A couple of Text/Font questions...

• Working with the latest update of CSP 1.6.2

alt text

1. Line spacing. -As in, the space between the tops and bottoms of words in a paragraph. How do you manipulate it? I can't seem to find any settings for this.

2. What happened to my font? That digital static in the first letter slot of the word "Other" is supposed to be an "O". The same thing happens with the coma. -I suspect it has to do with the way I designed the font many moons ago, but it has never presented difficulties in any of the other software packages I've used it with over the years. Until now.

1. You'll have to go to the Sub Tool Detail Palette and look for the slider called Line. Change the slider before clicking on the screen and activating the text tool or the settings won't stick the next time you use it.

2. CSP doesn't do Open Type. I've never seen anything like what's happening with your O before and I don't know what OT feature would cause this to happen (assuming you made an OT font). Are you able to open your original working font file and save as True Type (assuming it isn't already)? If this weird thing still happens then.. dunno....

1. That did it. Thanks!

2. It's already a True Type font. I suspect I'll have to revisit and tinker with it in order to get it working with CSP's little text engine. What a pain. Still.., it's been fifteen years since I first made it. It could probably do with an update.

• Another question...

1. How do you adjust the kerning?

(I re-exported my font from an editor without making any changes, and now magically the "O" isn't glitching. Who knows why? I don't. Whatever. Hold your breath and cross your fingers while clicking enter. Sometimes that works, apparently.)

• What I do is go to the Sub Tool Detail palette and change the Word Spacing to Indicator. I set the indicator points to 0, -0.3, -0.6, -0.9, and -1.2. For the troublesome letter pairs you highlight the letter to the left and click the indicator space that looks best.

0_1488522385311_TEXT.jpg

Above you can see that the Y in the first YOU has been adjusted by -1.2 and the D in DON'T has been set to -0.9.

• I stumbled across a good thing with text the other day. I was changing all the font sizes on a page (a real pain because you have to do it one balloon at a time, and select all the text first.) But I discovered that if you select the text with the object tool and not the text tool you can change the font size without selecting the text first. You can also change word space, line space, vertical and horizontal ratio etc. It's a big time saver.

I hated text in CSP for a long time, but I'm actually starting to like it now. If they would add just a few features it would be great. You can't beat being able to do it all in the same program.

• Okay, I think I'm getting this...

Though, for some reason, when I try to input values into the Word Space Indicator points, all boxes jump to match the last number I entered, erasing any previous values. Seems like a bug. -However, when I have it set to slider, I can just go up and down to get the adjustment I want per letter.

That all being said, CSP is allowing me to fine-tune the text. Cool!

It's pretty slow-going, though. -The next instance when I use the text tool to enter a sentence, the character spacing is completely jumbled up, presumably by the values I entered previously., so every character in the entry needs to be individually seen to again.

Am I missing something which can make this procedure less click heavy; to preserve character and line formatting from one text entry to the next?

• You can make the equivalent of text styles by copying your text tool multiple times and saving them with different font setting etc. (and give each of them a descriptive name ). I have a separate tool for each of my 5 or 6 most used fonts and sizes. Save then in a sub tool group so you can quickly select them while you have an active text selection. Each time you click on one of them it will apply the different tool settings to the active text. Whichever tool you have active will be the settings that apply to new text you paste in.

As far as the indicator boxes not saving inputs, I can't help you. That works fine for me.

• Another way to change text properties is if you have EX you can open the text editor and with the Text tool selected you can change size, font, word space and so on then click a text box then right click and select apply text tool properties. You can select multiple text boxes either through Shift clicking or Ctrl clicking and change the text properties of multiple text boxes.

The indicator boxes need to go from high value to low value.

• @thatcomicsguy said in A couple of Text/Font questions...:

-The next instance when I use the text tool to enter a sentence, the character spacing is completely jumbled up, presumably by the values I entered previously., so every character in the entry needs to be individually seen to again.

Am I missing something which can make this procedure less click heavy; to preserve character and line formatting from one text entry to the next?

The text tool shouldn't be retaining edits made to the tool while it's active (after clicking in a text box on the page). Any changes made to the text tool while it's active will revert when you use the tool again.

• Garlan, I didn't realize you could change properties on multiple text selections at the same time in story editor, But when I tried it didn't retain bolds and italics. In my case, I decided to shrink the font in a 50 page story and was hoping for a way to do it all at once. But if story editor replaces all the bolds and italics and individual kerning, it's not much good for that. Using the object tool a balloon at a time seems to be better because it retains all the tweaks.

• Also see my tutorial at Deviant Art.

• @PGross I didn't realize the Object tool could retain the Bolds and Italics that way. That's good to know.