Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes

• Ho'kay, so, here's the spaghetti nodes in all their stringy glory:

0_1488149784888_overlay 1.jpg

Using good 'ol V3 for this one.

I did go with using the D3D overlay for now and I tried to mirror the layout of EZSkin, D3D stacked all the nodes together, which is fine, but I figure for the purpose of this thread I would make sure the layout is like it is if I used EZSkin alone. The overlay nodes are at the bottom of the image.

Now, I wasn't totally sure if I did the overlay image correctly, I read that I needed to make was is essentially a transmap so that only the tattoos show through and not the rest of the image, however I may have misread what was needed.

• I was going to edit my last post, buuuut there's a time limit... shakes fist

So, I did some playing around and while I would like to say I'm on to something, I'm not sure if I am. I figured out that if I inverted the tattoo mask and then got rid of the Invert_Overlay node, then just plugged the mask into the nodes directly, I get the exact same result. While this doesn't exactly solve my problem, it does help in that I learned a new thing about overlays :D

0_1488152822808_overlay 2.jpg

• if you are using Poser 11 you can use layers. That might make things easier on you. Crate a new layer, use your mask to make the top layer transparent where you want to see skin and then whatever stuff you got for the tattoos.

• @ghostship said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

if you are using Poser 11 you can use layers. That might make things easier on you. Crate a new layer, use your mask to make the top layer transparent where you want to see skin and then whatever stuff you got for the tattoos.

Layers had crossed my mind, but I thought they only worked in Superfly.

• @cujoe_da_man yes, only in superfly

• @ghostship said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

@cujoe_da_man yes, only in superfly

Yep, so we'll have to skip that option until I have a system that can actually render Superfly.

• @cujoe_da_man said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

@morkonan

The script acts broken, I tried to load it, but it just throws out errors. I'm not too upset about it, though since EZSkin can do pretty much the same thing with much, much less nodes now that SSS is involved (I couldn't do that when I was still using Poser 7) :D

Make sure you have the latest update. IIRC, it did get an update release for P11. (Face-off's Realskin Shader, just to clarify.) Also, make sure it's included in both your remote runtime directory and Poser's native, local, runtime directory. This is a common issue with python scripts that can't find the libraries referenced in them when they're only located in a remote runtime.

• @morkonan

Like I said, it's the script that's broken, not Poser, it won't even initialize when I try to use it, but I like the results of EZSkin3 better anyway because it uses real SSS that they other doesn't.

• @cujoe_da_man said in Black tattoos creating a mask in EZSkin nodes:

@morkonan

Like I said, it's the script that's broken, not Poser, it won't even initialize when I try to use it, but I like the results of EZSkin3 better anyway because it uses real SSS that they other doesn't.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I just wanted to let you know that Faceoff's script works just fine in P11. (Make sure you grab the update.) The thing I like about it is that you can use it to get a quick decent render without having to wait for SSS rendering. So, if you're checking how your scene construction is progressing, you don't have to stare at "plastic-looking" figures while working with lights/positioning objects, other material effects, etc.. It's still a decent fake SSS shader.

• @morkonan

I totally misread what you posted, it was late, I was tired, brain was shut down :P

• @cujoe_da_man

LOL! No worries, I do the same thing all the time... Late Night Internet Effect. :)