Where Do I Learn How To Draw?

• Hi all!
    New to CSP Pro... just got it 'cause I want to create my own digital comics...

And in a case of I perhaps leaped before I looked -- now that I have the best program for creating comics, I don't know how to draw them!

Ooops! Cart before the horse problem, right?

Sooo... best suggestions for online programs/tutorials/whatevers that would teach me starting out with the basics and get me up to the level of figure drawing and superhero figure drawing?

It would be much appreciated!

• well poser was originally designed as an artist assistant. you set up the scenes then copy them. I prefer using the poser renders but I also like to do a lot of postwork, and am inclined to do more and more as I improve.
    www.pacefiction.com
    love esther

• Poser Team

There are more than a few videos about it on this guys Youtube channel.

Reuben Lara's Youtube Channel

There is a 3 part tutorial on Brian Allen's Youtube channel as well.

• there's reference material literally everywhere. try looking beyond your computer, too … libraries, etc… but the best way is to just get started actually drawing ~ the more mediums the better
    pencil and paper is pretty hard to beat for cost and accessibility

art schools usually offer very reasonable LIFE DRAWING group rates for sessions open to local community beyond enrolled students

• said in Where Do I Learn How To Draw?:

online programs/tutorials/whatevers that would teach me starting out with the basics and get me up to the level of figure drawing and superhero figure drawing?

I probably should have been clearer in my original post bc I'm not looking for a bunch of random YT videos, random material everywhere etc... I'm looking for an online structured curriculum, all digital, to teach me to draw digitally (no physical paper, pens, brushes).

I have CSP's Curriculum Guide but it's just for getting prefecient with CSP.

I'm looking for something like Joe and Adam Kubert have for comicbook artists: http://kubertschool.edu/correspondence-courses.html

They have a correspondence course but unfortunately it's physical-based, not digital.

A digital version of that by established legends in the field would be ideal!

Anyone know of such a thing?

• Gnomon has some pretty good instructional videos.

• Poser Team

@jkdkid

This site offers structured courses on digital painting.

Ctrl Paint

Some are free, others are not.

• @jkdkid said in Where Do I Learn How To Draw?:

I haven't seen any of "CSP's Curriculum Guide" yet ~ is there a voice-over in English?
    Do you recommend it over other tutorials?

I have CSP's Curriculum Guide but it's just for getting prefecient with CSP.

Lynda.Com has lots of superb quality material on specific software as well as more general drawing and graphic art courses - worth checking if you have online access through your library.

Anyone know of such a thing?

• Right Thanks @jkdkid I saw it (1/2 price for one more day) before I asked you about it ~ unfortunately, there's no example beyond the screenshots or info about who if anyone is teaching the course -- that's why I'm asking if there's a voice over

as I just posted in the other thread Doug Hills Animation Tutorial they're offering is quite good

FYI here's just one playlist from Lynda.Com with tutorials you might like based on your posts above
    https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Design/become-a-comic-book-artist
    there are LOTS more …in many other fields, too

• I suggest...
    Digital Painting Lesson 1: The basics of using a graphics tablet and
    35 Tutorials and Guides for Working With Wacom Tablets

Now these are NOT specific to CSP, but to drawing with a graphics tablet. I learned to do that on Paint Tool SAI, and then graduated to CSP for the features.

• After tapping into the collective brain trust here, before I sign off from the thread, thought I would kinda sum up what I learned.

First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to help.

Ultimately I found what I was looking for -- one from a direct suggestion in this thread and the other out of frustration of reading some of the suggestions. ;-)

To start I'm going to go with the drawing courses found at https://www.udemy.com and the https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Design/become-a-comic-book-artist.

That should get me a good grounding in the basics. After that, who knows?

I privately emailed some of the udemy instrcutors to see if I was a good fit for their course and the collective wisdom was... well, one instructor pretty much said what all the others said, so here it is in the hopes it will help others in the future with the same question:

"Hi Walter,
    The best advice I can offer is to start with basic primitive shapes first. Get used to
    drawing them at various angles. Use them to construct body poses and feel more
    comfortable seeing in a 3D perspective on the blank canvas. Do lots of quick
    figure drawing studies. Don't worry about everything looking correct at first, that
    will come later. Focus on the movement of the body and the size relationship of
    the forms.
    The main thing is to commit to a certain amount of time each day to see real
    improvements. "

• Cool @jkdkid Glad you found what you were looking for!

I wish you would have replied to me before I bought the "Curriculum" Tutorial with videos hosted by none other than Doug Hills again - Had I known that he was hosting the videos I would not have bought it, there's just too many of his clips out there already. OTOH, the new Animation course he also hosts which I bought just a day or two before is really worthwhile though because outside of some truly terrible and incorrect YouTube videos there's very little correct up-to-date information about the new animation aspects of the CSP upgrade

For others seeking out CSP specific info ~ SmithMicro's Liz Staley CSP Tutorial is another alternative. She also has some Manga Studio books online in the library systems too (if not Lynda perhaps "SafariOnline')

• Digital illustration is foremost a familiarity with the available tools [and programs that offer them]; it's also an understanding of advantageous use of layers, and the benefits of non-destructive undo.

But to learn from scratch ~the basics of drawing... Well you need that to do either style, and digital mainly just allows shortcuts to coloring, and deformation of the work in ways that are just not feasible in traditional media.

The best way to start drawing IMO [30 years a pro] is with a pencil and a [paper] notebook, and good hands on instruction.
    A live class with instructor is best, but informative books are the next best.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Brain-Betty-Edwards/dp/0874775132/
    Burn Hogarth's Books: https://www.amazon.com/Burne-Hogarth/e/B000APHOOK/

Master the pencil, and digital becomes a wonderful new set of tools to use... but in my experience digital gets in the way of learning the basics. For one thing, it makes it too easy to get rid of mistakes; mistakes are things to learn from, and you don't if you undo them. In Clip Studio, you can make a book of practice work, but it's honestly easier to just draw in a sketch book, and flip back over your work.

*Autodesk Sketchbook is about the closest thing to a real sketchbook that I have seen. It doesn't hold a candle to Clip Studio (or a real sketchbook), but for digital quick sketching ~it's king. If you won't try with pencil & paper, try Autodesk.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.