Settings for a "Ghost Pen/Pencil"

• Hi,

Getting back into drawing after about a 40 year lapse! So I am relearning a lot of of course practicing with new digital tools. Love CSP. Beats anything including PS.

I am looking for brush (pen/pencil) settings that will allow me to lightly touch my wacom stylus to the surface, practice the stroke (ie. a circle), then press a little harder to get the actual pen/ink stroke. Kind of like a "light sketching" pencil, but with an even finer touch. I found a free brush online somewhere that kind of works like what I am looking for. I looked through the detail brush settings. But I cannot seem to determine which settings allow this.

I hope I am explaining well what I am looking for. Does anyone know the detail settings that allow this?

I have a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16" tablet, with Windows 10.

• If your install is properly calibrated the default "rough pencil" may be close to what you are looking for.

I use a mac so I will be guessing some of this stuff. Firstly I have found that clip studio works best using neutral pressure settings in the wacom control panel. (On my very old cintiq display it works better one click towards lighter touch, but I think that is because the 3rd generation stylus I have is so worn out.)

Create a new document to test your pen or pencil. Choose one of the default pen or pencil tools - the g-pen is a good indicator for pen pressure as it has variable width.
    Then... go to the file menu (i think, maybe edit menu, wherever "Preferences" lives) and choose "Pen pressure settings". Choose "adjust by multiple strokes" and hit the Adjust button. Make a range of strokes on the canvas with a comfortable hand, varying from neutral to light to the highest pressure you would expect to use. Focus mostly on neutral strokes. As long as you are doing this clip studio will change the response graph to match your hand and tablet response. You can try the adjusted result and lock it in when you are happy.

Once this is done you should find the default pens, pencils, chalk etc should respond reasonably well to your hand. Some tools will naturally suit your expected response more, so concentrate on using those until you learn more about the program. EVERYTHING in clip studio is highly customisable, so you can tweak these tools to a very high degree, but leave that until you know more. The steps above will get you set up so that clip studio is responding as intended, which is the most important thing before you branch out into tweaking individual tools.

If you tweak the tip response in the wacom control panel, or if you feel the response is not quite right, go through this pen pressure calibration in clip studio again to get back to a comfortable baseline. Once you have found some tools which work as you expect them to in response to your hand you may again wish to redo this calibration using your favourite tools to test. I have found this can slightly vary the results and hone in on my preferred feel.

Clipstudio is SO customisable that it is difficult to explain how to modify individual "subtools" in a single post, so I'd watch youtube videos for that if you wish to try anything outside tweaking the default sliders. If you do decide to significantly modify brushes duplicate the default brush first before you jump down that rabbit hole. :) You can dig into the settings of a brush (most of which are initially hidden) to change the pressure response curve of different properties individually... but you can probably find what you want with minor tweaks to the default subtool libraries, or in the free clip studio assets store thingie.

Best of luck.

• From the sound of it you need it to be faint when pressing lightly... for this the usual way would be ....
    Duplicate e.g. your G Pen to make a new pen. On the brush tip settings adjust the Brush density to around 45. Then click the little icon to the right of that setting and it brings up a more detailed settings window... in their you need to set it to use Pen pressure with a minimum value of zero. You can fine adjust the curve but probably the straight diagonal graph will be fine. Back on the brush tip tab click the setting below Brush density ( "adjust brush density to gap") . That will .probably do what you want. note if you want to leave pressure to only control brush size then you could use pen tilt to make it less dense for the faint lines.

Another common technique is to use two layers one with layer opacity turned down for your "draft lines" and another for your confirmed drawing... This way you easily clear your draft lines by hiding that layer. Some people will even give the Draft layer a Blue expression color.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.