit my last post, buuuut there's a time limit... shakes fist

So, I did some playing around and while I would like to say I'm on to something, I'm not sure if I am. I figured out that if I inverted the tattoo mask and then got rid of the Invert_Overlay node, then just plugged the mask into the nodes directly, I get the exact same result. While this doesn't exactly solve my problem, it does help in that I learned a new thing about overlays :D

0_1488152822808_overlay 2.jpg

• if you are using Poser 11 you can use layers. That might make things easier on you. Crate a new layer, use your mask to make the top layer transparent where you want to see skin and then whatever stuff you got for the tattoos.

• @ghostship said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

if you are using Poser 11 you can use layers. That might make things easier on you. Crate a new layer, use your mask to make the top layer transparent where you want to see skin and then whatever stuff you got for the tattoos.

Layers had crossed my mind, but I thought they only worked in Superfly.

• @cujoe_da_man yes, only in superfly

• @ghostship said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

@cujoe_da_man yes, only in superfly

Yep, so we'll have to skip that option until I have a system that can actually render Superfly.

• @cujoe_da_man said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

@morkonan

The script acts broken, I tried to load it, but it just throws out errors. I'm not too upset about it, though since EZSkin can do pretty much the same thing with much, much less nodes now that SSS is involved (I couldn't do that when I was still using Poser 7) :D

Make sure you have the latest update. IIRC, it did get an update release for P11. (Face-off's Realskin Shader, just to clarify.) Also, make sure it's included in both your remote runtime directory and Poser's native, local, runtime directory. This is a common issue with python scripts that can't find the libraries referenced in them when they're only located in a remote runtime.

• @morkonan

Like I said, it's the script that's broken, not Poser, it won't even initialize when I try to use it, but I like the results of EZSkin3 better anyway because it uses real SSS that they other doesn't.

• @cujoe_da_man said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

@morkonan

Like I said, it's the script that's broken, not Poser, it won't even initialize when I try to use it, but I like the results of EZSkin3 better anyway because it uses real SSS that they other doesn't.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I just wanted to let you know that Faceoff's script works just fine in P11. (Make sure you grab the update.) The thing I like about it is that you can use it to get a quick decent render without having to wait for SSS rendering. So, if you're checking how your scene construction is progressing, you don't have to stare at "plastic-looking" figures while working with lights/positioning objects, other material effects, etc.. It's still a decent fake SSS shader.

• @morkonan

I totally misread what you posted, it was late, I was tired, brain was shut down :P